Corvette Z06 Forum banner

HPDE Checklist

28K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  F.J.B. 
#1 · (Edited)
Last Updated: 05-02-2009

I was putting together a checklist for my own personal use and decided to share it here. I thought it would be nice to have a resource on Z06vette that was specific to our cars and easy for HPDE noobs, like me, to find in a site search. This information has been taken from several different sources and is a consolidation of all the good tips out there. If I’ve left anything out or need to correct something, let me know by replying to this thread and I will update it.

At Home:

1. Check / change the oil (fill to top mark on dipstick; flushed within 30 days).
  2. Check / change radiator fluid. Add Redline Water Wetter to radiator.
  3. Check / change power steering fluid.
  4. Check transmission and differential fluids.
  5. Check for any fluid leaks.
  6. Check brake lines for cracks (stainless steel brake lines and "Speed Bleeders" are also a good investment) and make sure your brake lines have enough length in them when your suspension is fully extended. You can buy directly from speedbleeder.com or other performance vendors.
  7. Check / change brake fluid (flushed within 30 days). (A1)
  8. Check brake pads (should be 50% or better).
  9. Brake lights operational?
  10. Check / change clutch fluid. (A1)
  11. If pulling tranny/torque tube out of car for other maintenance, check around the bolt holes on the clutch pressure plate for cracking. Once you get to 40-50 track days, if you pick up a vibration in your car that varies with the clutch in and out, I would bet the pressure plate is beginning to get cracks around the bolt holes.
  12. Check hoses and belts for cracks
  13. Check rotors (especially the front rotors) and hubs for cracks and wear.
  14. Check tires for excessive wear, flat-spots, cuts and bad/worn/cracked valve stems; pressure (30-31 psi); torque lug nuts (100 ft-lbs recommended). Check wheels for cracks, especially around the spokes (this is even true of heavily used CCWs).
  15. Check the steering & suspension for excess play or clunking sounds. Check sway bar nuts and bolts, especially on the front where the sway bar bolts to the aluminum a-arm. With the car on jacks, wiggle the wheels. If they have some play and move back & forth with your hands at 6 and 12 o'clock, you probably have bad wheel bearings. If they show some play with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, you probably have worn tie-rod end-links.
  16. Print out the C5 computer codes found here: Turn the key to the ON position, but don't start the engine. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times. This will get you into the CODES section of the DIC. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. Any code that ends in H is a history code (something that has occured in the past) but is fine now. Once the computer has finished going through all of it's codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# CODES".
(A1) Recommended to replace brake and clutch fluid with high temp brake fluid (DOT4 recommended, but not essential for first event).
Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum - high temp on tranny fluid
Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum - Prep For Track Day

At The Track:

1. Check / adjust tire pressure (30-31 psi cold, ~40 psi hot). Remove center caps. Tape up wheel weights with duct tape or that shiny silver/heat-reflective tape so when the wheel weight adhesive melts from the rotor heat that they don't fall off your wheel.
  2. C5 Z06 add oil to equal 1 quart over full (=7.5 qts). This is not necessary in the C6 Z06 due to the dry sump oil system.
  3. Gas cap secured.
  4. No exposed wires.
  5. Seats bolted tightly.
  6. Make sure driver’s seat back is up-right and seat is close enough that you can reach the steering wheel with bent arms at the elbows. You will have much better car control this way.
  7. Buckle passenger seat belt (if unused).
  8. Remove floor mats and ALL other loose objects.
  9. Clean windows and mirrors with windex.
  10. Apply racer’s tape / car numbers. Tape up the rocker panels below the doors and behind the doors go has high-up and all around the rear brake ducts. On tracks with debris and gravel, this is where 95+% of the paint chipping will occur.
  11. Make sure transponder, if any, is secured by at least two tie-straps, plus some tape is recommended, too.

