Clean Stereo Upgrade for a C6 Z06 - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Tuning & Electronics
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Clean Stereo Upgrade for a C6 Z06

Gang,

I have to say the BOSE factory premium stereo in the C6 Z06 lacks a lot to be desired. So here is the system I have built on paper and consulted with my installer to make sure everything is a good fit. This will be about a $3,500 stereo upgrade at the end of the day including the best installation money can buy trust me on that one. I really am just sharing this information because it took a lot of time to research what best fits in the C6 Z06 as well as what can help with the center storage compartment from catching on fire LOL, that thing sure gets hot but not for long.

(C6 Custom Cut Front Speaker Plate Set) x 2

(C6 Pre-cut Insulation Kit)

(C6 Flush Mount Box- Driver’s Side w/ Amp Rack to fit Both Amps and Grille)

JL Audio 10WX-4 (Sub)
Free Air Resonance (Fs): 29.38 Hz
Electrical “Q” (Qes): 0.471
Mechanical “Q” (Qms): 10.021
Total Speaker “Q” (Qts): 0.450
Equivalent Compliance (Vas): 1.660 cu. ft. / 47.01 liters
One-Way, Linear Excursion (Xmax)*: 0.375 in. / 9.5 mm
Reference Efficiency (no): 0.243%
Efficiency (1W/1m)**: 86.06 dB SPL
Effective Piston Area (Sd): 50.690 sq. in. / 0.0327 sq. m.
DC Resistance (Re): 3.51 ohm
Nominal Impedance (Znom): 4 ohm
Thermal Power Handling (Pt): 200W
Driver Displacement: 0.032 cu. ft. / 0.91 liters
Net Weight: 5.3 lbs. / 2.40 kg

JL Audio SGRU-10 (Subwoofer Grille)

JL Audio XD-PCS4-1B (4 Gauge Power Amplifier Installation Kit)

JL Audio XB-BLUAIC2-18 (Audio RCA Interconnect Cables) x 3

JL Audio XC-BCSCS-16 (50ft. 16 AWG Premium Series Speaker Cable)

JL Audio Evolution C2-650 (2-Way Component Systems)
Woofer Frame Outer Diameter* (A) 6.50 in. / 165.0 mm
Woofer Grille Tray Outer Diameter** (B) 6.84 in. / 173.7 mm
Woofer Magnet Outer Diameter (C) 3.15 in. / 80.0 mm w/o cover
Frontal Coaxial Tweeter Protrusion*** (D) N/A
Woofer Frontal Grille Protrusion**** (E) 0.85 in. / 21.6 mm
Woofer Mounting Hole Diameter (F) 5.56 in. / 141.3 mm
Woofer Mounting Depth (G) 2.44 in. / 61.9 mm w/o cover

JL Audio Evolution C2 525x (Coaxials)
Woofer Frame Outer Diameter* (A) 5.20 in. / 132.0 mm
Woofer Grille Tray Outer Diameter** (B) 6.01 in. / 152.8 mm
Woofer Magnet Outer Diameter (C) 2.76 in. / 70.0 mm
Frontal Coaxial Tweeter Protrusion*** (D) 0.46 in. / 11.8 mm
Woofer Frontal Grille Protrusion**** (E) 0.72 in. / 18.2 mm
Woofer Mounting Hole Diameter (F) 4.56 in. / 115.9 mm
Woofer Mounting Depth (G) 2.50 in. / 63.5 mm

JL Audio C2-350X (Coaxial Center Speaker)

JL Audio XD600/6 (6CH Amp)
Dimensions (L x W x H): 10.23 in. x 7.09 in. x 2.05 in.
260 mm x 180 mm x 52 mm

JL Audio XD600/1 (1CH Amp)
Dimensions (L x W x H): 10.23 in. x 7.09 in. x 2.05 in.
260 mm x 180 mm x 52 mm

JL Audio XD-FDBU-2 (MAXI™ Fused Power Distribution Block - 4 AWG)

ECLIPSE AVN726E (Stereo/Navigation)

ECLIPSE BEC108 (Backup Camera)

ECLIPSE iPC-709 (Apple iPhone Video Interface Cable)

Metra 95-3304 (Double DIN Radio Kit)

Metra ASWC (Steering Wheel Audio Controls)

Metra 40gm10 (GM Radio Antenna Adapter)

PAC OS-2C OnStar Interface

Last edited by MUSCLEZ06; 04-30-2011 at 07:38 PM.
MUSCLEZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Re: Clean Stereo Upgrade for a C6 Z06

I'm glad I don't have the audiophile ear. My factory stereo sounds great to me. I have read that the factory NAV sounds worse than the base 6disk changer unit, which I have. I think I will upgrade to a new head unit so I can get NAV, DVD playback, back-up camera, etc... maybe a sub in the back but I'm in no hurry.
ZAKsPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Member

I have been thinking about doing the same but I don't drive my Z everyday. You have have to send us some pics when job is done and let us know if you really notice the sound difference.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Very interested in your progress, as I am getting ready to go forward.

