Howdy from Arizona - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
AZVette

Howdy from Arizona

Howdy all,

Just thought Iíd stop in and say ďhelloĒ and introduce myself. My name is Joel and I just purchased my first Corvette, an Ď02 Z06 manual, silver with black interior. Iíve always loved Corevettes but they were always a bit out of reach for me (or other obligations in life precluded me from owning one). Anyhow, Iím thorougly excited to start enjoying this car. I already have a list of things to do before sheís on the road: change all fluids, brake job, alignment, etc. and of course the valve springs Iíve read so much about. Iím all ears if anyone has any other suggestions about what I need to do right away to make her a joy on the road. Iím here to learn, although I do consider myself a well seasoned ďcar guyĒ, I have zero experience with Chevy V8s, so this is new territory for me.

Well, time to go lurk through the forums for nuggets of wisdom on these awesome beasts! Have a great weekend!

Regards,
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 06:01 PM
jub jub

Re: Howdy from Arizona

Welcome to the forum Joel! Congrats on your new Z06! It's a great car and should give you many miles of smiles! I wouldn't worry about the valve springs all that much. A lot of the problem with springs breaking comes from people abusing the engine before the oil temp comes to normal operating temp. So what you don't want to do is get on it until the oil temp is greater than 160. They're just like a muscle and need warming up before working it.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 06:28 PM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

As to valve springs, GM had gotten a bad batch of them and if your 2002 had them they would have broke a long time ago so
I would not worry about them right now

Being your in hot weather of Arz, since the LS6 is a bottom air breather is get under the nose and clean out the whole nose area that may have
junk reducing the cooler airflow through the coolers

Get the car plugged into a OBD-II scanner and check for any error codes, check to see the engine is not running too lean or rich
Also check with how the 2 O2 sensors are functioning as they may be too old and need replacing at least the 2 front ones.

Get a cleaner that is used to clean the MAF sensor and clean the throttlebody, make sure the airbridge has no air leaks
Clean or replace the airfilter (if it is washable type)

Check battery for no acid leaks and check, (clean if need be) the several ground points on frame.

If you do not know the history think of replacing fluids in the tranny and rear end.

You do not mention if all stock or has mods, if so other things to check out

Mike M - 2001 / 2008 Z06s

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
AZVette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
Welcome to the forum Joel! Congrats on your new Z06! It's a great car and should give you many miles of smiles! I wouldn't worry about the valve springs all that much. A lot of the problem with springs breaking comes from people abusing the engine before the oil temp comes to normal operating temp. So what you don't want to do is get on it until the oil temp is greater than 160. They're just like a muscle and need warming up before working it.
Jub jub,

Thanks for the welcome! The muscle analogy makes sense. Itís almost always 80-100 degrees here, so it shouldnít take too long for a warm-up lap. Iíve only had the car for a few days but I am definitely enjoying it; just cleaning and detailing for now. Canít wait to address all the little things here and there that need some refreshing. But, thatís what I enjoy doing - tinkering on cars. Have a great weekend!

Regards,
Joel
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
AZVette

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingvette View Post
As to valve springs, GM had gotten a bad batch of them and if your 2002 had them they would have broke a long time ago so
I would not worry about them right now

Being your in hot weather of Arz, since the LS6 is a bottom air breather is get under the nose and clean out the whole nose area that may have
junk reducing the cooler airflow through the coolers

Get the car plugged into a OBD-II scanner and check for any error codes, check to see the engine is not running too lean or rich
Also check with how the 2 O2 sensors are functioning as they may be too old and need replacing at least the 2 front ones.

Get a cleaner that is used to clean the MAF sensor and clean the throttlebody, make sure the airbridge has no air leaks
Clean or replace the airfilter (if it is washable type)

Check battery for no acid leaks and check, (clean if need be) the several ground points on frame.

If you do not know the history think of replacing fluids in the tranny and rear end.

You do not mention if all stock or has mods, if so other things to check out

Mike,

Thank you for the guidance. I will certainly follow it. The car is completely stock with only 47,000 miles on it. Hence why I am worried about the springs, as it seems most cars had them fail around that mileage (according to the various things I’ve been reading). I crawled under the car today and found that it is missing parts of the plastic air dam underneath the nose and the skid bar/crash bar is pretty ragged looking. I’ll take the filter assembly apart tomorrow and do some more investigating so it can breath easier. Is there a MAF cleaner that you recommend?

As for codes, I did the “press the option button, then the fuel button four times” trick and got a list of a few codes. The CEL did come on while driving today as well. :/ Anyway, I will write down the codes and report back tomorrow. I think one of them is commonly caused by a loose gas cap (or so Google said so). Also, I do not know the fluid history so I’m just going to change everything out to start off with a clean slate.

