Hey all, new guy checking in here. Bought my first Corvette in February of this year, a 2002 Z06 with 90k on the clock. It was a 5 owner car and had been in a small fender bender on the left corner. I bought it with a few problems even though it still promised to be a good car at the time. Problems ended up being greater than I had anticipated, with a few added bad surprises along the way. Now fast forward six months later, thousands of dollars and maybe only 2000 more miles on the clock, I have so far done the following:
- Rebuilt the entire transmission with a steel 3-4 shift fork and brass fork pads
- Replaced the rear main seal, clutch assembly w/associated parts.
- New belts and tensioner and pulleys
- GM Performance Red wires and NGK TR55 spark plugs
- Installed LMC5 and still had problems, finally paid a tuner to tune the fuel cut off out and lower fan activation temps by 10 degrees
- Replaced the aftermarket wheels with OEM Speedlines (paid out the nose for them) and installed NT05's in the rear.
- Replaced passenger window regulator
- Replaced broken driver's side sun visor
- Replaced misc missing trim pieces here and there
- All new fluids except for the power steering fluid
Cosmetically, I've added a pair of Lloyd Z06 floor mats, stubby antenna and just got the windows tinted with Llumar CTX 15 all around.
The paint is not in the best shape and the car still has a few minor issues here and there (still have some wheel hop and hazard switch needs replacing).
Overall, it drives great now. Hopefully I can fully enjoy this car soon!
I also just looked through the oil filler neck and noticed that my valve springs are not yellow but instead appear to be bare/unpainted. Does this mean I am in the clear as far as valve spring failure? I highly doubt any of the previous owners made the swap, but there is evidence that my heads were removed at some point...
Anyway, onto some pics!