Last edited by OFS UFB; 05-25-2011 at 06:10 PM.
OFS UFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Talking Re: Clean Stereo Upgrade for a C6 Z06

@ OFS UFB,

I have changed up a few things due to budget reasons and the fact that I don't drive the car every day. Actually I drive the car more like once every month; so because of this here is what I am going with:

C6 Custom Cut Front Speaker Plate Set

C6 Corvette COUPE DUAL 10" sub box

Two - JL Audio 10WX-4 (Sub)

Two - JL Audio SGRU-10 (Subwoofer Grille)

JL Audio XD-PCS4-1B (4 Gauge Power Amplifier Installation Kit)

JL Audio XB-BLUAIC2-18 (Audio RCA Interconnect Cables) x 3

JL Audio XC-BCSCS-16 (50ft. 16 AWG Premium Series Speaker Cable)

JL Audio XD700/5 (5CH Amp)

JL Audio XD-FDBU-2 (MAXI™ Fused Power Distribution Block - 4 AWG)

ECLIPSE AVN726E (Stereo/Navigation)

ECLIPSE BEC108 (Backup Camera)

ECLIPSE iPC-709 (Apple iPhone Video Interface Cable)

Metra 95-3304 (Double DIN Radio Kit)

Metra ASWC (Steering Wheel Audio Controls)

Metra 40gm10 (GM Radio Antenna Adapter)

Metra GMOS-014 (GM Onstar/ RSE/ and retain the warning chimes module)

*The entire system will be installed by July 15th and at that point I will post the results and pictures of how it looks. I shaved off about $750 going without the insulation and install of it; as well as the additional AMP to power the center which I will just have either the head unit power it or leave it as a dedicated On-Star speaker. Also the flush mount box was so expensive and after hearing the difference between it and the dual sub box I was sold on two subs instead of one. I think for $2749 this is a great upgrade and I have to say after this I won't be doing anything to the "Z" for a while as I just want to keep the engine stock; I just love this car.......

~MUSCLEZ06
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here is what the subs and amp will look like installed:

~MUSCLEZ06
Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks. Going to my sound guy tomorrow. Will report my progress. Your research really helped me get a grasp of what to look for.
OFS UFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Where are you getting the ECLIPSE AVN726E? It is discontinued. Do you already have it?
ZAKsPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

@ OFS UFB,

You are welcome and I am glad this information has helped you make some decisions. I do want you to know when you go with the 6 1/2 components in the front you will lose some mid bass as the BOSE setup comes with a 10" woofer in the front door. But it just sucks once CRANKED UP!!

@ ZAKsPop,

The Eclipse AVN726E is a very rare find but it can be found on EBAY and there is one for sale right now but I don't believe it has the original harness. If you can find one you will be very happy and yes I was lucky enough to have found one used on EBAY as well about a month ago and I paid $550 for it with the backup camera and harness.

~MUSCLEZ06
Old 06-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSCLEZ06 View Post
@ OFS UFB,

Are those C2 525x coaxials for rear fill? I would skip rear fill.

From an audiophile perspective, it messes with the soundstage to have high frequencies coming from behind you. Think about it, when was the last time you went to a performance and there were musicians playing music behind you? Hopefully never.

Now, for a 5.1 setup where the sound stage is engineered to have "behind you" speakers, it's a totally different matter. But in a car, esp one without a back seat, rear fill is a waste of two amp channels and two speakers IMHO.

Also you'll prob need to rattle-proof the license plate (unscrew it, stuff foam behind it, screw it back in against the foam) with the subs that close to it, if you care about that kind of thing.

As a potential upgrade path, you may consider adding a capacitor to improve the punch of your bass.

Otherwise, it looks like an awesome system. I've always wanted to go with JL for bass, but over the course of about a dozen installs it's just never happened for one reason or another. Next time!
jishaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

@ Jishaq,

I agree about the rear fill if you are that type of listener. I have owned several Honda CRX's from the HF to SI's. The HF series do not have rear speakers and this is a car with only two seats as well. But you notice a tremendus difference in sound once you add the rear coaxials to that car and I truly believe I will have the same experience here with the "Z". Also in the SI version of the CRX they do have rear speakers but like the "Z" they sound horrible and do not have the right staging to me at all. I understand what BOSE was going for with this system. But honestly it just does not sound right with all the music coming from up front for me because I am so use to having music come from the rear in any of vehicle I have owned or have been in.

I am having my installer handle the potential rattling that can come from the SUBS and as for the CAP I am not going to need one for two reasons. The distance of my power wire to the battery on this install is within 12 inches. Also the Z06 is really good at providing about a 14.2 volt output consistently. So even with the load I am putting on it with all the gains from my one 5 channel amp I will only lose maybe 1.5 volts which would put me at the 12 volt range; but keep in mind this is the case with all the gains turned up. I will be a little over half on all the gains so I should be fine. On my G8 I had a system that needed a CAP because I had two high wattage AMPS and 5 subs to push so turning the gains down was not an option.