Regarding getting under the C5Z...any suggestions for a good low profile floor jack or low profile ramps? I’m starting off as a complete newbie with this car, so things like proper jack points and so forth are things I’m going to have to find out (I do have the original owner’s manual, so I suppose I will start there). I’m not new to cars in general, but this is my first Vette so I’m wanting to do everything the right way - no shortcuts.

Thank you for the welcome!

Regards,
Joel

Last edited by AZVette; 05-19-2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Edit
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 AM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

Joel, that air dam is important as the center piece is angled to direct air upward for A/C and radiator cooling and reducing front end lift by limiting air getting under the car

Any auto parts or even Walmart sell a MAF, electronics spray cleaner, assure when putting the air-bridge back in that the couplers are on correctly so no un-metered air leaks which will cause bad fuel trims

You need to report on all error codes,
If gas cap not on tight is not the problem then it could be the check valves for the smog system are stuck or check for vacuum hose leaks for smog systems such as smog pump or EVAP

Harbor Freight sells a couple of good low standing floor jacks.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
AZVette

Quote:
Joel, that air dam is important as the center piece is angled to direct air upward for A/C and radiator cooling and reducing front end lift by limiting air getting under the car

Any auto parts or even Walmart sell a MAF, electronics spray cleaner, assure when putting the air-bridge back in that the couplers are on correctly so no un-metered air leaks which will cause bad fuel trims

You need to report on all error codes,
If gas cap not on tight is not the problem then it could be the check valves for the smog system are stuck or check for vacuum hose leaks for smog systems such as smog pump or EVAP

Harbor Freight sells a couple of good low standing floor jacks.
Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I picked up an low profile jack at Harbor Freight yesterday, have some of the aluminum jack "pucks" on order and I have a gaggle of codes to report. Here goes:

10-PCM: P0442HC

28-TCS: C1288H, U1301H, C1241HC, C1284H

AO-LDCM: B2252H, B2202H, B2282H, B2264H, U1064H, U1096H, B2284H, B2262H

AO-RDCM: B2283H, B2285H, B2263H, U1064H, B2265H, U1096H (same as above...odd)

58-SDM: U1301H

A6-SCM: B0851H

I did a bit of reading on C5 codes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there is an "H" next to the code that means it is "historical" and is not a "current" code which is indicated by the "C" next to the code.

I also have the 2002 Corvette FSM on order.

Regarding that center portion of the air dam, I will have to replace the skid plate/crash bar before I can install a new one. It is pretty banged up. Any recommendations on reputable places to order various parts and so forth? Corvettes are completely new to me, so I'm learning as I read through the forums but everyone has their favorite parts supplier...

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to point me in the right direction, Mike. Hope you had a good Monday.

Regards,
Joel
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
AZVette

Oh, and these codes were pulled without the car running. Not sure if that will have an influence. Perhaps I should go back out and check them again.

Regards,
Joel
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:58 PM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

Makes no difference if codes are read with engine on or off

Most of those Codes (U) are comm,
meaning all the controllers exchange info via the car's data network and in your case several controllers are not hearing the others

As you see both doors controllers have U codes, so does the airbag controller

Start from scratch, disconnect negative of battery for like 20 seconds ( Ign key out) and doors closed.
this will flush out all error codes (DTCs) and averages for fuel trims, etc

After reconnect of battery, restart and controllers will begin to do relearns.
Now check for DTCs and see if the U DTCs are gone

That type of error can be caused by a weak battery, when at idle, ( no A/C, radio, lights, etc ON) the voltage gauge should be about 14.5 volts
If you do not have a battery load tester stop at some auto parts store and borrow theirs or Habor Freight sells one for like $45

You need to check out controller for ABS and TC
it could be the TSB was never done for a problem

In fact good idea is got to a Chevy dealer and have them use like a TECH-I tool and query all controllers as to level of their software
and if not up to date as software fixes for them

Vehicle: All Technical Service Bulletins

VSES - Warning Displayed, DTC C1288 Stored

Brakes Bulletin No.: 01-05-25-004A Date: November, 2001

TECHNICAL

Subject:

Yellow: Traction Control/Handling Lamp On and Driver Info Center Displays Service Active Hndlg (Handling) (Repair/Reprogram ABS Module)

Models:

2001-2002 Chevrolet Corvette Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 25106536

This bulletin is being revised to add an additional model year and revise the text. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-05-25-004 (Section - 05 Brakes).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the "Yellow" message, "Service Traction Active Handling", is illuminated on the Driver Information Center. The technician may find chassis DTC C1288 - Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES) Steering Wheel Sensor Phase A and B. When this code is set, the VSES is turned off, ABS and TCS remain operational.

Correction

Verify the Techline equipment has been updated with TIS software 12 or newer. If it has not been updated, do so now. This software was broadcast to dealerships on 11 /13/01. Disc Number 12 will be mailed November 14,2001.

