What Weight Mobil 1Do You Rum

• 5W30

Votes: 306 63.0%
  • 10W30

Votes: 180 37.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobil 1 Weight

45K views 151 replies 99 participants last post by  F.J.B. 
#1 ·
In your Z06 what do you run..........

#54 ·
Just an interesting passage for us to ponder from one who should really know what he's talking about. This past April our Corvette club held it's annual Dothan to Panama City Cruise, the night before we had some well known Corvette people speak and again the next day. One of theses individuals was Jim Minniker from the GM powertrain team. In a private conversation with him about the LS6 engine and upgrades the subject of oil changes popped into the conversation. He said that during testing of the LS series engines they had been run the equivalant of 100,000 miles with no oil change, just filter changes (can't remember the mileage intervals) and when dissassembled they found there was no measurable wear above that of regular oil change intervals. Although this may be true, I myself would be reluctant to use that method of engine maintenance. But i guess it does illustrate the durability of not only the engine, but also the capability of the Mobil 1 to maintain / retain it's lubrication qualities. I think the secret formula here is the changing of the oil filter, and the 1/4 - 1/2 qt needed to top off the system after the filter change. The abrasive materials are being captured and removed, and the topping off replentishes some of the oil's additives. I just thought some would like to hear about this if they didn't know about the testing already. Not trying to change peoples minds about oil change procedures, just conversation.
vettepilot

#55 ·
Re: an opinion

jack clark said:

thanks a lot 2002blackz06. perhaps you should review how you say things. you could have handled your 'anal' post in a different manner. but, as you say, no amount of posts or opinions will change your mind. afterall, your opinion probably carries more weight than anyone elses. of course, this is just my humble opinion.

jack
Interesting comments Jack, quite interesting (and apparently true).

Charlie

#58 · (Edited)
I use olive oil. Great taste...

For cooking, you know?

hehe.

My Z is 5w30, whatever it came with. Haven't changed yet.

Here are some of my experiences from the wonderful world of Ford Probes.
I use Mobill1 0W30 on both my MX-6 and my Probe. Why? Simple:
The Probe dynoed 3 hp more consistently when using 0w30 versus 5w30. 138 hp vs 141 fwhp.
I went with Redline MTL90 on the transaxle and it added yet another ~3 more fwhp. It is bonestock and it puts ~144 fwhp from an engine rated at 164.
I've heard redline 5w30 engine oil is far superior to the Mobil1, but since I don't have numbers, I will remain silent.

Fuel economy experiment:
With 0w30 I get ~32mpg on the highway and ~25 mixed, with 5w30 I get ~30 mpg on the highway and ~23 mixed. I have been measuring this for about a two year period. Numbers are pretty consistant if I change oils.

BTW, my probe is 107k miles and I did a compression test yesterday night.
Manufacturer says a car with 70k should have between 160psi and 210 psi with 6 cranks. My PGT averaged 200, running with 0w30 for about 30k miles, about 2000 of those 30k are race track miles.

I've recorded the car consumes more oil if I choose 0w30 vs 5w30:
0w30 is 1 quart for ~1800 miles.
5w30 is 1 quart for ~3000 miles.

Draw your own conclusions.

G.

#60 ·
Since for MOST of us, the choice is between 5w30 and 10w30 Mobil 1, here's what Mobil has to say on the two oils. It seems they (and their millions in research dollars) figure their 5w30 formulation is better for NEWER cars (with presumably tighter tolerances). They call the 10w30 oil a "Higher-Mileage Vehicle Formula".

Mobil 1® With SuperSyn™ Formula 5W-30 Newer Vehicle Formula *

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 Newer Vehicle Formula helps keep your new engine running like new. The unique SuperSyn™ anti-wear system helps extend the life of your engine by reducing oil breakdown.

Benefits of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30:

Keeps today's hot-running engines clean by controlling deposit formation.
Offers an ideal balance of low- and high-temperature performance.
Helps extend engine life by reducing oil breakdown under "severe service."
5W-30 is the viscosity grade recommended for many new vehicles.
Exceeds API SL/CF and ILSAC GF-3.
Exceeds ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5.

Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 is designed for passenger cars and light trucks with gasoline or diesel engines. It also exceeds "Energy Conserving" ratings. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 is factory fill in all Chevrolet Corvettes.

Mobil 1® With SuperSyn™ Formula 10W-30 Higher-Mileage Vehicle Formula *

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 10W-30 is ideally suited for higher-mileage vehicles that require a higher viscosity grade. It offers optimal protection for any engine used in varying temperatures.

Benefits of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 10W-30:

The best-selling grade of Mobil 1.
Outstanding engine cleanliness and sludge protection.
Outstanding wear protection, even under the most extreme conditions.
Protects against wear by getting to engine parts fast.
Exceeds API SL/CF and ILSAC GF-3.
Exceeds ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5.

Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 10W-30 is designed for passenger cars and light trucks with gasoline or diesel engines. It also exceeds "Energy Conserving" ratings.

#62 ·
ChuckChurch said:

Your car has 6 cranks? I thought my 1 crank was plenty, but not now:lol:
yeah man, 6 cranks. one two three four five and six. :) you got me.

G.

#64 ·
NYCHASM said:

Geez Chuck, kinda sounds like he didn't get the joke.

But then again, maybe he did and I just don't get his!:(

Charlie
I was just counting cranks man...