With all this said it is all about preference and your personal past experience with car audio. I have done about six installs myself and had one; now soon to be two done by a shop but I love music and clean audio. I just hope that it comes out right. I do appreciate your advice and hope you get your JL setup soon.

~MUSCLEZ06

Last edited by MUSCLEZ06; 06-03-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Quote:
it just does not sound right with all the music coming from up front for me because I am so use to having music come from the rear in any of vehicle I have owned or have been in.
Sure, that's a perfect reason to go for the rear fill. It's my personal preference not to have it, and you bring up good points.

Quote:
as for the CAP I am not going to need one for two reasons ...
Your logic is spot on and I can't refute it. However, the more I experiment with audio, the more I've found that two things really do make a difference:

1) Using a capacitor for car audio
2) Using mono blocks; i.e., one separate amp (with its own power supply and circuitry) for each speaker.

I used to think this was just high end phooey, along with ridiculously expensive cabling and unobtainium-plated connectors. I still don't get the cabling thing, but the current system in my Z06 has both mono blocks and a cap, and I am constantly amazed at how clean and punchy it sounds.

On the downside, caps are kind of scary if you've ever witnessed them blow (i.e., they take a chunk out of your trunk), and I have a feeling they are constantly putting a slight draw on my battery, which for many garage queen Vettes can be a real problem when you try to start it after a few weeks of inactivity.

I would still encourage you to consider a cap on your upgrades list. Good luck with your install (is it done yet?) and tweaking it!

PS: One other upgrade I can't live without is a remote subwoofer gain control. My sub amp has a remote gain control that I've run under the carpet and it comes out of the center-console trim kind of below my right knee. It's really handy to be able to turn the bass up/down to depending on mood, volume, and recording mix of what I'm listening to. That it's an analog control is even better; I don't really like the delay of digital controls.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Everyone,

The system is in and it sounds AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME.... It took a lot of tuning on my part due to how I like to listen to music. Due to the amount of mids and sometimes low bass that is produced in some music I listen to; I had to put a capcitor on the center channel to block excess bass to it; especially seeing that the center was being ran from the Eclipse AVN726E internal amp.

So to every great story there is some horror at the beginning right? LOL.... So here is my horror.... The JL Audio XD700/5 Amp just plainly sucks!!!! The first brand new one in a box SMOKED in about 15 seconds once we hooked it up. Then the second one I got that same day smoked again and after speaking with JL Audio it turns out it is something they new about as those AMPS are not 2 OHM stable and that is what was burning them out. Now in there documentation it states that it is but they applogized and refunded my money in full no questions asked. So then I was left to find a nice AMP; and after researching and researching I found this company called Memphis Audio. They have full line of basic, reference, and serious competition amps, speakers, subs, etc. So after looking at the size, specs, and quality of the Memphis 5 channel class D AMP; I was sold.

Here are the specs Memphis VS JL Audio:

Memphis Audio Reference - 16-MR5.750
@4 Ohms
Stereo - 80w RMS x 4
Mono - 200w RMS x 1

@2 Ohms
Stereo - 100w RMS x 4
Mono - 350w RMS x 1

THD .05%

Price: $515.00

JL Audio - XD700/5
@4 Ohms
Stereo - 75W RMS x 4
Mono - 180W RMS x 1

@2 Ohms
Stereo - 100W RMS x 4
Mono - 300W RMS x 1

THD 1%

Price: $549.99

I will say the Memphis Amp is rock solid and just keeps taking the abuse: as I have been cranking this system up since I have had it every day. It does not need any air flow as even with the gains turned up or down it still stays luke warm. I was freakin shocked as it reminded me of the old US AMPS made in Gainesville, FL or even the old Sound Stream Rubicon's back in the day. I just love this amp guys...

One other thing I did do after speaking to my installer is we decided to keep the little BOSE mid bass driver in the top of the "Z" doors. They just sounded awesome once amplified with a real amp. So with all this said and some headaches along the way; as I stated at the beginning of this reply; the system just sounds awesome as the mids are just right, highs are perfect, and the bass is so clean and tight when it hits; just accurate. I hope this has helped anyone looking to upgrade there stereo system in there VETTE just remember not everyone listens to music the same way but I have had about 8 different people sit in the car and just close there eyes and listen. There responses are right off the bat WOW!!!! Yes I am GRINING

~MUSCLEZ06

Last edited by MUSCLEZ06; 06-12-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Glad it worked out! I guess I'll stick with JL drivers and forego their amps.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Z06 Member

Maybe I missed it. But what did you end up doing with the center storage compartment from catching on :flaming:?
simonster08z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Tuning & Electronics