Thinking about a Z06 - advice for a newbie? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Tiembo

Thinking about a Z06 - advice for a newbie?

Hi all,

I just got back from driving a 03 Z06 at GM's Auto Show In Motion, and must say that it certainly upped my desire to own one. I've looked on GM's site, and they mention that they're running a 0% APR special for 60 months on 03 Corvettes. This sounds like quite a deal, so I'm doing some research before this offer expires.

I've spoke to my friend Andi Baritchi, and he mentioned that the main difference between the 03 and 04 Z06 is the suspension. Other than that, are there any discernable changes between these model years?

Also, this will be the first time that I've purchased a domestic vehicle. In the past, I've steered away from them due to their relatively poor reliability. However, I've read that GM's build quality has increased quite a bit, which I can see reflected in the Vette landing a spot in Car and Driver's top 10. Is it safe to assume that the Z06's reliability in on par with Toyota and Honda's offerings? (As with any car enthusiast, I keep my car under good maintenance)

Any other tips or suggestions that y'all Vette owners would like to share in obtaining a new Z06?

Thanks in advance!

[Mods: Please move if this is in the wrong category]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Andi
Z06 Addict

Hey bud, what's up? You're crossing the fence too? LOL.

No, GM's quality isn't up to Toyota/Honda standards yet. The Z06 is an awesome go-kart but a quality, well designed and well scrwed together automobile it is not. I miss Toyota engineering. That having been said, all I wanted was a halfway decent interior wrapped around a go-kart that will go fast around the track and still get me to and from work in style every day... And that's what I got.

Andi
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 10:22 PM
2002Z06Yellow
Z06 Master

if i were you i would not buy an 03.. cuz the 04 are out.. and the differnece in price is very minimal.. if yoru financing it anyways.. i suggest you get a commerative edition.. those rock :D

hassan
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 10:47 PM
Z06ified
Z06 Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Z06ified
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiembo
I've spoke to my friend Andi Baritchi, and he mentioned that the main difference between the 03 and 04 Z06 is the suspension. Other than that, are there any discernable changes between these model years?

The suspension differences are really isolated to the shocks. They're using better tuned Sachs shocks in the '04 Z06. The differences are subtle, but noticeable. Some people are already ordering and installing '04 shocks for their '03 and earlier Z06's. It's a pretty easy swap to make, and I wouldn't pass up a good deal on an '03 just to get an '04 with the new shocks. I'm not aware of any other changes, other than a new blue color (Le Mans) replacing the Electron Blue, and the availability of the Commemerative Edition Z16 option, which is largely cosmetic.

Quote:
Also, this will be the first time that I've purchased a domestic vehicle. In the past, I've steered away from them due to their relatively poor reliability.
People often confuse reliability with subjective quality. I define reliability as how often a car breaks down or fails to get me from Point A to Point B on time, or how often it needs to be repaired due to non-maintenance problems. The aircraft industry calls it "dispatch reliability". To this end, my Z06 has been perfectly reliable, and has experienced no significant mechanical problems, despite some very hard driving that would almost certainly break ordinary cars. I've owned the car for 19 months and 9,500 miles, so I can't comment on it's long term reliability, but all indications are that it will be good. I think your concern about the reliability of domestic cars is no longer founded. For example, my previous daily driver was a '96 Ford Contour SE V-6. In the 7 years and 130k miles I drove it, it NEVER failed me. Never broke down, never failed to start, always got me to my destination. 100% dispatch reliability. And I put that car through hell and back, doing things with it that it wasn't designed to do, on some of the worst roads and conditions in the country.

As for subjective quality - the Z06 is good, but not perfect. Same can be said for most cars on today's market, foreign or domestic. Its quality is very competitive, put it that way. It didn't win J.D. Power's Initial Quality Award for 2 years in a row by being cruddy. Some of the most common quality "issues" owners note are: inconsistent paint quality, inconsistent interior and exterior panel gaps, and sloppy weatherstripping. Usually minor, but imperfections nonetheless. Some cars are perfect and do not suffer any of these issues. Do any of these issues impact the reliability and durability of the car? Absolutely not.

You will probably find tighter interior panel gaps and slightly better alignment of body panels on a Toyota or Honda. If that's what you really look for when judging a car, and if that's what turns you on, then you're missing the point of the Z06. Sure, it would be nice if the Z06 had that kind of attention to detail and precision. But that, combined with the car's performance would almost certainly require a higher price tag. The Z06 offers supercar performance levels for $50k. Not only can no other performance car touch it for that price in the performance category, I would argue that no other performance car is more reliable, durable, and easier to maintain for its performance category at ANY price. And if all this means I may have a body panel that is 1mm off, then so be it - it doesn't bother me. Just my opinion of course.

For what its worth, I just bought my first imported car, an Infiniti G35 Coupe, to replace my last daily driver. In terms of overall quality, I would say the Z06 and G35 are very close. Both are very good, but not perfect.

Hope this helps.

'02 Z06 , Electron Blue, Vortex intake, Magnaflow X-pipe, Corsa Indy, Stainless Works LT headers, LS1 Edit, TB bypass, Hurst, MGW Gripper, Born 2/20/02 380 rwhp / 363 rwtq
'10 Cadillac CTS-V Thunder Grey, 6spd. manual, fully loaded.
Driver mod: Bondurant School of High Performance Driving Gran Prix Course graduate
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 01:32 AM
aldrichc5
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Get the 03 and change the shocks and have a ball.
0 % for 60 months and keep your money for mods. Also welcome to a great site to get all the info you need for a Z06. I believe you will be well satisfied.

aldrichc5
02 Z06, 04 Duramax
69 Camaro (project)
14 335 10 2SS/RS Camaro (wife's ride)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 02:43 AM
Rick1
Z06 Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick1
I have one 2003 Black/Black Z left. If you are interested give me a call and I will fill you in on it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 02:47 AM
Porsche Killer
Z06 Pilot

Buy an '03 or an '04 - my friends here have explained the differences - just buy one!

