Need a little help with Air pump plumbing - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
CorvetteG

Need a little help with Air pump plumbing

Hi Guys! I bought a 1999 Corvette Convertible a few weeks back and I need some help! The previous owner/owners removed the original 5.7L LS engine and installed a LQ4 6.0L LS engine in its place. The 6.0 has got a rather extensive list of Go Fast Goodies installed into it, yet the problem I am having is, my state, Texas requires that in order to pass the visual Inspection I need to have the Air Pump plumbing intact. Plus, my car is throwing a p410 code while the car is running and it will not pass Emissions.

Does someone have an Air Pump plumbing set up that they removed from their car, because their state does not require the plumbing and would that very nice person be willing to sell/trade it to a newbie C5 Corvette owner(me!) that need it?

I've been on the horn looking for one local, and the Chevy dealer parts guy told me that most of the plumbing is no longer offered by Chevy and all of the auto salvage places I talked to told me that they usually sell the plumbing with the engines they sell and won't strip off the plumbing unless I buy the whole engine.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:52 PM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

Re: Need a little help with Air pump plumbing

I hate to be the one to give you bad news but you need to know what could be ahead for you

If they do a visual you can be in a lot more money

Past owner may have put headers on and that is smog illegal
They may also deleted the CATSs, that is also illegal and they may also deleted the 2 O2 sensors after the CATS

The smog pump is located below the left headlight, check to see if the pump is still there or gone
from the pump is a hose which goes to the left exhaust manifold which has a check valve which then mounts
to center of exhaust manifold, see if that is capped off or worse if headers does not even have the smog mount

That hose then goes around the back of engine by firewall and then goes to another check valve to the exhaust
of right manifold.

Now they may have hacked the GM calibration to turn off smog, CATS and rear O2 sensors so even replacing the parts they still would have problems

C5 has 4 O2 sensors, 2 are before the CATS and then 2 after them
IF past owners hacked CATS and rear O2s out, the wiring for rears may have been cut off and the 2 fronts have long wires due to IF there is long tube headers

Now depends on how much the visual the smog shop does.
If they do not bother to look under the car and do not see headers then maybe you can get off my just putting the smog parts back on

Now they also would do the smog testing (if county your in does that) and if they see any of what I mentioned not working or tripping error codes the car also would fail

You need to solve the visual first, then you need to use the DIC of C5 and see if ANY current or history error codes are showing. Do NOT do a smog test if errors are shown !

Else find someone that has a OBD-II scanner that does the same smog tests and see if car will pass of fail OBD-II tests

Lastly due to all the mods the PCM tune could be OK or crap and like running way to rich or lean would get caught in testing IF your county also requires the car on a chassis dyno type tester and runs engine 240 seconds for 15 and 25 MPH while monitoring the exhaust makeup from exhaust tips

So you need to first find out exactly what type of testing in your county and correct from that

Some states allow for a "pre-Test" meaning you pay for the smog test and if car fails it is not entered into state smog database and not go against the car.

Never ever disconnect battery before going to a smog test as when doing so ALL internal PCM smog test results are erased and they all would show a non-complete (failed) state and could take several drive cycles to complete and be a in passed state

Mike M - 2001 / 2008 Z06s
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
CorvetteG

Hi Racingvette! Thank you for your reply. Thankfully the car has factory exhaust manifolds and all 4, o2 sensors. I did replace the front 2 just to be safe. The inspection process is for visual inspection, no under car, ODB connection for test and with State reporting. They do a courtesy test just to make sure it will pass so they do not report failed tests to the State. Plus, I am friends with the Inspection Station owner and they are very helpful with the various "projects" I've brought to them for inspection over the years!
As far as the ECM being flashed, I'm not sure. The Air Pump is intact and under the left side head lamp assembly, and I was able to locate the rubber tubes that go from the air pump to the engine compartment and to the stock air cleaner. I do not have a stock air cleaner, yet there is a port for the fresh air port of the air pump.
From the rubber tubes that lead from the air pump to the engine, that is were the hole shebang is AWOL!
I need all of the plumbing from that point back.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:46 AM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteG View Post
Hi Racingvette! Thank you for your reply. Thankfully the car has factory exhaust manifolds and all 4, o2 sensors. I did replace the front 2 just to be safe. The inspection process is for visual inspection, no under car, ODB connection for test and with State reporting. They do a courtesy test just to make sure it will pass so they do not report failed tests to the State. Plus, I am friends with the Inspection Station owner and they are very helpful with the various "projects" I've brought to them for inspection over the years!
As far as the ECM being flashed, I'm not sure. The Air Pump is intact and under the left side head lamp assembly, and I was able to locate the rubber tubes that go from the air pump to the engine compartment and to the stock air cleaner. I do not have a stock air cleaner, yet there is a port for the fresh air port of the air pump.
From the rubber tubes that lead from the air pump to the engine, that is were the hole shebang is AWOL!
I need all of the plumbing from that point back.
Since you know someone in a smog shop then it should be less of a problem

Get your check valves, Amazon has 5 of them in stock so order the 2 of them at

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...rolet+Corvette

$28 each

You will have to come up from ends of smog hoses (after check valves) to mount to each exhaust ports.

For visual check that the hose on drivers side of throttlebody runs along by valve cover to a solenoid and then back to firewall, that is for smog evap which goes to ass end for evap tank but at least check for what can be seen in engine bay for evap.

Check via DIC or a code scanner that on-board smog tests are in a complete state and no DTCs are tripped that tune may have been set not to trip the check engine light before going for official smog tests

Mike M - 2001 / 2008 Z06s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Introductions > Introduce yourself