Stuff To Bring (Required):

1. Driving suit or clothes that meet requirements (long sleeves, long pants, cotton material, etc.)
  2. Racing shoes or similar that meet requirements (no open toe, etc.)
  3. Helmet (DOT may be acceptable; but check first. Best to have Snell 2000 or newer, SA rated rather than M rated).
  4. Required forms, completed in advance (e.g., medical, pre-tech, helmet/harness release).
  5. Race tape

Stuff To Bring (Highly Recommended):

1. Printed list of DIC codes
  2. Tire pressure gauge
  3. Tire air compressor (or tank - air available at track)
  4. Engine oil (1-2 quarts)
  5. 1 container of brake fluid
  6. Brake bleeding equipment (tube/bottle, etc.)
  7. Duct tape
  8. Fire extinguisher (if mounted fire extinguisher required by event, ensure metal-to-metal mount)
  9. WD-40
  10. Windex
  11. Paper towels / rags / wipes
  12. Cotton towel for yourself
  13. Torque wrench w/ socket
  14. Other tools (sockets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc...)
  15. Bottled water, Gatorade, etc.
  16. Food, energy bars, etc.

Stuff To Bring (Optional):

1. Spare parts (This is probably overkill for the novice driver. However, it is always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.)
    • Serpentine belt
    • Brake pads
    • Rotors (front & rear)
    • Wheel hubs (front & rear)
    • Caliper bolts and caliper bracket bolts and caliper pins
    • Short and long 02 sensors
    • Knock sensor
    • Spark plugs
    • Spark plug wires
    • Fuel filter
    • Fuel injector set
  2. Jack
  3. Jack stands
  4. Jumper cables
  5. Funnel for oil
  6. Tie wraps
  7. Tire pyrometer
  8. Run flat aerosol cans
  9. Service manual
  10. Grease
  11. Hand soap or waterless hand cleaner
  12. Ice chest
  13. Sunglasses
  14. Sun screen
  15. Camera
  16. Camera batteries charged
  17. Extra tapes if you are doing in-car video (Don't use DVD or hard drive cameras. They don't record properly in the high G-force environment of the track.)
  18. Stopwatch
  19. Flashlight
  20. Map/directions/phone number of hotel
  21. Map/directions/phone number of track
  22. Gloves
  23. Folding chair
  24. Umbrella
  25. Ground tarp
  26. Rain tarp
  27. Extra set of keys

Beginning Track Session:

"Off the Line"
  1. Tire pressure
  2. Torque lugs
  3. Fuel

"On the Line"
  1. Memory Button (whatever track preset you have programmed for correct seat, mirror position)
  2. HUD – Track Mode
  3. AH – Off or Comp Mode
  4. NPP Valves – open (C6Z06 and so optioned C6 only)
  5. Radio/Nav – OFF
  6. Air Cond – OFF
  7. Seat Belt – Ratchet tight
  8. DRL’s – OFF

Off the Track or Between Sessions:

1. Cool down lap - no brakes
  2. No parking brake in pit
  3. Check tire pressures hot
  4. Hydrate the driver

See less See more
#2 ·
You might want to add replace brake and clutch fluid with high temp brake fluid.

You don't want brake fade or the clutch pedal to stick to the floor from vapor lock!

Stainless steel brake lines and "Speed Bleeders" are also a good investment.

#4 · (Edited)
Excellent move!
Can the Mod's make this a sticky in this sub-forum?
At Home:
Fresh oil and brake fluid (flushed within 30 days)
DOT4 recommended, but not essential for first event.
Brake pads should be 50% or better.

At The Track:
EXCEPT C6Z06: Add oil to equal 1 quart over full (=7.5 qts)

Stuff To Bring (Required):
Helmet (DOT may be acceptable; but check first. Best to have Snell 2000 or newer, SA rated rather than M rated)
Required forms, completed in advance, e.g., medical, pre-tech, helmet/harness release)

Stuff To Bring (Highly Recommended):
1 container of brake fluid
Brake bleeding equipment (tube/bottle, etc.)
Stuff To Bring (Optional):
Umbrella
Ground tarp
Rain tarp

#7 ·
Vant.....amazing work here. I personally thank you for this checklist. It's about as complete as I've seen. I'm in the middle of preparing for my first HPDE at Road Atlanta. I've pretty much done all you have suggested. I bought the blue painters tape but just zaino'd the car and also used the zaino sealant. Think I'll be getting some racers tape instead tomorrow. I've copied this checklist to microsoft word and will run it down just before I go.

thanks again,
Jim

#8 ·
Vant,
That's a great list!

