Chevy, Ford, or Dodge pickup truck?? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Other Z06 Topics > The Garage (non Vette related)
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Chevy, Ford, or Dodge pickup truck??

I know I posted probably several times in the last few years about buying a new truck, but this time I'm serious. My 1999 van is going to Colorado to be a tool van for my son's motorcycle thing, and Ms Cathy gave me the green light to get a new pickup. I've been driving Ford trucks for 35 years, but my son tells me the new transmissions are trouble and he said get the Dodge. I've never been a Mopar guy, don't think I can do that. What do you like or dislike about new Chevy, Ford, or Dodge pickups?
proexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Master

Re: Chevy, Ford, or Dodge pickup truck??

I'm not in the market for a pickup, but if I was I'd probably be looking at a F150 Raptor. Pretty cool and they seem to hold their resale value too.

Out of curiosity, why a pickup? Is it going to be used for work, play, or just for trips to Home Depot?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Send a message via ICQ to BigJimZ16 Send a message via AIM to BigJimZ16

Were it me, I'd stay as far away from the Chrysler Products as possible, my step-son sells them and he tells some real horror stories about quality and electrical problems. I'm a Chevy man myself and love my Avalanche!!
Z06/Z16 #1689 of 2025
BigJimZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Good friend just gave up after 12th trip to dealer with his new Dodge. One bad example doesn't mean they are all bad, but he's now driving a bling loaded diesel Ford Crew Cab with long box. I'm not a Ford fan either, but I'd get a Ford before a Dodge/Chrysler. My choice since early 80's thru several pickups has been half ton GMC. I currently have a crew cab with a short box. I prefer the 60/40 bench cloth seats with fold down arm rest over buckets with center console-can't have rifle next to me between driver and passenger with buckets and console. The new 5.3 motor with over 300 hp runs stronger than I need, has 6 speed auto trans,tow/haul mode that changes shift points, manual mode with toggle switch to shift gears up or down (good in mountains so don't have to ride the brakes going down the mountain-just pull gear shift lever to M and shift down gears with toggle switch until you get the engine braking you want), the 4 wheel drive has a locked high range and low range plus an auto mode that moves traction between front and rear depending upon wheel slip, plus it has a two wheel drive mode and gets 17 to 19 miles to the gallon on the highway at elevations usually above 3500 feet depending upon speed. Whether you buy one or not, you owe it to yourself to at least go for a test ride in one.
chjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

I'm on my third F150. They've all been very reliable. My current 05 still looks and runs like new.

My second choice would be a GM.

Third choice I guess would be a Toyota or Nissan.

Would not buy a Dodge. My next door neighbor had one and he said it was a POS.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Master

vant - pulling a small boat (20 ft), when I get another one, and for going to lunch daily, we both work at home. When I built an addition on the house, I made lots of trips to Home Depot hauling lumber and such in the conversion van.

chjw - yes I'm test driving both GM and Ford. I like the 5.0 in the Ford with 360 hp and 380 torque.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Lifetime Premium Member

I'm not sure this is relevant but I've owned 7 or 8 Tahoe's, including my 2012 model, and I have been nothing but pleased. Extraordinary dependability and good gas mileage. Since the Tahoe is based on the Silverado platform, I guess I'm giving the Silverado a recommendation.

Mike

btw, pulled a 24' trailer with my C5 in it several times with no issues
MikesZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member

TOYOTA,TOYOTA,TOYOTA, they don't break and they get good gas mileage.
4vettezo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jim Lembo
Lifetime Premium Member

I have been driving Chevy pick-ups for years and won't buy anything else.
I still own a '04 Duramax that my crew uses for work and it has been excellent. My current personal work truck is a '12 1/2 ton Silverado Extended cab with the 6.2 motor and 6 speed Auto. I use it for towing my car trailer, boat and various equipment trailers I use in my business. Great truck, rides great, has tons of power and gets decent mileage when not towing.
I did own a '99 Ford Super Duty with the 7.3 Powerstroke for 3 years/100k miles and it was also a great truck, but it wasn't an automatic, I ordered it with the 6 speed manual and was glad I did. The only Dodge I owned was a '92 Dakota which was a POS,,,,,things literally started falling off of it at 35k miles. I will never buy another Chrysler product! Ford or GM and you'll be OK, not Dodge!

Jimbo
'03 EB/mod blue, LME/V-Max 416, AFR 225's, Comp Custom cam from Pete at V-Max, 3" custom exhaust and lots of attitude! 10.47@133.38 Z06 Fest member III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII and Winterfests 1, 2, 3 & 4. 543rwhp/493rwtq, all motor!
Jim Lembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab that is a beautiful truck with the 6 liter engine. Plenty of HP. It gets 17 mpg which is not an industry leader but it is fine for what I use it for. Used to be my daily driver but I now have a CTS Cadillac for that chore. The truck sits in my machine shed for special assignments. Only has 50,000 miles on it but it looks brand new. Runs on 20" GMC wheels and has nice black leather interior. A pick up is something you will always hold onto for the flexibility it gives you. It is as plush and loaded as any luxury car. I would only consider a Ford as a possible replacement. 100% trouble free.
MiamiCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

I've had both Ford and Chevy trucks...all good with no problems.

Currently in a 2007 Silverado Club cab with the Aluminum 6.0 and the only problem so far was, I some how broke the tag light. Dealer replaced for free.
Great truck !!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by vant View Post
I'm not in the market for a pickup, but if I was I'd probably be looking at a F150 Raptor. Pretty cool and they seem to hold their resale value too.
I was due for a new truck and ordered a Raptor. Just got it a week ago and absolutely love it. It's the Z06 of pickups. This is my 3rd F150 in 18 yrs or so and the only problem I had on the previous two were a bad set of rotors that were replaced under warranty.
I would try a Chevy but wanted something a bit more unique.

02 EB Z gone , VY 08 gone , lonely garage currently.
Who is John Galt ?

Last edited by scotts; 02-27-2013 at 07:33 AM.
scotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Z06 Master

I forgot one important consideraton, the budget is $35,000 max, which rules out most of the cool choices, like the Raptor.

Scott - feel free to post up some pics of that new truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Other Z06 Topics > The Garage (non Vette related)