update on oil change screw up! - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

update on oil change screw up!

A while back I posted about my dealership screwing up on an oil change. The thread was pulled until legal proceedings were finished with.

A quick outline of what happened

Brought car in for an oilchange and shifter linkage issues. When the car was ready to be picked up the motor had a ticking noise that was not there previously. Following day they pulled my motor without my consent? Motor was put back together and noise still there. Entire engine was now dissasembled right down to the bare block, all pistons, rods etc laying on a dirty bench, heads apart again, you get the picture.
Car put back together, noise still there, an independant motor builder finds the problem and fixes it. Two pistons were changed and an assortment of other parts associated with it.
41 days later I bring my car home and continue to have some idling issues. The problem just seemed to go away, now it starts and runs well.

I found out thru the grapevine that the oil change was not done properly. Seems that they put an amateur on it and the oil in the sump was not removed. I'm not sure how many litres remains in there but after the recommended amount of oil was added the car was started and it stalled shortly after. I've since confronted the shop foreman about it and he agreed this is what happened. He has assured me all the seals were replaced and I shouldn't have any more problems.
Should I be concerned that this car will not have the normal life expentancy or am I worrying to much about it. I just think of it everytime I get in for a ride that something will go wrong. I have since priced out a viper and an m3 but neither car does it for me. I will keep this one for a year or so and hopefully the zr1 will come down in price.
Attached Thumbnails
update on oil change screw up!-cottage-work-etc-003-medium-.jpg   update on oil change screw up!-cottage-work-etc-002-medium-.jpg  
zedosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Re: update on oil change screw up!

Sorry to hear about the bad experience. Enjoy the car and drive it as much as possible just look for oil leaks under the car. If no leaks or noises they put it back together right. I had a bad experience with my then new 87 convertible but it was tires not an engine. Try to put it all behind you if she blows they owe you a new motor this time simple as that. GM usually will try to make thr repair once then they replace. Good Luck to you.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Yuma, Az. ?????? Z06 Fest IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII & Winterfest 1,2,3 & 4
Lifetime Premium Member

I remember reading about this, sorry to hear about all of your problems with that dealership. As mentioned above, drive the car and enjoy it (if you have nice weather). Any problems will be on their dime.

Sig by GR8 White (modified by Speedratchet)
2004 MS/BLK
Still retired out in the middle of nowhere.
YumaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

I see in your sig line that you have an '07. You might check to see when your build date is. Engines built Jan to Aug 2007 have had rocker trunion failures significantly above normal. Look for bearings on your magnetic drain plugs...
NORTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
I see in your sig line that you have an '07. You might check to see when your build date is. Engines built Jan to Aug 2007 have had rocker trunion failures significantly above normal. Look for bearings on your magnetic drain plugs...
I believe it was built early 2006. Just a note about the car now, it does drive real strong but my concerns are more about when I put it for sale. If I try to sell private I believe most guys (gals) would pass it up once they checked the history of the motor. My best bet is just trading up once the warranty is finsihed.
Thanks for the replies. All is good,
Old 12-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
If I try to sell private I believe most guys (gals) would pass it up once they checked the history of the motor. My best bet is just trading up once the warranty is finsihed.
Thanks for the replies. All is good,
History?

Have your dealer get you a GMVIS Warranty History for your car, by Serial #. No charge. THAT will tell you/them/potential future buyer what the "official" GM Warranty History is, and therefore what information may be in the public domain.

If it's an '07, your GM Powertrain Warranty is 60 months or 160,000 km.

PowerPro01 sez "STAY TUNED"... GarettO's the SigGod!
PowerPro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPro01 View Post
History?

Have your dealer get you a GMVIS Warranty History for your car, by Serial #. No charge. THAT will tell you/them/potential future buyer what the "official" GM Warranty History is, and therefore what information may be in the public domain.

If it's an '07, your GM Powertrain Warranty is 60 months or 160,000 km.
No one will want that car after they know two pistons and valve train were swapped.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Location: Yuma, Az. ?????? Z06 Fest IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII & Winterfest 1,2,3 & 4
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
No one will want that car after they know two pistons and valve train were swapped.
That may be the case, so enjoy the hell out of it and when you are ready, trade up for a newer model.

Sig by GR8 White (modified by Speedratchet)
2004 MS/BLK
Still retired out in the middle of nowhere.
YumaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Quote:

My intended point was, get the GMVIS report and THEN you'll know what is/isn't "in the public domain..."

I'm sure you're not the 1st Z06 owner to have Warranty work done internally on your engine and, in and of itself, a Warranty repair does NOT automatically devalue the car by gazillion$...

PowerPro01 sez "STAY TUNED"... GarettO's the SigGod!
PowerPro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPro01 View Post
My intended point was, get the GMVIS report and THEN you'll know what is/isn't "in the public domain..."

I'm sure you're not the 1st Z06 owner to have Warranty work done internally on your engine and, in and of itself, a Warranty repair does NOT automatically devalue the car by gazillion$...
No I agree, it doesn't devalue it by a gazillion dollars? But if I were to buy a car of this caliber or most people for that matter, I would turn my head away from the one that was ripped apart and go for the virgin. I mean who wouldn't. Its been devalued plain and simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road