Corvette Z06 Forum banner

New guy from SoCal

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jub jub 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, new guy checking in here. Bought my first Corvette in February of this year, a 2002 Z06 with 90k on the clock. It was a 5 owner car and had been in a small fender bender on the left corner. I bought it with a few problems even though it still promised to be a good car at the time. Problems ended up being greater than I had anticipated, with a few added bad surprises along the way. Now fast forward six months later, thousands of dollars and maybe only 2000 more miles on the clock, I have so far done the following:

• Rebuilt the entire transmission with a steel 3-4 shift fork and brass fork pads
  • Replaced the rear main seal, clutch assembly w/associated parts.
  • New radiator and hoses
  • New belts and tensioner and pulleys
  • GM Performance Red wires and NGK TR55 spark plugs
  • Installed LMC5 and still had problems, finally paid a tuner to tune the fuel cut off out and lower fan activation temps by 10 degrees
  • Replaced the aftermarket wheels with OEM Speedlines (paid out the nose for them) and installed NT05's in the rear.
  • New motor mounts
  • Replaced passenger window regulator
  • Replaced broken driver's side sun visor
  • Replaced misc missing trim pieces here and there
  • All new fluids except for the power steering fluid

Cosmetically, I've added a pair of Lloyd Z06 floor mats, stubby antenna and just got the windows tinted with Llumar CTX 15 all around.

The paint is not in the best shape and the car still has a few minor issues here and there (still have some wheel hop and hazard switch needs replacing).

Overall, it drives great now. Hopefully I can fully enjoy this car soon!

I also just looked through the oil filler neck and noticed that my valve springs are not yellow but instead appear to be bare/unpainted. Does this mean I am in the clear as far as valve spring failure? I highly doubt any of the previous owners made the swap, but there is evidence that my heads were removed at some point...

Anyway, onto some pics!

See less See more
#2 ·
With 90K on the car, you may want to have the clutch checked. Notorious the clutch that many were changed out due to hard acceleration causing the clutch pedal to go to the floor. Otherwise, looks like you got a solid example.

And Welcome Aboard!

#3 ·
The clutch pedal did occasionally stick to the floor at WOT during the test drive, but I had it replaced during the rear main seal job!

The original clutch had uneven wear and heat spots on the pressure plate. Also, the slave cylinder was completely bad. I replaced everything with an OEM clutch, pressure plate and flywheel, and slave cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.