Corvette Z06 Forum banner

advice on buying used ZR1 and not a GT-R

8K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  INTRCUL 
#1 ·
I'm a proud owner of an 02' Z06 but have been wanting more in the last year or so. Since the C7 Z06 is at least a year away my options are either a new GT-R or a used ZR1. I found a local (St.Louis) 2010 ZR1 w/3ZR with VIN: 1G1YN2DT1A5800937 that drove nice, but I noticed two issues. We couldn't get the touch screen to power on. The radio played, but the screen was dead no matter what we tried. They said they'd fix it at least, but it's concerning that they weren't even aware there was a problem with it. Second possible issue was the clutch was catching pretty high. My 02' has over 63k on it and catches about the same point, but it slowly got there. This ZR1 only has around 33k on it. I would hate to pick this up and have to drop 2K+ on a replacement clutch in a year or two. Is this catch point normal? According to Autocheck, it was a single local owner who traded it in last year and they kept it.

To cover misc. non-wear items, the salesman said I could opt for a certified GM 1yr bumper-bumper and 2yrs of oil changes for about $600. Sounds great to cover things like a busted NAV screen, but the clutch and brakes aren't covered or course. It was sitting outside and after all the rain I couldn't do a full paint inspection but I can already tell it's in worse shape than my 02' garage queen. It's sitting at $65k firm so as long as there's nothing too deep I can pay a good detail shop to polish it if they're super careful with the carbon parts.

Hopefully you guys can alleviate my concerns and keep me in the Z family. I have always driven American made sports cars, but the GT-R is really tempting with a full warranty for $30k more. If this sounds like a good deal that won't break me when out of warranty I'll jump at it.

See less See more
#2 ·
the clutch point can be different. just depends. Does it hold in 6th on the highway if you load it hard? (Floor it for a second in 6th) if so, its a used car.

Being a ZR1 I would assumed its either babied, or abused. If its stock... probably babied, to easy to pulley and tune them if you wanted to play with it.

i would not worry about the clutch engaging in a different spot from your C5.. thats a twin disk factory clutch fyi as well.

#4 ·
Regardless if it was stock theres a 50/50 chance its babied or abused. Hope for the worst pray for the best.

Both awesome cars so you I am sure you would be happy driving either one. I would encourage you to look into the maintenance requirements for the GT-R. The GT-R borders on the same time line and cost required in owning a Ferrari, it is not cheap. To maintain the warranty you have to follow the schedule to the T as outlined by the manufacture. The ZR-1 is a basement bargain when comparing the cost of ownership for the two.
YUP!! I think I read somewhere that their trans alone is 10-15k :mad:

OP what year GTR?

#3 · (Edited)
Both awesome cars so I am sure you would be happy driving either one. I would encourage you to look into the maintenance requirements for the GT-R. The GT-R borders on the same time line and cost required in owning a Ferrari, it is not cheap. To maintain the warranty you have to follow the schedule to the T as outlined by the manufacture. The ZR-1 is a basement bargain when comparing the cost of ownership for the two.

#5 ·
I did a ton of research on GT-R maintenance and that's what's keeping me from going that route. Even worse on a used one since warranties can be voided if not properly maintained. Only shockers on a ZR1 are the brakes and clutch.

I didn't think about loading in 6th to test the clutch. It was amazing how well it hooked in 3rd with 28 degree tires and air temps. Owner was a local business owner who drove it to work every day. Still no way to know how it was cared for, but there are no service/warranty entries and he put on a brand new set of factory Michelins at least.

I tried finding a better one, but Autotrader doesn't show nay 2010+ ZR1 for under $75k. I'm waiting on a good weather day to bring mine in for them to see, and for them to hand wash the car so I can inspect the paint. It's gonna be hard to say no at $65k.

#7 · (Edited)
if you are undecided, then enjoy your gtr, they are really ugly, and I've never seen anyone admiring them (esp girls)-- if you really want a c6zr1, the prices on these will drop dramatically after the c7z06 comes out
zteve06
blk 02 z06
ps- even though the gtr destroys most vettes in the 1/4 on paper, I have seen them screw up on the launch as much as any other car, and have seen them struggle to get to mid 12's, they are just as fallable as the driver and or the conditions as any other car--by the way, the c6zr1 clutch will cost you 2 to 3 times as much as the c5z's

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
As a ZR1 owner I'll be glad to put my 2 cents in.....take it with a grain of salt. I don't believe that a car being stock means it has or hasn't been babied. I'm in the process of building my block and anyone that knows me knows I baby my car like no other. But when you look at my car you can tell that I do. Look at everything in and outside of that car. If the leather, carpet, dash, steering wheel, paint, wheels, carbon fiber, or anything else looks bad....it most likely hasn't been babied. My car looks as though its fresh off the factory line, as do most of the ZR1's that have been babied. That one having over 30K may be a little different but I can't imagine much different. And a good aftermarket clutch can be installed for $2000-$2500.

As for choosing the ZR1 over the GTR....that's easy! ZR1 looks way better, IMO. And there are fewer ZR1's driving around. The GTR's seem to be everywhere these days. Now really is the time to buy a ZR1, I wish I would of waited 2 years ago. Reason I say this, you can buy a low mile ZR1 today for 10-15k less than even a year ago. I think it's because of the new C7 and soon to be released 630HP Z06. However, I think right now is the low point for the C6 ZR1's. So if you think the ZR1 will go down when the C7 Z06 comes out, I think you'll be sadly mistaken. The ZR1 will always have it's value, and I believe now is it's bottom.

Last but not least, it is discouraging seeing the nav screen not in working condition at first sight. First impression is always a big thing, shame on that dealer. But do remember, you are buying a pre owned car and it may have issues from time to time. Do your research and look at that carfax with a fine tooth comb. A great owner will have all oil changes and maintence work done with a Chevy Dealer. Dealer's document everything and that show up on carfaxes. Hope this helps!

Btw, i may soon be changing out my nav dash for an aftermaket one.... ***edited***

#9 ·
Forgot to give an update..... Two weeks ago I found a 2011 with 3300 miles at a high end exotic dealership. It was priced right and I got what I wanted on trade for my 02' Z06. I even feel better that they are keeping my trade so a local buyer will benefit from it. Car looks exponentially better than the "weathered" 2010 I originally looked at back in February, and it even has a few months of warranty left. Definitely happy I got the opportunity to stay in the Vette world and my momentary lapse of loyalty is a thing of the past. This is car I will keep for at least a decade, but I'll consider my options if a C8 ZR1 comes out after 2020. Thanks to everyone who provided construction advice.

#10 ·
Good job finding a garage queen! Glad you did not "stray from the flock" :lol:

#15 ·
Forgot to give an update..... Two weeks ago I found a 2011 with 3300 miles at a high end exotic dealership. It was priced right and I got what I wanted on trade for my 02' Z06. I even feel better that they are keeping my trade so a local buyer will benefit from it.
Probably sold by now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.