Product Review: Breathless Performance Shifter - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
dascrow

Product Review: Breathless Performance Shifter

April 7, 2002

By: fcalmes

Member Rating:
Total votes: 339

I recently replaced my B&M Ripper shifter with the new performance shifter by Breathless Performance Products and I must say that I thought Id never replace my Ripper but the time has come. The shifter is CNC machined aluminum, very light weight, strong, and made of high quality materials. You have the option of the angled shift handle or straight and after trying a couple test configurations, I opted for the angled.

The feature that I especially liked about the BPP shifter is that it can be adjusted to the driver's desired position. There are actually 16 different positions the angled shift handle can be placed in, depending on what is most comfortable for the driver. There is also a small hard plastic wedge that can be placed between the shifter mechanism and the handle that will angle the shifter towards or away from the driver at 5. The BPP shifter comes with a choice of the softer pre-installed springs and stiffer springs, allowing the user to choose whatever works best for him. I decided to keep the softer springs in.

After removing the Ripper, I placed both shifters side by side for a comparison. As you can see, both shifters were virtually the same length with the base of the BPP shifter being noticeably thicker.

Here are some of the various configurations:
For my own personal preferences, I chose the position below, with the shifter handle mounted to the passenger side of the shifter. I think it will take some trial and error to find the position that is most comfortable for each individual. It's nice to have that option. For long legged people like myself, I found having the shifter angled back towards me to be very comfortable. Breathless has updated their shifter since I have received mine, with the handle slotted on both sides so that the stock shift knob can be used regardless of shifter position. The handle was originally only slotted on one side.

Although I really liked my MOMO shift knob, I have an issue with the knob itself which is not unique to the BPP shifter, but was also a problem with the Ripper shifter as well. The beauty ring that covers the set screws does not slide down far enough on the shifter handle to allow the knob to be placed as low as possible. I would highly recommend a screw-on shift knob.

This is the completed installation with the stock shift knob but I will be changing to either the BPP or the MGW shift knob soon.

I have found the throws to be very short and crisp and it wasnt as notchy as my former B&M Ripper. I would definately recommend the BPP shifter and rate it a 5. Although I really liked the B&M Ripper, I like the Breathless Performance Products shifter better and will keep it installed in my Z06. Installation is the same as any shifter. Approximately 30 minutes to install and there are detailed easy to follow instructions that come with this shifter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 01:39 PM
2muchfun

Re: Product Review: Breathless Performance Shifter

Put one in my 04Z and was super satisfied. I liked the stiff springs but my wife didn't and would not drive the car - darn the luck!!! I ran this car hard at the drag strip and never missed a shift. Same for the street!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 PM
GhostRiderC5

We just installed it in my 2002 Z06 and also changed knobs. It feels more responsive than the stock shifter, and the throw is much shorter. I like it.

**edited**

Your site advertises for vendors who are not site vendors here. Please do not link to your site

Last edited by MikesZ06; 12-24-2007 at 10:29 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
ZsilverZ

How much noise do they make, or allow in, vs. the stock shifter?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:15 AM
panzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZsilverZ View Post
Just a little bit more than stock but it can be supressed with a little boot cover made from a rubber u-joint cover. If you don't have a partition between the trunk and the passenger compartment you will probably not hear any noise from the shifter anyway.

Ed Gibson 2001 Black Z06 64 & 68 Corvette verts
2005 Custom Mustang 2007 MB SL550 2014 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited 2016 F-150 Lariat

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:18 PM
kevinblownta

Send a message via AIM to kevinblownta Send a message via Yahoo to kevinblownta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZsilverZ View Post
Mine rattles like crazy - it makes my car sound like junk. I have had it in and out 3 times and need to find a way to get it quiet or I am selling it. My stock shifter doesn't make any noise whatsoever.

I want to add that I do like the way it shifts - just way too noisy on even moderate accelleration.

'95 Trans Am - Supercharged 383
'07 Corvette Z06 - Almost Stock

Last edited by kevinblownta; 04-22-2008 at 06:20 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 05:29 PM
tsroonney

wonderful! thanks for the info..

demande simulation pret personnel en ligne - Pret personnel en ligne et de comparer les meilleurs taux afin de... La demande de prt personnelen lignedemande simulation pret personnel en ligne
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
TXRED

Has used the MTI shifter?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:24 AM
chris.lynn

Hi dascrow!
thanks a tot for your nice explanation with attached pick. as it will help to take purchase decision. waiting for the many more update in future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Z06Vette News & Polls > Z06Vette Product Reviews