This is my first domestic sports car in 25 years. I took mine out Saturday morning for the first time in 3 weeks. As usual, it brought a huge smile to my face in minutes. This is an awesome car - the quality may not be what you are used to or what you desire - but, the "grin factor" is off the scale. I have had mine for over a year now - and whether on the track or the road - it just keeps making me smile. It is a beast. The suspension and drive train of this car makes it a blast.

Get one. And bring a smile to your face.

:D
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:37 AM
SLVRZ06
Z06 Addict

I had an 01Z for two years. The car was awesome. I traded it
for an 03Z two months ago. I couldn't be happier. As great as the 01 was the 03 is even better. You won't be sorry.

JS
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:48 AM
washguy
Z06 Addict

Ive had the imports....JUST go get a Z! Wash

tr...motorsport 18" on all 4's...bfg kd's
kirbin shifter.mgw pistol grip.lowered all the way. .160 thermostat.Vortex intake.euro tailights.euro head lights.3m paint protection.random high flow cats/xpipe.Tubi catback exhaust..Textralia oz700 clutch, DTE diff with 3.90's
and a lil bit of cubic inches
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Tiembo

Thanks for all the responses!

Andi and Z06ified - You're right in that I'm not looking to purchase a Z06 based on how its body panels mate up, but it's nice to hear feedback from those who have driven ones for awhile.

2002Z06Yellow - The big deciding factor (definitely the one that puts it over the top) for picking up a Z06 is the 0% financing offered on 2003 models. And now that others have chimed in saying that the suspension can be retrofitted with ease, I'm completely convinced that the 2003 would be the one to get.

Rick - I think I have my heart set on a MY with a solid Black interior. I went ahead and sent ya a PM though.

Quick question on the options - what are the exterior body-color moldings (B84) and the front license plate bracket (V49)? I couldn't find pictures of them on the Chevy site.

Also - anybody have a preferred dealership? I looked in the forums and found some dealers there...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Zippy
Z06 Master

Location: Mt Juliet, TN Z06 FEST PARTICIPANT I II III IV V VI & VII
Tiembo:

Glad to read your supporting the USA, and considering buying a Z06 Corvette!

I've owned 7 different Corvettes, and the last 4 have been bought new....a '99 convertible, a 2000 convertible, then a 2001 Z06, and now own an Electron Blue Z06. Each one of these have been trouble free (along with the previous 3 Vettes). It seems their is still a mis-conception about the quality & reliability of domestic vehicles.....Yes, in the past this may have been true, but the big 3 have increased their quality control tremendously in recent years. I sincerely feel you will be very happy with your Z06....good luck in your search, and if you want to save money you might consider buying a used Z06, especially one with the transferable factory warranty...36,000 miles or 3 years, which ever comes first. Have you seen my listing in the "for sale' topic?
I've reduced the price to $36,500 and honestly feel this is an excellent price for the car. Another aspect..insurance and taxes should be lower for you since it is a used car.

If you have any questions, or I can be of further assistance, please pm me.

Zippy

Zippy
2010 Blade Silver ZR1
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 09:53 AM
The_Dustman
Z06 Pilot

Send a message via AIM to The_Dustman
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses!

Quick question on the options - what are the exterior body-color moldings (B84) and the front license plate bracket (V49)? I couldn't find pictures of them on the Chevy site.

Also - anybody have a preferred dealership? I looked in the forums and found some dealers there...
The B84's Body Side moldings are the plastic part that runs mid door level. You can see a pic of them on my Black/Black C5 in my gallery. They are a $129 option, get them if you want some door ding protection.

My preferred dealer is Rick Daniel. :D You should be able to find a good local one to you though, hopefully someone in your area will point you to one.

Dustin
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Z06ified
Z06 Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Z06ified
Quote:
Here ya go - this picture may help:

'02 Z06 , Electron Blue, Vortex intake, Magnaflow X-pipe, Corsa Indy, Stainless Works LT headers, LS1 Edit, TB bypass, Hurst, MGW Gripper, Born 2/20/02 380 rwhp / 363 rwtq
'10 Cadillac CTS-V Thunder Grey, 6spd. manual, fully loaded.
Driver mod: Bondurant School of High Performance Driving Gran Prix Course graduate
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Jerry Velders
Z06 Authority

If you've driven one and looked at a few, you know what the car's about. Go for it. As to reliability, every car is different, and there IS a warranty. My car has been 100% trouble free.. it's never been to the dealer ('02, 16k+ miles) and I've certainly had no regrets about the purchase.

Jerry
'02 Z06, Mill. Yellow/Black, memory, mirrors,!CAGS, Chromies
'93 LT1 Coupe, Red/Tan, Auto
Ready to embrace the aging process, but I can't lift my arms.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 03:43 PM
c5discounts
Z06 Addict

Hey Tiem,

I know you said you wanted an '03 but I thought I would make you at least think twice and maybe get the '04 I have!!!

$7k off is a great deal!

Good luck whatever you do!

By the way, here is a link to more pictures of it!

CLICK HERE!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand