Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Gentlemen, Your Engine Pr0n Awaits; Pics of the Superchaged 2009 Corvette LS9 Leaked

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Ignition_key 
#1 ·
Sweet holy moses - this is it! The first pics I've seen that show off that supercharger and intercooler package. It's definately an air to water unit. so. freakin. badass.

Clear Pics of the LS9 AND the Intercooler

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Please don't tell me you're complaining that GM has put TOO much power in a Vette? :eek2:

Every year we talk about wanting to up the ante (power wise) to give us the fastest street machines in the world and now we feel it's too much??

For a couple of years before I started going crazy with the power levels, my Procharged Z had 585 rwhp (which is more than the blown LS9) and I had no difficulty driving it on the street, at HPDE's and at the strip. There are a ton of modified Z's here that have equal or more power than the new Vette will have and they find a way to make it work.

Not banging on you or your post in particular, but just in case GM is surfing the site from time to time, I don't want them to get the impression that we are not looking for MORE power with each new model. If the power level exceeds what a person thinks they can handle, they can always purchase a 'non-Z' type Vette. :sneaky:

Mike

#8 ·
getting the power to the ground has been GM's biggest challenge.

It should be interesting to see what development work the engineers have devised to achieve success in this area.

Porsche's GT2 has launch control from the factory as does the ferrari f430 and both have achieved sub 4 times to 60mph because of it.

I'm sure GM has something similiar lined up ..

JMO and just a guess.

We'll find out in January when the info on the car is released for the show circuit.

#10 ·
GM really has spent a lot of time getting the power under control for the "average buyer"

A buddy of mine has a 800 twin turbo 1998 C5 we just picked up last month or two..

Its a nice car with what I would suggest did have too much power for a manufacturer to put out..(liability would be tremendous)

That said ABS/Active handling technology today is so sophisticated that 650 hp from the ZR1 will be totally managable..

In my opinion the key is that the manufacturer produces the vehicle with a balance that often times trancends "tuners" ability

Don't get me wrong....my buddies Vette Doctor 800hp (flywheel) 1998 is awesome and totally controllable for a mature enthusaist(first, second, third gear can easily melt the tires) yet to stay in control even with Ferrari Enzo tires out back..would pressure the lawyers at GM to have the engineers devise a more sophisticated setup than is presently available.

Which is what they will show come January as the press releases hit the internet and magazine stands.

#12 ·
Don't think for a minute I was complaining about to much power to put on the street. Its really a comment that there will be even more amazing technology beyond the engine that will appear on the ZR1.

I base that off the fact that both the Porsche GT2 and the Ferrari both are offering a launch control set up that any driver will be able to get zero to 60mph in 3.5 seconds.. in a rear wheel drive vehicle with only " 500 hp..

Its something that we should applaud as GM will clearly be a leader in this new performance development. (without the weight and complexity of AWD) and 650 hp for 100 grand.

#14 · (Edited)
For those interested.. The Ferrari F430 has launch control with a single clutch pedal shifter while the Porsche 911 GT2 has launch control available with its standard Manual transmission.

I would prefer the dual clutch setup where many others prefer the manual transmission option with launch control.

I would guess and its just a guess we'll see a manual transmission (like the porsche unlike the ferrari) and launch control.

I've spoken to a few over the years about the ZR1 and the "Usuable" Power delivery is something GM has successfully conquered at the 650hp level. It has been a primary focus of the design.

I would not worry in the slightest that the new ZR1 will have any problematic issues putting the power down as well as any other supercar exotic.

#16 ·
Mustangs transfer weight completely different..also remember, THE ZO6 C6 OR C5 IS A ROAD RACE CAR!!!!!!!!!!
On that note...DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE R & D OF GM!!!! Trust me, 650 frm the crank which down grades through static drivetrain loss to a considerable lower number at the wheel. Another words GM has probably "up the anti" in the HP for the LS9 and worked on getting that to the ground through suspension components and tires...THEN THEY PROBABLY SCALED BACK TO THE PRODUCTION HP #'S and its no problem..
Trust me when I tell you that no one knows the limits and capabilities of these Vette's, ZO6 s etc.....Simply because ITS THEIR CAR!!!! THEY BUILT IT AND THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!!

As far as Mike's comment on GM surfing the site and getting the wrong impression...God I hope not...
Disclaimer to GM : UH GENERAL, IF YOU WANNA UP THE HP AND TORQUE..I THINK I CAN REPRESENT A HUGE NUMBER OF ZO6 BROTHERS AND SAY, "BRING IT ON!!!!!!"...WE'RE WAITING....:sneaky::sneaky:

ANDY

#17 ·
I think the base Vette should have 650HP, the Z 750, and the ZR-1 900 :D
GM - are you reading this?

#18 ·
YESSSS!!! I agree, of course we'd put good ol Dodge outta the Viper Program..lol..
and Porsche would have some extra "whine and cheese" and ponder things...

Note : This is not a personal attack on Vipers or Porsche's, I have plenty of friends in those circles...nice cars indeed...

:csmile:
Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.