Selling a Classic Car For a Z06 - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
silverbird

Selling a Classic Car For a Z06

I've been lurking here for years.....Great site!
I've always appreciated the looks and performance of the C5 Z06. I've actually had the opportunity on a couple of occasions to drive a friends 2003 Z. I knew from that point on, that one day, I will have to own one of these cars. It looks as though the opportunity may be approaching very soon. Although it wasn't really for sale, I have received a substantial offer for my 1967 GTO. Although I've always wanted a Z06, this is very tough decision for me. I've owned this car for fifteen years. Unfortunately, I can't afford both. The GTO was fun for a long time, but I've become bored with the car show scene. It seems as though my GTO has become more of a full scale model car. I feel it's time to move on.
I want something that is fast, fun to drive, reliable and looks great. It would also be nice to own a car that I could use to go on longer trips. For me, the C5 Z06 fits the bill perfectly. Hopefully, I won't regret selling the Goat once I become an owner of one of these wonderfull cars.
Any insight from anyone out there that has gone through this situation would be appreciated.
Thanks, and hope to officially join your ranks soon.
Silverbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 01:54 PM
KJN VET
Z06 Pilot

"67 Goat..:cool: ..my favorite muscle car, how about a picture? Oh and welcome to the site.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 01:55 PM
FASN8N
Z06 Addict

Tough choice
Been there done that. Sold the 67 Shelby GT350 and 68 GT500. They were great cars and I enjoyed the car show scene for many years, but you can only rub, polish, show, and trailer the cars so much before you become bored. Not to mention you get sick of the politics at some of the larger shows (i.e. SAAC judges telling you your car is less than perfect while they slip you a card offering to sell you the parts to make your car "right". Turns out they are Shelby parts dealers too! What a nice way to line the pockets!) At this point it is time to sell and let the next guy enjoy the car and carry on the enthusiasm. This is better than letting the car sit in your garage. Cars are made to be enjoyed. My dad once told me "I am going to put as many miles on the car as I can, why should I let you enjoy putting all the miles on the car when I pass away?" Food for thought

Last edited by FASN8N; 08-10-2006 at 01:58 PM.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 02:00 PM
RandyN

No!

keep the Goat. Do an upgrade, add some Alum heads, or whatever to keep the interest going.

I've got a 74 SD 455 TA. So many times I thought about selling it. Everytime I look back at the vette or any other late model car I considered selling my TA for I thank God I did not.

I actually thought the 87 IROC was hot. I had people that wanted to trade me. Talk about a potential heartattack.

I also almost traded for an 84' Vette.

I have had the car since 1983. After owning and seeing how much better every new car is then the year before, I say thank god I didn't.

Now here is a real wrench, after losing 30,000 on my 02 Z06, I said to myself, self you love to hotrod cars and late models are like flushing money away, so, I bought a 69 camaro to build and have fun. Done right I will lose way less than the late model Vette. Now, when the next SS, Stingray, or whatever comes out, I don't have a car that is just yesterdays news. Don't get me wrong the new Z is just incredible, but if money is a real issue, go the muscle car route since your wallet will still be pumping 5 years from now.

Randy
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 02:05 PM
RandyN

Here is a question,

Which would you rather own.

The 08 Z07 at 125,000 or 69' Camaro that steilow built called the "Mule". The words "Timeless and Priceless". That car is just bad, especially now that Charlie LLiard put a twin turbo small block in it. Or how about the 572" Balwin camaro with A/C. Just imagine if Steilow offered financing.

Randy
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 02:20 PM
longdaddy

dang, tough choice... I say figure out a way to have both
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Blue Angel
Z06 Pilot

I say it all depends on your priorities and how much you want to drive it.

If you're gonna keep the Z in the garage and treat it like the old Goat, you're better off with the old Goat.

If you're gonna drive it lots, and therefore enjoy it, then the Z is the way to go.

I drive my Z every day during the summer months (Canadian winter + Z = Bad decision).

My mother found out I was buying the car and she immediately said, "Why wouldn't you buy a classic Corvette instead, that way it wouldn't depreciate..." I wanted a car that I could get in and drive, and enjoy, every day, ANY day, rain or shine, and not worry about whether or not it was going to start or what "daily" maintenance it would require.

My '02Z has been the very definition of a reliable daily driver. Other than the OEM battery crapping out the car had been absolutely reliable. I even take it camping!

https://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100657

I've enjoyed this car thoroughly, and have no regrets about buying it. I hope all Z owners feel the same way.

'02 EB/MR Z
Halltech Stngr, LGM Pro LTs, Stock Tune, 4 18" R2's on OEM Rears
11.86 @ 118, 1.82 60' (F1's), best 60' 1.80 (R2's)
80% Track, 20% Driver, 100% Z :D
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 02:38 PM
RandyN

Blue,

what we consider a daily driver is a whole new debate. I call evryday driver a every day beater

Funny story:

I leased a new 06' SC Range Rover. After having a 1500.00 dollar-a-month daily driver, I've realized how stupid it was. I went into the Dodge Dealer to look at trucks. The Manger laughed and said:

"Shit I will lease you a new Viper and a decent truck for everyday driving for that much"

Bottom line, I feel real shitty now. I wish I had just a some decent little something as an everyday beater
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 03:23 PM
vettemo
Z06 Addict

I have had more trouble with my 84 Z28 when it was new than either of the vettes, the 84 vette was almost flawless in service, a few small problems but very easy an simple to fix, And the 04 has never had any problems 8000 miles great fuel mileage . I don't tend blame any car for something I do to it, but I do fix my own cars not trusting dealer service

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 03:28 PM
longdaddy

I am really sorry to highjack the post, but I had to re-read rick's post several times and I am still scratching my head,

Rick, I am not sure what is the problem with your Z06

A window stopped working. OK. Simple warranty fix. The only problem in 2 years - that is not bad all. I know acura owners who take their cars for several warranty repairs a year with problems of a similar scale. Hell, I've seen a 2 month old ferrari getting towed away with a non-starting engine :bang: If you are afraid to go to a dealer for a fix, your problem is with a dealer, not the car. Look around, there are dealerships with competent service people.