I checked your list vs mine and the only things missing were very specific to my SCCA T1 racing (like transponder, radio and video camera batteries charged, video film in case, etc.).

Thanks for taking the time to put that list togther for those newer to HPDEs. :cheers:

#9 ·
Hi Vant:

You are my favorite "poster" for your wittiness. Now I see you are an organized and pragmatic person, too.

Here are a few more thoughts I had....

1. Check sway bar nuts and bolts, especially on the front where the sway bar bolts to the aluminum a-arm.
  2. Make sure your brake lines have enough length in them when your suspension is fully extended
  3. Check wheel lug nuts with torque wrench
  4. Check tires for excessive wear, flat-spots, cuts and bad/worn/cracked valve stems
  5. Check wheels for cracks, especially around the spokes. This is even true of heavily used CCWs.
  6. If pulling tranny/torque tube out of car for other maintenance, check around the bolt holes on the clutch pressure plate for cracking. Once you get to 40-50 track days, if you pick up a vibration in your car that varies with the clutch in and out, I would bet the pressure plate is beginning to get cracks around the bolt holes.
  7. Add Redline Water Wetter to radiator
  8. Tape up wheel weights with duct tape or that shiney silver/heat-reflective tape so when the wheel weight adhesive melts from the rotor heat that they don't fall off your wheel
  9. Tape up the rocker panels below the doors and behind the doors go has high-up and all around the rear brake ducts. On tracks with debris and gravel, this is where 95+% of the paint chipping will occur.
  10. Make sure transponder, if any, is secured by at least two tie-straps, plus some tape is recommended, too.
  11. Make sure windows and mirrors are clean and not smudged, etc.
  12. Adjust mirrors
  13. Make sure seat back is up-right and seat is close enough that you can reach the steering wheel with bent arms at the elbows. You will have much better car control this way.
  14. Camera batteries charged and extra tapes if you are doing in-car video.
  15. Don't use DVD or hard drive cameras. They don't record properly in the high G-force environment of the track.
  16. With the car on jacks, wiggle the wheels. If they have some play and move back & forth with your hands at 6 and 12 o'clock, you probably have bad wheel bearings. If they show some play with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, you probably have worn tie-rod end-links
  17. Check rotors for cracks, especially the front rotors
  18. Thank your spouse profusely for his or her support in letting you go do a stupidly expensive endeavor. :lol::lol::lol:

:z::z::z:

#16 ·
Added.
I've always carried a spare serpentine belt, as they may not be available at any auto parts store if you pitch one!
Added.
Yeah ... I now carry one of those, along with spare caliper bolts and caliper bracket bolts and caliper pins.
Thanks for keeping up the list, Vant ... :thumb:

Suggest adding "spare set of keys" to checklist ... strongly suggested ... :idea:
Added. I hope the "spare keys" suggestion wasn't learned from personal experience. :p
If we are now going to consider spare parts, my list gets longer. I typically carried a box of spare parts including those listed above and:
- front and rear wheel hubs
- short and long 02 sensors
- knock sensor
- spark plugs
- spark plug wires
- fuel filter
- fuel injector set

Probably a couple other odds and ends I can't remember. However, for a DE, I'd consider most of these spare parts overkill.
Added. And if you remember those other spare parts I'll add those as well. :thumb:

#14 ·
Yeah ... I now carry one of those, along with spare caliper bolts and caliper bracket bolts and caliper pins.
Thanks for keeping up the list, Vant ... :thumb:

Suggest adding "spare set of keys" to checklist ... strongly suggested ... :idea:

#21 · (Edited)
And that old set of calipers you rebuilt, no laughing Leslie :cry: Hope you had a blast at the Glen.

I lost a weekend after cutting a seal while pushing SS Pistons into new calipers. Of course I didn't know the seal was cut until about the fifth lap at Mid-Ohio, at the end of the straight going into 7 - pedal hit the floor, scared the poop out of the instructor.

#24 ·
I keep a printout of all the codes so that when my check enging light comes on, I will know what is going on. Pulling the code is one thing, but knowing what it is about is another.

#25 ·
Yeah ... I hear that! ... and "how to pull up the codes on the DIC" cheatsheet. Was at Watkins Glen this summer ... steady "check engine" lite popped up ... usually indicates emissions-related ... but neither I nor two other C5 folks there could remember how to retrieve the codes ... :bang:

#31 · (Edited)
Great checklist!!!

I used most all of it for my first HPDE last weekend at Daytona.

After the Friday sessions I decided I needed a checklist to remind me what to do to get the car ready just before taking the track. I've got a C6 Z06 with all the options, and some of that fancy stuff can mess you up if you shut the car down on the grid/staging lane.

On my first solo session Friday afternoon I got the car all set in the paddock and pulled out onto the pit lane where we staged. The car was all warmed up and ready to go, but we still had 7 or 8 minutes until the track was clear and my group would be going out, so I shut off the engine and opened the door to try and keep cool (it was almost 80 degrees), took off my gloves, and released my seat belt to swing my feet out for a couple minutes. When I did that the car goes to my memory "exit" settings (seat goes back and down, steering wheel moves in, etc.).

When the previous group was pitting after their cool down lap I started the car up. This being my first HPDE I was mostly thinking about the track, and when I pushed in the clutch I could tell my seat and the steering wheel weren't quite right. I quickly pushed the memory button to go to my preset stuff, but in addition to seats and mirrors, that also sets the HUD, radio, air conditioning, etc. to my street driving setup I had programmed, and it resets AH/TC to full on. I was scrambling to get set just before pulling out onto the track.

The same thing happened for a couple other sessions, but with my checklist I knew I was ready to hit the track and wouldn't be distracted by something I forgot to set up properly.

Beginning Track Session

• Brief Passenger/Instructor on egress
• Memory Button – #1
• DRL’s – OFF
• HUD – Track Mode
• AH – Off or Comp Mode
• NPP Valves – Open
• Radio/Nav – OFF
• Air Cond – OFF
• Doors – UNLOCKED
• Traqmate - ON
• Video Camera – ON
• Seat Belt – Ratchet tight

Don't assume an instructor or passenger will know how to get out of a C6 by pushing the button, or especially if power is lost, that they will need to pull the mechanical door release down on the floor.

Hitting the memory button gets the seat/mirrors/steering wheel where I want them. But it calls up my memorized street HUD mode, so I need to select the track mode I want.

I started out with full AH on, but during the first few sessions I could see the DIC flashing that it was active a couple of places on the track where I didn't want it. I went with Comp mode after that - it still came on when up on the high banked wall at about 140 or 145 (it's kinda bumpy up there! :eek: ), but I figured it was doing something for me that I wasn't aware of at my low experience level.

I've got a Mild-to-Wild wireless controller for my exhaust butterflies, and just opened them up before taking the track. They'll open above 3,000 rpm in Comp mode anyway (so probably would have been open the whole time on the track anyway), but I just opened them so they wouldn't be cycling.

I've just got the regular OE seat belts, but if you pull them all the way out they will go into a "ratchet" mode. That way I could pull it real tight and it helped keep me fastened to the seat a little better.

I decided I wanted to run with the DRL's off, so I turned them off manually.

Bob

#32 ·
Beginning Track Session

• Memory Button – #1

Hitting the memory button gets the seat/mirrors/steering wheel where I want them. But it calls up my memorized street HUD mode, so I need to select the track mode I want.
Bob

Bob ... If I missed you earlier, ... welcome to :z:
excellent post ...
I use the third memory position (push 1&2 together) and use that for my track setting ... that way I don't have to mess with the other settings ... :idea:
I think you have the same function as the C5 (certainly no less!)
:cheers:
BTW ... check in here for thread coming up on NCM VIR HPDE end of Jun :thumb:

#33 ·
Denny

Thanks for the welcome!

