Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Is the Factory Titanium system any good !

4K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Qksvr 
#1 ·
This is a reprint of a post that Tony from AFR heads made considering the effectiveness of the factory Titanium System :cheers:

Z06 Ti Exhaust Info & Dyno Results

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone,

I've been extremely busy or I would have already posted this information, but I have your back to back results on how good (or bad) a factory Ti exhaust system actually is. I have spent the last month or so fabricating a custom exhaust with "Y" pipes and electric cut-outs that when open allows the exhaust gas to "by pass" the muffler and go straight out the tailpipe exits. In reality, some of the exhaust gas will still go thru the muffler as well, but it will take the path of least resistance and the bulk of the flow will take the path off the "Y" pipe that exits directly to the rear. A picture is worth 1000 words, but I hope you get the "gist" of what I built. Bottom line, when the electric cutout is closed, all gases are routed thru the muffler and its business as usual, when I open the cut-out electronically, it essentially completely eliminates the muffler as a "restriction" in the system, not to mention sounds awesome at WOT.

First off, after I cut off both exits and inlet from the factory muffler, I was shocked to see that a 2.5" inlet pipe necks down immediate to a 2" pipe (1.875" ID) YIKES!!! I'm thinking sure it sounds "stealthy" at idle and cruise RPM's, but I would have bet you anything I was going to be down 10 plus RWHP minimum on a car putting down 475 or so at the tire. Good thing I didn't have anyone taking me up on that wager....the results were surprising to say the least.

First off, my last trip to the dyno netted me 477 HP....not quite the 480 I have seen on one or two of my previous best pulls, but right in line with the better of my "average" runs. This was achieved thru LG long tubes and the 3" metal matrix Cats and X-pipe. My former "cat-back" was a Magnaflow system that came with 2.5" pipes that go up and over the rear driveline. By the way, the weight difference between the two is exactly 25 lbs total....not too shabby a savings for guys trying to put their car on a diet.

On to the results....After spending a little time with LS1 edit adjusting the fuel curve (THANKS CHARLIE!), with my cut-outs in the open position, our two best power runs were 481 and 480 back to back with peak torque output on both of them peaking at 439 ft/lbs (huge # for stock displacement). We then proceeded to let the car cool for 10-15 minutes and with no other changes except for closing the cut-outs, running thru the "corked up" factory TI system, the car still put down two back to back runs of 476 HP and 475 HP, with peak torque output at 435 and 432 respectively!! I was shocked to say the least. Obviously necking down to a mere 2" pipe that far back in the system is less of a problem than MANY people would have ever thought. Looks like the GM engineers certainly did their homework....in a car with 100 less HP to the tires, I bet that system would barely cost you 3 HP....Very impressive indeed.

For you guys looking for the ultimate in "stealth" with your current headers/heads/cam cars....you can't beat the factory Ti system, BUT some of you might find it TOO conservative. I like the fact that with my new exhaust configuration you can "have your cake and eat it too" by having the best of both worlds depending on the mood your in.

Anyway....interesting info for all to read!!

Regards,
Tony Mamo

See less See more
#2 ·
Good info but for me....first time I opened up the throttle with the 2 Tip Stingers...it put a grin on my mug that hasn't left yet. :D

#3 · (Edited)
Actually decreasing diameter in aft parts of the exhaust system will help keep the flow rates up as the exhaust gas cools. This helps scavenging. That's why the muffs are necked down to 2".

The only CAT back system that I have identified as better over the OEM is the Corsa "Z" Series Titanium Race System which is:

- 19 #'s lighter than OEM
- produces +21 HP over OEM
- flows 78% better cfm than OEM

#6 ·
My car dyno'd exactly the same with the TI system and my Borla Stingers, the original TI's flow really well.

I wonder where Tony got a TI exhaust in pristine condition with almost no miles?
He must know good guy out east somewhere :p

#8 ·
Ti Results...

Z06-Dave said:
My car dyno'd exactly the same with the TI system and my Borla Stingers, the original TI's flow really well.

I wonder where Tony got a TI exhaust in pristine condition with almost no miles?
He must know good guy out east somewhere :p
He was an "OK" guy..... :D
(How's it going Dave!!)

I'm glad someone copied and pasted that over from the Vette Forum...I didn't have my "password" handy yesterday and didn't get around to posting on this site....I had that on my list of things to do today....I figured you guys would especially like to see actual dyno results.

I'm still shaking my head after having the oppurtunity to look inside and check out some of the internals!!

The only reason to swap them out is for "sound quality" only from the looks of this test...certainly at power levels similar or less....the next time I hit the rollers I think I will be spraying the car as well. That will make for an interesting "A-B" test....would have to think the higher demands on the exhaust side of the engine will be more readily apparent when that goes down....will keep you guys posted.

Regards,
Tony M.

#10 ·
Kooks did testing with stock and after market Exhaust. They found no better perfoming exhaust over Stock Ti. Sound is the major reason for change. I stuck with Stock :D :D

#11 ·
DJWorm said:
The only CAT back system that I have identified as better over the OEM is the Corsa "Z" Series Titanium Race System which is:

I hear you, Don! Did I ever tell you that I got the Corsa Ti on my car?! Wow, I love it! You can't beat it. I've got the mufflers on (still haven't heard it without the mufflers yet), and the sound with the TPIS long-tubes (and stock cats) is just awesome. It's exactly what I wanted. You can cruise it quietly, or stomp on it and make the car sound like an exotic beast! It's just perfect. Thanks again for your help with it!

-Kirk

#14 ·
Kooks, no cats into Corsa Pro and my neigbors were complaining about noise (good neighbors) .... re-installed ZO6Ti and loud significantly reduced, neighbors happy and i can hear my radio again...had a chance to dyno and hp/tq numbers basically the same with Ti ... at best only gave-up 1-2hp...

#19 · (Edited)
DJWorm said:

I'm guessing we're comparing with C5 OEM equipment?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.