There are recalls on C5s. OK. sure. There are also recalls on Toyotas and BMWs. So what.

I am not sure what the "refinement of the engine" means.

MPG-wise C5 is ahead of C4.

Z06 "sits in one spot" compared to Zr1? 405HP and 3200lbs vs 385HP abd 3400+lbs? Does not add up.

10MPG you either drive 40mph in 1st gear or they sold you a broken car to begin with.

Unless your car came somehow crippled from the factory, it really sounds like your issue is with your own decision to buy a new car and some dissapointing dealer experiences. I don't think it's fair to blame either one on GM or your car. Just my opinion.

Back on topic:
I drive the Z daily, rain or shine. It is truly "a beater" as far as function goes. I also drive it on the track. And on the few thousand mile roadtrips. It does everything (well, I would not drive it in the snow). It is comfortable to drive on the long trips and gets almost 30mpg on highway.
I have been to the dealership 3 times - swapped headlight actuator, fuel filler hose and windshield fluid sensor. For 3.5 year old car that is being driven and not just waxed once in a while, this is pretty good.
Oh yeah, I got it used at a very reasonable price, so no buyer's remorse here
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 03:31 PM
vettemo
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyN
No!

I've got a 74 SD 455 TA. So many times I thought about selling it. Everytime I look back at the vette or any other late model car I considered selling my TA for I thank God I did not.

Randy
I once had a buddy with a 74 white SD and it ran real good, the acceleration at that time was ohshit fast!!! I must be gitting old, 0 to 60 in 4sec doesn't feel fast anymore like that old SD

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 03:36 PM
vettemo
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdaddy
I am really sorry to highjack the post, but I had to re-read rick's post several times and I am still scratching my head,

Rick, I am not sure what is the problem with your Z06

A window stopped working. OK. Simple warranty fix. The only problem in 2 years - that is not bad all. I know acura owners who take their cars for several warranty repairs a year with problems of a similar scale. Hell, I've seen a 2 month old ferrari getting towed away with a non-starting engine :bang: If you are afraid to go to a dealer for a fix, your problem is with a dealer, not the car. Look around, there are dealerships with competent service people.

There are recalls on C5s. OK. sure. There are also recalls on Toyotas and BMWs. So what.

I am not sure what the "refinement of the engine" means.

MPG-wise C5 is ahead of C4.

Z06 "sits in one spot" compared to Zr1? 405HP and 3200lbs vs 385HP abd 3400+lbs? Does not add up.

10MPG you either drive 40mph in 1st gear or they sold you a broken car to begin with.

Unless your car came somehow crippled from the factory, it really sounds like your issue is with your own decision to buy a new car and some dissapointing dealer experiences. I don't think it's fair to blame either one on GM or your car. Just my opinion.

Back on topic:
I drive the Z daily, rain or shine. It is truly "a beater" as far as function goes. I also drive it on the track. And on the few thousand mile roadtrips. It does everything (well, I would not drive it in the snow). It is comfortable to drive on the long trips and gets almost 30mpg on highway.
I have been to the dealership 3 times - swapped headlight actuator, fuel filler hose and windshield fluid sensor. For 3.5 year old car that is being driven and not just waxed once in a while, this is pretty good.
Oh yeah, I got it used at a very reasonable price, so no buyer's remorse here

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 03:58 PM
RandyN

I hope I did not offend anybody by comparing or saying that an old muscle car is better than a late model. Fact is the new cars are far better far as reliability, technology, gas milage and so on.

It is just that as cars rapidly improve, older models tend to rapidly lose value. It is a loosing battle to keep these cars and want to one day get out of them for something else. For whatever reason the older muscle cars have seemed to be a much smarter purchase regardless of your taste of car crafting. Whether it be hot rodding, restoration, customizing or whatever. These older cars just seem to hang if not increase in value. If you one day want to sell a Camaro and try a Dodge you don't get killed. I think that for this reason the trend of modernizing old cars is so popular, hell, you can even buy a brand new 69' Camaro if you want.

In closing we all have our own idea what makes us happy and that is usually not the most financially smart. I was just giving my opinion on how to possibly satisfy your car needs and be a little better off down the road for what your project car is worth financially.

Randy
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 04:08 PM
FASN8N
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel
I say it all depends on your priorities and how much you want to drive it.

If you're gonna keep the Z in the garage and treat it like the old Goat, you're better off with the old Goat.

If you're gonna drive it lots, and therefore enjoy it, then the Z is the way to go.
I agree 1000%
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 04:35 PM
gsjack

You can never look at cars for investment reasons. Yes, some of the muscle cars have gone crazy in escalation values.

But, IMHO right now, C5 Z06's are the best bang for the buck out there.

Don't worry about the minor recall probs or glitches. All cars have them, to me, an 04 Z was the pinnacle of the run.

Good Luck on your decision on parting with the Goat.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand