reliability - will it hold up - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2005, 05:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

reliability - will it hold up

in the C5-ZO6 world as one added HP one also experienced finding the "weak links" - components that break. After upgrading these weak link - components the cars hold together reasonably well.

The C6-ZO6 motor has been upgraded nicely - but the other stuff, have they been upgraded sufficiently (clutch - tranny - rear end - half shafts etc.). Just adding a few mods to the new ZO6 may quickly find weak links. What do ya think?
C5-CU, (next C6 ZO6) SOLD - 02-ZO6, RPM 2 H/C 453rwhp 403rwtq, vortex w/power duct, S2 TB, Kook headers, B&M shifter, RAM 910 clutch/flywheel, LS1-edit by Chris Robinson...best run 1.702 60ft, 7.12 1/8 (101.40mph), 11.16 1/4 (126mph).
C5 CU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Master

I think your right. What specific changes that have made to the drive-train other than the motor is still pretty much unknown.

Last edited by IT L GO; 06-06-2005 at 10:54 AM.
IT L GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jay2002WS6
They're not "weak links". The car is produced to hold together as-is... not to hold together when you throw a nitrous shot or supercharger on it. Certain things can take more abuse than others - that's a given... but calling a part "weak" because it couldn't hold up to the mods is pretty unfair. If you don't want stock parts to break, then either don't mod, or don't leave the stock parts on.

But anyway... yes, the drivetrain has indeed been upgraded to withstand the extra HP from the factory. If you want to push the LS7 to 600+ HP, then you still may need to do some work, I don't know... but I am sure the tuners will find out.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

[QUOTE=Jay2002WS6]They're not "weak links". The car is produced to hold together as-is...

except for the clutch (?)
Old 06-06-2005, 05:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2002WS6
They're not "weak links". The car is produced to hold together as-is... not to hold together when you throw a nitrous shot or supercharger on it. Certain things can take more abuse than others - that's a given... but calling a part "weak" because it couldn't hold up to the mods is pretty unfair. If you don't want stock parts to break, then either don't mod, or don't leave the stock parts on.

But anyway... yes, the drivetrain has indeed been upgraded to withstand the extra HP from the factory. If you want to push the LS7 to 600+ HP, then you still may need to do some work, I don't know... but I am sure the tuners will find out.

Im with you on this, take aside the mods, racing it makes stuff brake too, and some would say for instance on our Z06s the weak link is the output shaft, but have you ever seen one brake under normail driving? I dont think that ever happened , also the clutches, as my experience I couldnt ask for more out of my clutch, I beat on it, there might be ones that malafunction, but as far as the Z06 clutch you couldnt ask for a better one stock...

If we drove our Z06s like we drive our Honda Accords or chevy Tohoes ect. We would never find out what is the so called "weak Links". But we can call it that as a nick name , Its more like the "weakest Link" but my opinion there is no weak link on our Z06s
COUTO1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

[QUOTE=C5 CU]
Quote:
They're not "weak links". The car is produced to hold together as-is...

If only use your stock street tires, and while not shifting keep your foot away from it, you would find that the clutch is anything but weak :oo:
Old 06-06-2005, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

What about the paper synchro's we get? Wouldn't that count as a weak link. Sorry, if the Z06 video that comes with the car says you can race it - it was designed for it. The Z06 was not sold as a car that you are supposed to drive it like an accord. Now don't assume I mean flooring it 24/7 either. I still think the tranny components were not up to the job, and I'd really worry when you add another 100 hp with a Z07.

My 2 cents.
::Recent adds: HID's and seat bolster mod - best 0 cents I ever spent. B&M Ripper - One tough mofo to shift.
::Mod bug: HUD INSTALLED!! (the most terrifying install ever - bar none)
djstylze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstylze
What about the paper synchro's we get? Wouldn't that count as a weak link. Sorry, if the Z06 video that comes with the car says you can race it - it was designed for it. The Z06 was not sold as a car that you are supposed to drive it like an accord. Now don't assume I mean flooring it 24/7 either. I still think the tranny components were not up to the job, and I'd really worry when you add another 100 hp with a Z07.

My 2 cents.

I see your point, but I've beaten on my for 21k+ miles and nothing went wrong yet, I dont think they said it would hold up for this long if everytime I made a turn that I could pop the clutch in 2nd and spin tires passed that, but It held up so far, I didnt mean to say that our cars were meant to be driven like an Accord, I meant it would go something towards 200k miles if not passed taht when driven with sense
Old 06-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

[QUOTE=C5 CU]
Quote:
They're not "weak links". The car is produced to hold together as-is...

Quit using it as a footrest and it holds up real well.
fgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

[QUOTE=fgordon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 CU

Quit using it as a footrest and it holds up real well.
Thats what I said, most of the time its the reason for premature wear
Old 06-07-2005, 05:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

[QUOTE=COUTO1981]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgordon

Thats what I said, most of the time its the reason for premature wear
what do we tell all the folks who's clutch stuck to to the floor ... it wasn't GM problem but it was their problem becuase they all left their foot on clutch while driving ...

I do agree in general these cars hold up pretty darn good but when one does add a few rwhp the same several components seem to break or have problems.
C5-CU, (next C6 ZO6) SOLD - 02-ZO6, RPM 2 H/C 453rwhp 403rwtq, vortex w/power duct, S2 TB, Kook headers, B&M shifter, RAM 910 clutch/flywheel, LS1-edit by Chris Robinson...best run 1.702 60ft, 7.12 1/8 (101.40mph), 11.16 1/4 (126mph).
Old 06-07-2005, 06:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

[QUOTE=C5 CU]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUTO1981

what do we tell all the folks who's clutch stuck to to the floor ... it wasn't GM problem but it was their problem becuase they all left their foot on clutch while driving ...

I do agree in general these cars hold up pretty darn good but when one does add a few rwhp the same several components seem to break or have problems.

I was not talking about from that "supposely' sticking clutch problem, plus didnt the poll of who and who didnt have it the sticking clutch problem end up like 75% not having the sticking clutch problem. I voted for having a sticking clutch problem, because when I go down the 1/4 mile it does tend to stick down lower, and only when going down the 1/4, so it happen 25 times the past three years, Im pretty sure others that voted for a having the problem race it at a track as well. Yea , the Z06 was meant to be raced but was there so many other cars, and they dont have the sticking clutch problem, their clutch brakes or fades away after a few passes , I dont know a clutch that can hold up as much as our Z06s stock...

go head, name a car that you think it has a more durable clutch stock and I'll let you know If I been in involved in it or around it to know, I'll go head and list the ones you can forget about not mentioning:

Bmw M3
Porsche's 911s
Ferrari's 360s
Supras
Cobras
other Mustangs(mine broke , it didnt wear off)
300 and 350z/g35s
Audi S4
Mitsu Evo
WRX STI ( last 3 are weak ofcourse because AWD)

If theres one I missed that might have a better clutch then the Z06?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

From what I have seen by modifying cars thru the years I think most sports cars can easily handle another 80-130 hp before you have to upgrade alot. That's the great thing about American V8s, they are so lazy. What I mean by that is they are barely trying straight from the factory. There is so much room to mod. That's what I hated about my M3 and my 355. They were already tuned to the limit unless you added forced induction which is really expensive on those cars.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zed
Z06 Authority

[QUOTE=C5 CU]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUTO1981

The sticking wasn't the clutch... it was the slave... at 31,000 miles I replace my slave (pedel wouldn't come back) and decided to do the cluch also being I was in there...

Surprised as I was the clutch was fine... the car had been heavily driven... lots of drag racing... lots of hard driving... the stock clutch wasn't even half worn out... I still put in an Exedy being I was in there.

Zed

Bolt-Ons: 12.2 @ 116
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

With the possible exception of the 01 engines and early aluminum shift forks, I think these cars, if left stock, are very reliable. My 04 has been bulletproof to this point.

I would suggest that the C6 Z06 will be reliable, as it seems to have been engineered stem to stern to be a hi-po car. I doubt it will be as reliable as a Ford pickup, but then sports cars are not supposed to be in that class. Getting higher performance and light weight usually involves some compromises, but I am confident it will be as reliable or more so than any of its competition.

As for the general comments that the Z was "meant to be raced" and therefore should hold up when being beaten on, I would suggest to you that many pro racing cars that are clearly meant to be raced (duh) break very frequently. Racing any car will take its toll and will cause breakage.
2004 Blk/Blk Z06

Last edited by quickZ; 06-08-2005 at 09:11 AM.
quickZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road