I should (will!) post a "checking aboard" message in the General section. I've been lurking since I got my C6 Z06 2 months ago, but I've only made a couple of posts.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3rd memory position. I've had a 2005 C6 for 3 years now and I've never heard of that capability on the C6, but I'll have to check it out.

Tom B (Au N EGL on another board) has already got my attention about the VIR and RA events by the NCM. I definitely plan on the VIR event, but Tom said the event this year filled up in 1 hour and 45 minutes when registration was opened up this January!!! :eek:

I plan to put it in my calendar and set an alarm on my cellphone when registration time gets closer.

Bob

#34 ·
Tom B (Au N EGL on another board) has already got my attention about the VIR and RA events by the NCM. I definitely plan on the VIR event, but Tom said the event this year filled up in 1 hour and 45 minutes when registration was opened up this January!!! :eek:
I plan to put it in my calendar and set an alarm on my cellphone when registration time gets closer.
Bob
I started a thread here:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f90/ncm-hpde-schedule-2008-a-108335/
I'll post up in Jan, before the NCM site opens for registration ... :thumb:

#35 ·
This is a great checklist, lots of good details. How about adding a checklist for things to recheck while at the track, before each run...
1) tire pressure
2) torque lugs
3) fuel
etc..

It's amazing to me how many people (myself included every once in a while) who get caught up talking with everyone that before they know it is their time to run again and don't take/make the time to recheck everything before heading back out.

#37 ·
OK ... the new season is already underway in warmer parts - I have a few minor adds to Vant's thread ... and a question for Y'all ...
I want to include a "beginner's guide to HPDE" in the HPDE section - either as an extension of this sticky or a separate sticky.
Reason: (and you know I'm a trackrat wannabee :crazy: ) ... I want to be able to send a high speed track day first-timer to a resource center to guide him/her on preparing their car AND THEMSELF for a track day.
For Vant:
Stuff to bring:
Tire air compressor - add (or tank - air available at track)
Fire extinguisher - add (if mounted fire extinguisher required by event, ensure metal-to-metal mount)
"On the line"
memory button - change to (whatever track preset you have programmed for correct seat, mirror position) (I use position #3 for track preset)
NPP Valves - open - add (C6Z06 and so optioned C6 only)

Add a section at end:
"Off the Track" (between sessions)
- cool down lap - no brakes
- no parking brake in pit
- check tire pressures hot
- hydrate the driver

For all:
Suggested topics to incorporate in this sticky or in a new sticky thread:

Track day definitions:
* Driving School (HPDE instructional or qualifying for competition license)
**your car
**school car
* HPDE
* Open Lapping Day
*"Try it" days (limited-class session, ride with instructor in his/her car, drive with instructor in right seat)
Where to find information on event types and event organizers
If this is your first track day:
* References to prepare you
**The "language" of the track (flags, pits, grid, etc.)
**Mental preparation for the driver
**gaining knowledge of the specific track
* The insurance question
* The tires question
* The basic minimum essential preparation of the car
**fluids
**pads
*pre-event tech checklists and finding a tech shop if required
*pre-track day preparation
**the HPDE checklist
**make your own checklist
**pre-pack
**preparing the driver
*Track day
**how things run
**drivers meeting
**daily schedule and groups
**classroom instruction
**in-car instruction
**what to expect on arrival
**what to expect during the day
***on the track
***off the track

NOTE: This is not intended as a comprehensive treatise on "everything you might think you want to know" about track days, nor is it intended as a compilation of every contributor's cumulative track experience.
It will be as succinct and factual as possible - leave the opinions to other experience threads.

#38 ·
Denny, sorry for not replying earlier - i just noticed this today. Everything is now updated in the original post as per your comments. :thumb:

I like the idea of a "Track Day Definitions" thread. Sheesh, I bet the people on this forum could write a book. :yeadog: If you decide that this thread is the best place for that info, let me know and I'll update the original post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.