Espionage at Bragg-Smith - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
Z06Vette.com Z06Vette.com
Go Back   Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Other Z06 Topics > Racing
Z06vette.com is the premier Chevrolet Corvette Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2003, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Espionage at Bragg-Smith

The Rupert Bragg-Smith Bob Bondurant Saga

Please remember when you read this that I am a friend of Rupert Bragg-Smith and my views will be biased toward my friend. But, this is the story as I just heard it and I felt that others would also like to know what is happening.

As everyone knows, Rupert Bragg-Smith no longer has the contract with GM to provide the Corvettes for his School. The Bragg-Smith Advanced Driving School is continuing with Bragg-Smith owned Corvettes in the same way the school was originally begun.

Bob Bondurant now has a contract with GM to provide Corvettes & Cadillacs to his school in Arizona. As we understand, the Z06s will be used only for the One Day Autocross class. The other driving schools will use the Corvettes & Cadillacs, but there will not be a Corvette Only school (unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks).

Bob Bondurant has been having some difficulties in the switch over to the GM cars and has gone to Pahrump twice to visit with Rupert and see how the Corvette School works. Bondurant asked Rupert if he would like to send his instructors to a class at Bondurant and Bondurant could then send his instructors to Bragg-Smith. Well, Rupert said “NO” in his own very clear way and said that the Bondurant instructors were NOT to come to Bragg-Smith.

Rupert has worked long and hard to create a school for Corvettes and he has no intention of “giving” this info to another school.

A new Level 1 class began yesterday at Bragg-Smith. The instructors always have a meeting each day discussing the class & what was needed to fit the particular needs of the students. The general consensus was that there was one student that was very good. So good in fact that it was curious that he was there in a Level 1 class. Rupert pulled the file and found that the gentleman was from Chandler AZ, home of the Bondurant driving school. Rupert asked him if he was connected with Bondurant in any way. The gentlemen answered “no”. Rupert later got on the phone to the Bondurant School asking for this gentleman by name. He was immediately transferred to the voice mail of this Level 1 student.

When confronted with this new information, the gentleman apologized and immediately left the school.

Z11409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2003, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

That's too damn funny.
Figured he had a fall out with GM or something but what a riot the BB guys pulling that BS.
Met Rupert during OTC last year. Was nice enough to let us use his track and is doing so this year. Also let me have tires shipped there
We had a personal issue with him during the last day in the heat of a T1 battle but that was heat of the moment and I wish him nothing but the best in all of this.
He really does have a great facility, great cars, great staff, and folks it's location is key with gambling and other activities.

If you are going to do a school I would do his over the BB school any day.
Before Track Times: 2:11 VIR, 1:21 Roebling, 1:49 CMP
After: 430rwhp and 382trq - MTI Cam, MTI Track Suspension
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Z06 Addict

Too bad Rupert no longer has the contract with GM and then getting sandbagged by Bondurant! Ruperts a great guy and runs a fine school.
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 04:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rupert's track is for sale. 8.5 million. I saw an ad for it in AutoWeek. I better get down there for that Level II course sooner than later!
Old 02-06-2003, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Z06 Authority

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackWidow
Re: Espionage at Bragg-Smith

Quote:
Originally posted by Z11409
The Rupert Bragg-Smith Bob Bondurant Saga

Please remember when you read this that I am a friend of Rupert Bragg-Smith and my views will be biased toward my friend.
I think Rupert is one of the finest individuals I have ever met! If you think the GM deal sucks then please read my letter to Lutz on the MISC forum. I urge everyone to show their support for Rupert by writing letters themselves.

Randi
03 Z06 (R8C 7/26/02)
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Other Z06 Topics > Racing