1. Install the scan tool to the vehicle.
2. Enter the chassis applications.
3. Select F1: ABS/TCS/VSES.
4. Select F4: ID Information.
5. Select Fl: Controller Information 2.

5.1. If the DE Calibration P/N is not 12220685, it will be necessary to update the ABS module.

5.2. If the calibration is already 12220605, refer to the Service Manual, Brakes, Antilock Brake System, Diagnostic Information and Procedures, DTC 1288, SI2000 Document ID 670707.

Important:
The update cannot be performed until fuse # 25 (Body Control Module-Ignition 1, Instrument Panel Control) 10 amp is removed from the instrument panel fuse block which is located on the passenger side of the vehicle (under the instrument panel and under the toe board).

Without removal of the fuse (prior to requesting information), unsuccessful reprogramming may occur.

6. Power down the scan tool.
7. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
8. Remove fuse # 25, (Body Control Module-Ignition 1, Instrument Panel Control) 10 amp.
9. Using the scan tool, perform the usual SPS reprogramming of the ABS module.
10. Power down the scan tool.
11. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
12. Replace fuse # 25, (Body Control Module-Ignition 1, Instrument Panel Control) 10 amp.
13. Verify the ABS DE Calibration P/N. If it is not P/N 12220685, redo the SPS programing procedure listed above.
14. Clear the codes from all the modules.

The P0442 of course is fie EVAP and as mentioned is the gas cap requires couple more spins after it is tight
Most of the other DTCs agaim can be from a weak battery or a Alt issue.

Being there is a lot of OBD-II scanners that run on a laptop (using MSwindows) cost less then $100 ( like Amazon) you really long term should have one
if for Corvette or other vehicles you have

Depending on the laptop you have scanners can be bought that use USB, Bluetooth, Wireless and some even also work with your cell phone

OK, go to it . .

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
AZVette

Quote:
Makes no difference if codes are read with engine on or off

Most of those Codes (U) are comm,
meaning all the controllers exchange info via the car's data network and in your case several controllers are not hearing the others

As you see both doors controllers have U codes, so does the airbag controller

Start from scratch, disconnect negative of battery for like 20 seconds ( Ign key out) and doors closed.
this will flush out all error codes (DTCs) and averages for fuel trims, etc

After reconnect of battery, restart and controllers will begin to do relearns.
Now check for DTCs and see if the U DTCs are gone

That type of error can be caused by a weak battery, when at idle, ( no A/C, radio, lights, etc ON) the voltage gauge should be about 14.5 volts
If you do not have a battery load tester stop at some auto parts store and borrow theirs or Habor Freight sells one for like $45

You need to check out controller for ABS and TC
it could be the TSB was never done for a problem

In fact good idea is got to a Chevy dealer and have them use like a TECH-I tool and query all controllers as to level of their software
and if not up to date as software fixes for them

Vehicle: All Technical Service Bulletins

VSES - Warning Displayed, DTC C1288 Stored

Brakes Bulletin No.: 01-05-25-004A Date: November, 2001

TECHNICAL

Subject:

Yellow: Traction Control/Handling Lamp On and Driver Info Center Displays Service Active Hndlg (Handling) (Repair/Reprogram ABS Module)

Models:

2001-2002 Chevrolet Corvette Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 25106536

This bulletin is being revised to add an additional model year and revise the text. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-05-25-004 (Section - 05 Brakes).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the "Yellow" message, "Service Traction Active Handling", is illuminated on the Driver Information Center. The technician may find chassis DTC C1288 - Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES) Steering Wheel Sensor Phase A and B. When this code is set, the VSES is turned off, ABS and TCS remain operational.

Correction

Verify the Techline equipment has been updated with TIS software 12 or newer. If it has not been updated, do so now. This software was broadcast to dealerships on 11 /13/01. Disc Number 12 will be mailed November 14,2001.

1. Install the scan tool to the vehicle.
2. Enter the chassis applications.
3. Select F1: ABS/TCS/VSES.
4. Select F4: ID Information.
5. Select Fl: Controller Information 2.

5.1. If the DE Calibration P/N is not 12220685, it will be necessary to update the ABS module.

5.2. If the calibration is already 12220605, refer to the Service Manual, Brakes, Antilock Brake System, Diagnostic Information and Procedures, DTC 1288, SI2000 Document ID 670707.

Important:
The update cannot be performed until fuse # 25 (Body Control Module-Ignition 1, Instrument Panel Control) 10 amp is removed from the instrument panel fuse block which is located on the passenger side of the vehicle (under the instrument panel and under the toe board).

Without removal of the fuse (prior to requesting information), unsuccessful reprogramming may occur.

6. Power down the scan tool.
7. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
8. Remove fuse # 25, (Body Control Module-Ignition 1, Instrument Panel Control) 10 amp.
9. Using the scan tool, perform the usual SPS reprogramming of the ABS module.
10. Power down the scan tool.
11. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
12. Replace fuse # 25, (Body Control Module-Ignition 1, Instrument Panel Control) 10 amp.
13. Verify the ABS DE Calibration P/N. If it is not P/N 12220685, redo the SPS programing procedure listed above.
14. Clear the codes from all the modules.

The P0442 of course is fie EVAP and as mentioned is the gas cap requires couple more spins after it is tight
Most of the other DTCs agaim can be from a weak battery or a Alt issue.

Being there is a lot of OBD-II scanners that run on a laptop (using MSwindows) cost less then $100 ( like Amazon) you really long term should have one
if for Corvette or other vehicles you have

Depending on the laptop you have scanners can be bought that use USB, Bluetooth, Wireless and some even also work with your cell phone

OK, go to it . .

Mike,

Wow! Thank you very much for that detailed response. I truly appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction. I just got home, so I will go out and replace the gas cap (just arrived) and also disconnect the battery per your instructions to see what happens with the codes. Thankfully Harbor Freight just opened a store nearby, so perhaps I will make a trip over there for some of the equipment you mentioned.

As it stands, I have mostly Apple computer products, so I may have to go purchase a cheap Windows based laptop or something for the OBD-II scanner you mentioned. My daily driver is a Toyota Tacoma, so I suppose the OBD-II scanner might help there in the future as well.

Standby...going out to at least partially execute your instructions...

Regards,
Joel
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
AZVette

Okay, replaced the gas cap, tightened it to four clicks just to be safe. Disconnected the battery for about a minute. However, all the codes were still there. So, I suppose I will have to wait until the weekend to dig a little deeper. I will make an appointment with the local Chevy dealer to make sure all of the software updates and TSBs have been completed as well.

If I'm going to replace the battery anyway, any objections to placing an Odyssey in there?

Thank you again.

Regards,
Joel
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
AZVette

Oh...a few other things: I have the radiator lower support and air dam pieces on order, so hopefully I can get those replaced/installed ASAP as well.

I've yet to dismantle the intake to see if there is any debris present or to spray a MAF cleaner in there.

Regards,
Joel
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:04 PM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

Joel

These cars due to all the memory setting it has draws voltage 24/7.
When car is not used for some time (colder weather worse) the battery drains down and some times it never charges back up

Thus to save battery and to prevent bad startups, get a battery tender (not a charger) HF has them
If your going to HF they sell a battery load tester for about $45 which will allow you to put a good load on battery and see if it recovers

Are you stating that after battery disconnect you then looked at DTCs and they all were back via the DIC ?
If so see if any are now gone and report what is still showing,

Suggest you check ALL fuses in both fuse panels (engine and under passenger floor hatch
when in there check to see if any mice, etc did not eat wiring, the cars network is also there

Check to see if in past a bad batter did NOT leak acid ( common with side posts) and dripped into wiring by firewall
Check and clean all ground spice packs, where several grounds go to the same pack and then is bolted to frame, 4 of them on left/right frames
for engine alone
Choice of battery types seems to be a personal one but if using a battery tender keeps battery good, mine ore over 10 years old and lots of time on tender

A OBD-II scanner once you learn to use it and learn when all the feedback sensors report will help your learning curve, you can even see how much torque engine puts out but best allows you to see if something is degrading before it craps out so YES even a cheap laptop that used MSwindows is OK

make sure it has a couple of USB ports, if it has Bluetooth is good as then you can get a scanner that has a Bluetooth interface that plugs into the DLC under the dash and then connects to your laptop for the scanner
Scanner would allow you to select what PIDs you want to scan and/or record while your driving and later replay it
Also would allow you to see all DTCs and clear them

The center airdam is spring loaded, when you have it fixed make sure that center piece is not too loose because if it is when at speed the moving air will cause the dam topush inward which will reflect air away from pushing through the coolers

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
AZVette

Time for the nightly update:

I cleaned the MAF and throttle body with some CRC products and also replaced the gas cap. Cleared all the codes in the DIC and then disconnected the battery for about 30 seconds. The CEL went away, however, the TCS C1241HC code remains. Hopefully, next week sometime I will get the car into Chevy and have the TSBs/software updates addressed or at least know if they were/are done. As an aside, I ordered a new Odyssey 925MJT battery since Iím going to try and start anew with everything on this car. Oh well, at least it is an AGM battery - I like them as I have a dual Odyssey setup in I installed in my Tacoma. I digress.

Regards,
Joel
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 07:32 AM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

C1241 relates to Magna steer, check wiring, grounds or sensor for it and the EBCM
There also maybe be GM TSB for this

Review this thread here
https://www.z06vette.com/forums/f55/h...-codes-123601/''

I would wait and see once battery is replaced if that DTC goes away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Introductions > Introduce yourself