Air Conditioner stops working at Idle - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Tuning & Electronics
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to blinkimgone04
Angry Air Conditioner stops working at Idle

Hi Everyone,

I need an expert tech to help me.

My A/C was working very randomly so I took it into my local dealership.

They replaced the connector pin to the fan that runs after you shut the car off because it was burnt out under warranty.

When I picked my car up to go to my gym everything seemed to run fine. The streets I take have a LOT of stop lights, during heavy traffic, etc. My a/c started to blow warm air only at idle at basically every stoplight. Once I got the car going it would start blowing ice cold. It had a smell of "stagnant air" at idle.

Took it back to the dealership. The director of service drove my car home that night and he said it didn't act up on him once. I picked my car up the next day and at least I got a free car wash out of it. I accepted the answer that it worked for him EVEN THOUGH it wasn't working for me.

Couple of day passes (now today) and I'm driving my car in town and hit a few red lights and the a/c seemed to be working. I go through a drive-through and sit there for 2 minutes (at least) and sure enough my a/c blows warm. I live in Texas and right now it's 102º out. Take off away from the drive-through and it starts working again.

Below is a picture I took of my a/c display unit as it was blowing hot air.

Anybody have any ideas ?

2007 Z06 (Black) Vortech T-Trim 4 PSI "I swear it's stock" w/Borla S-Type Cat-Back exhaust. NT05's on all corners.
blinkimgone04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Re: Air Conditioner stops working at Idle

It could be that you have a small leak in your system. So you have just the amount of r134 to get it to get the compressor to kick on every once on a while. That will burn up your compressor.
The compressor could be going bad all togather.
Dryer could be bad restricting flow.
Condencer could be cloged up.
I know AC is a caust but if you take it to someone they will recover your 134 that will tell them how much 134 it has, then they will pull a vacume to see if their is a leak, then recharge. they put a dye in the system to see if thier is a leak so you can take it back in a cupple days so they can check if thier is still a leak. The reason the vaccume is not a good way to check for a leak is because the AC system is upnder pressure pushing out as a vacume is pulling so it can cause the system to close up insted ot pushing out to find the leak. but its the best we have for now.

I normaly first check if the compressor is working. if not I check to see if it has power. the pressure switch on the dryer has to get pressure inorder for it to send power to the compressor so that the next step checking if the dryer is working properly. after that its hooking it up to a machine.

Just some ideas.

Last edited by JAKERED08ZO6; 08-20-2010 at 12:47 PM.
JAKERED08ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Send a message via AIM to 08LS7SINY
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkimgone04 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I need an expert tech to help me.

My A/C was working very randomly so I took it into my local dealership.

They replaced the connector pin to the fan that runs after you shut the car off because it was burnt out under warranty.

When I picked my car up to go to my gym everything seemed to run fine. The streets I take have a LOT of stop lights, during heavy traffic, etc. My a/c started to blow warm air only at idle at basically every stoplight. Once I got the car going it would start blowing ice cold. It had a smell of "stagnant air" at idle.

Took it back to the dealership. The director of service drove my car home that night and he said it didn't act up on him once. I picked my car up the next day and at least I got a free car wash out of it. I accepted the answer that it worked for him EVEN THOUGH it wasn't working for me.

Couple of day passes (now today) and I'm driving my car in town and hit a few red lights and the a/c seemed to be working. I go through a drive-through and sit there for 2 minutes (at least) and sure enough my a/c blows warm. I live in Texas and right now it's 102º out. Take off away from the drive-through and it starts working again.

Below is a picture I took of my a/c display unit as it was blowing hot air.

Anybody have any ideas ?

I can tell you with 99% certainty that your problem is your condenser pressure is rising above the shut off threshold which might be 350psi or so. When you are sitting in traffic in very hot conditions there is no air flow across the condenser so the refrigerant pressure rises until the condenser shuts off to avoid any sort of rupture. Once the vehicle starts moving again and the pressure drops the A/C kicks back on. See if you can get a A/C shop to release a bit of refrigerant so that the pressure doesnt build as much. You should not see any reduction in A/C performance at all.

Last edited by MikesZ06; 08-24-2010 at 06:58 AM.
08LS7SINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Yep that makes sence. I haven't run into that up here in MI haha
JAKERED08ZO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Z06 Pilot

Send a message via AIM to DomsZ06 Send a message via MSN to DomsZ06 Send a message via Yahoo to DomsZ06

ah well that's cool.

Guess I have the same issue and my whole car runs a bit warmer due to the temp as well as the mods.

Glad it's nothing wrong.
DomsZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

I had a vararam on my Z and it was blocking the condenser to not get air and I had to go with a different intake. I told them if that didnt fix it they were paying all my bills. Sure enough that fixed it. He told me if block stuff from getting air at low speeds. That was the exact same thing my car did... dont have vararam do you?
1baduramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

My car is doing the exact same thing. I have a c6 z06 with a Varraram intake.

When my car is stopped it blows hot air and when I am moving it works fine. Of course it only happens on really hot days...I live in Houston so it happens frequently. What intake did you go with? I am going to have my A/C purged to see if that helps...and I am going to print off this article to take to my mechanic. The dealership thinks its a fan problem, but my fans work fine...

$105 to diagnose the issue at a dealership or $100 to purge the A/C...if purging the A/C doesn't fix it I will put the stock intake back on it to see if that fixes it...although the stock intake sucks.
jrgeorge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lifetime Premium Member

Try the Airaid. Lots of C6Z owners love them.
AIRAID - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Same problem w/my car. Did a pull down on the system and found a bit over 1# of refrigerant - brought it up to 1.75# and car fine at all speeds. Means I probably have a refrigerant leak. I've been told that the hoses penetrating the firewall are notorious for pinhole leaks. Anybody add to this or correct me?
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Tuning & Electronics