:cheers:

G.

#67 ·
Re: an opinion

Jack,

Thanks for your post - I can't find a single thing to disagree with. I would observe that this forum treats each other IMO better than the "other" forum on average, but it is a shame that people leave when someone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and decides to be nasty. We are all Z06 owners and lovers, with many different life experiences and opinions, all right and all wrong - hopefully we can agree to disagree without getting into personal attacks.

With respect to the topic, I run Royal Purple racing oil which is the equiv. of 10W30 in my car, along with a Mobil 1 filter. It is expensive and I still change it every 3-4K miles because I want to and that is what I chose to do. For those who wait longer and run different oils and filters I am sure that is fine too. I race my car a bit and like the extra protection.

With respect to viscosity, that is one of those debates that will never end. Where I live there is no need for oil as thin as 5W so I would run it. Nor would I run 15W50 as the viscosity enhancers necessary to get that spread (vs say 10W30) is something I won't put in this motor. Also when hot 50W oil is a lot of work for your crank to spin in, and that is not something I would do. For those that do I fully respect your decision.

Peace

Les

jack clark said:
congrats to you dj for taking car of your car in a manner you feel best fits your experience and driving habits. i also change my mobil 1 every 3000-4000 miles. you know why--because i want to.

i don't think any owner is anal about the way they take care of their favorite vehicle. how many of us don't drive in the rain, don't let anyone drink or eat in the car, put little rollers on their cars to keep them from dragging, spend endless hours putting on zaino and spend lots of disposable income adding mods?

i am new to this forum and have tried to keep a positive attitude. i have pm'ed a number of people instead of getting involved with on site arguements. over the past week i have watched a lot of negative happenings. first frank and then don. i read the posts by don under the 'suggestion' thread just to see what would set him off. in all his posts i have never seen anything except positive comments and offers of assistance-especially with banners. to show my inexperience i didn't have a clue who he was talking about when he posted his suggestion. then read i 2002blackzo6's comments==especially the second or third one--where he referred to don as 'the allmighty' and '...doesn't mean s...to him'. now i read his post that dj is 'anal' (and by implication the rest of us who fit one of the above discriptions). and, he invites us to 'flame' him. while i think things got out of hand with don, 2002black got what he asked for from don. now this site has lost don.

thanks a lot 2002blackz06. perhaps you should review how you say things. you could have handled your 'anal' post in a different manner. but, as you say, no amount of posts or opinions will change your mind. afterall, your opinion probably carries more weight than anyone elses. of course, this is just my humble opinion.

jack

#68 ·
I run 5w-30 just like she came for the factory, If you have an internal engine problem and run anything but the recomended oil you are just giving GM an excuse to deny your warranty claim. Of course if you have heads/cam etc the warranty is already history;)

#70 ·
GalaxyEng said:
I run 5w-30 just like she came for the factory, If you have an internal engine problem and run anything but the recomended oil you are just giving GM an excuse to deny your warranty claim. Of course if you have heads/cam etc the warranty is already history;)

The owner's handbook says 10w30 is an acceptable alternate!!
The rest of the quote is correct

#72 ·
truckrookie said:
In another thread you guys bash the chevy house for not knowing weather or not your car is a c4 or a c5 during an oil change, now you are telling me the same chevy house is gonna tell the difference between oil weights and brands and deny your warranty. Give me a break.
Guess what? If your local friendly Chevrolet dealership repair facility so much as suspects a warranteed part failed because of non-spec oil in the crankcase, the very first thing they will do is send out a sample of the oil for analysis.

So to answer your question...YES!

Charlie

#73 ·
I think its a personal choice on what you use as long as you do the maintenance at regular intervals.

#74 ·
Have blueprinted oil pump, and higher than normal oil pressure. 67 lbs at 2500 rpms when cruzin and oil is warm, and nailed at 82 when oil is cool. Runnin 5/30 oil to help keep pressure from going off the Richter scale

#76 ·
5W30...

But I think there are NO bad choices in this debate.

Why 5W30 for me?
1) Manufacturer Rec.
2) This weight/visc. of Mobil 1 will retain it's properties well above the oil temp. range of normal driving. >> 400F.
3) Even in FL, this weight/visc. will retain it's properties well above what you will see with light track use-- 300F even if you don't have a cooler. Installing a cooler next week regardless ;-)
4) Higher weight oils will increase overall engine friction and consume power pumping it around that could otherwise be used to pumping the rear tires... ;-) Albeit small consumption of power as other posts suggest.

That all said, running the higher weight 10W30 certainly won't damage the engine or void warranty. It's marginally safer and if you are consuming 5w, it likely would consume less.

For the folks who plan to race hard over sustained periods, all bets are off-- Mobil recommends the 15W-50 oil on their web page:

Benefits of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50:

Excellent for supercharged and turbocharged engines, muscle cars and amateur racers.
The highest viscosity Mobil 1 available.
Race proven.
Superior high-temperature protection for high-performance and high-revving cars. Contains extra SuperSyn™ anti-wear system.
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 is factory fill in Ford Mustang Cobra R.
Exceeds API SL/CF.
Exceeds ACEA A3/B3/B4-02.
Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 is perfect for hot-running or heavily loaded vehicles and high-tech imported cars. It offers an extra level of protection, even under extreme use.
-------------------

There is some very interesting reading on the Mobil1 web page, especially in the FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.