Tires - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
hlf2642

Tires

So I haven't visited the site for a while. Lost track of whats going on. Looks like its time for me to buy some new tires.
Any recommendations. There doesn't seem to be too many options out there. I have a 2002 Z06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:34 AM
MSiska

Re: Tires

What's your budget? Do you do any Friday At The Track (FATT) or drag racing? At the higher end is Michelin Pilot Sports. Lower end Firestone Firehawks. Have had both. Firehawks fine for driving around, a little drag racing. Will last a long time. Michelin's will wear faster, but have a lot more grip.

Z06Fest Addict: I II III IV V VI VIII IX X XI
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:57 PM
jub jub

Just got me some Nitto NT01's from Discount! Great tire for the money! Good grip at $1402 for the entire set. A bit noisy but that has never been a problem in a Vette. YMMV.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:21 PM
lilesv

Garage

I like the Firehawks. I put on too many miles (140K+ since I bought it in Dec 2003) to go with higher priced tires, and found I don't really need to.

Val__________

“Don’t know where we’re goin’
but there’s no sense bein’ late.”
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:52 PM
HArchH

I like the look of the stock Goodyear Eagle F1s. I tried the Michellin Pilot Sports from Costco but I thought the rounded edges looked bad. The Pilots also didnt wear nearly as well as the F1s. But I never burn the tires. I just go fast on the highway. 🇺🇸
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:41 PM
ericwilloughby

None of these 1st 3 tires will do anything but spin wildly in first gear and a little in second. Miles lasted is well into the cords, 3x10 inch cord showing upon removal.

Bridgestone RE11 13700 maybe the best buy.

Pirelli pzero corsa 6650 no traction. Wouldn't buy again

Toyo R888R 6300 too loud wouldn't buy again

Mickey Thompson ET Street I hate this tire. The rear end waves and wobbles around like I'm driving on flats even at 45 psi. But it will not spin. Rubber is like bubble gum. I don't expect them to last 3,000 miles if I have to keep them.

The Nitto NT01 has great traction but is loud. The NT05 has very good traction, the r555 drag radial would hold from a dig but wobbled around also.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:46 PM
HArchH

@Ericw : you only get 12k miles on a set of tires? You and I drive on different planets.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:46 PM
lilesv

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HArchH View Post
@Ericw : you only get 12k miles on a set of tires? You and I drive on different planets.

Val__________

“Don’t know where we’re goin’
but there’s no sense bein’ late.”
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:41 AM
ericwilloughby

I've only gotten that many once. Most sets get 6,000 miles and I take them WELL into the cord. That's rears only. Fronts are going 15-20k.
Funny thing is I've NEVER done a burnout or been to the track in the vette. That wear is on the way to and from work everyday.

I'd add pictures but all I can find is a url link, not an upload button.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:28 AM
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

I have 10,300 miles on my original Goodyear's. They have 4/32's of tread left on all 4. I don't drive the excessively hard, but I do keep my tire pressure at 32lbs. cold.
I run all my cars about 2lbs. heavier than the manufactures recommended pressure and have yet to have a tire wear out prematurely. I may sacrifice a bit on ride but the tires "feel" better.
I probably will put new skins on in the spring and have tried to do much research on replacements, so far to me the best alternative to the OEM tire in the Michelin 4S. These tires weigh the same as the run flat GY front and back at 28lbs. and 32lbs. respectively. They also seem to be one of the few tires that carry the (Y) speed rating. You can't get these in a 87 and 94 load rating like the OEM unless you get the Michelin pilot sport 2ZP. I in particular don't care to go back with a run flat so the 4S will probably be my choice.

13 Z06 Blk/Blk Halltech mf103 Corsa sport axle back exhaust custom tune by Team ZR1 533rwhp 463rwtq 48lb/hr injectors
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:09 AM
HArchH

I had to check my records. I found my Discount Tire receipts for my tires, and I compared the dates to my payment dates to Discount Tire in Quicken. So I'm sure my facts here are accurate.

As I said above, I have Goodyear Eagle F1's all around. I have 43K on my rears. I have 34K on my fronts. The rears are down past the wear bars and wouldn't pass inspection if California had inspections. I own a depth gauge, but don't really see the value in a more accurate measurement. The inner edges of the fronts are showing the fiberglass belts (threads, not metal). I am watching the closely for more wear as I want to get all the miles on them that I can. I have to admit that I don't pay that much attention to the inflation level. If they appear low, I put air in them to the number on the door label. (I own a small air pump so it takes a while to fill them up. )

It was December 2010 that I bought the rears at Discount Tire Online and had them installed at the local store. It was June 2012 that I bought the fronts at the store and had them installed.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 PM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

Look at the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2
or the other g-force models like at tirerack

Made for sports cars like the Corvette C5 for good traction and tire life

In any case no matter where you buy the tires is REQUIRE that the tires have the newest date codes on them or you will not except them as federal law looks tires having a maximum of 6 years old and possible to buy new ones that have date codes showing tire already being XX years old

Mike M - 2001 / 2008 Z06s

Last edited by racingvette; 07-12-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Grandstand