Attention - Password and Security Update - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Attention - Password and Security Update

Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

If you need Admin support please post here:
https://www.z06vette.com/forums/f47/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage
Re: Attention - Password and Security Update

This could get interesting. I don't exactly remember my current password because of auto complete. I assume you will send out a notice when we have to can change our password so we don't have to go through the forced change.

13 Z06 Blk/Blk Halltech mf103 Corsa sport axle back exhaust custom tune by Team ZR1 533rwhp 463rwtq 48lb/hr injectors
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:12 AM
chjw
Z06 Authority

I just changed mine yesterday when I read your email. Should I have waited for the forced change? Should I change back to the old one and wait for the forced change?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

When the email is sent out it will create a new secure password for you. If you like you can then edit it in your User cp to something that would be easier for you to remember. It is best to make your new password one with a mix of lower case, upper case, numbers, and special characters.

Danniella

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:34 PM
J-Rod
Z06 Authority

I am a member of several vertical scope websites. This was the only one that I have received a notification on., but all my others are locked out as well. On most of the sites, the option for "forgot password" is gone. I was able to reset my password on this site, but I went in to see if I could tie the account to an external source like Facebook or google, to centralize my passwords but could not. Is that option only open for new accounts?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 06:28 AM
TackDaBoat
Z06 Pilot

The little Progressive Insurance sponsored "anti-bot" thing is entirely useless. 100% useless after several tries and "5 attempt" log-outs. Cannot understand a thing that they say when they read off the authentication alphanumerics. Need to rethink how you are doing this. Not worth the revenue, whatever it may be.

2002 MY/Black, Lingenfelter balanced/blueprinted/forged 346 with intercooled Maggie, blower cam, long tubes, Borlas, other stuff...499 RWHP SOLD 10/16 AFTER 15 YEARS OWNED SINCE NEW
2015 GMC Denali HD 2500 Duramax/Allison Crew Cab
2015 MB ML 350 | 1985 Jeep CJ7
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
I was able to reset my password on this site, but I went in to see if I could tie the account to an external source like Facebook or google, to centralize my passwords but could not. Is that option only open for new accounts?
That seems to be the case. Would you be interested in connected your FB to this account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackDaBoat View Post
The little Progressive Insurance sponsored "anti-bot" thing is entirely useless. 100% useless after several tries and "5 attempt" log-outs. Cannot understand a thing that they say when they read off the authentication alphanumerics. Need to rethink how you are doing this. Not worth the revenue, whatever it may be.
We appreciate the feedback. We will look into other methods once we have sorted out alll this mess.

Were you able to sort this out?

Richard.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 02:19 PM
TackDaBoat
Z06 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Were you able to sort this out?
I am not sure I understand your question, but....

1) I got in because I sorted through e-mails on a very-little-used e-mail account to get my re-registration and password instructions via a link. I reset my password that way.

2) Prior to (1) above, I attempted to use that talking e-bot thing that sounds like it is a robot talking to you through a megaphone with dead batteries and stuffed with seaweed....several times. Not once was I successful.

So....yes, I got in here finally....but it was not due to the "help" that required authentication.

FYI, the "contact an admin" process on the front of the site also requires this horrible authentication process.

FYI, I have been an admin on a military special operations veterans site for over ten years, and my members there would hunt me down and castrate me if I put them through that process!

2002 MY/Black, Lingenfelter balanced/blueprinted/forged 346 with intercooled Maggie, blower cam, long tubes, Borlas, other stuff...499 RWHP SOLD 10/16 AFTER 15 YEARS OWNED SINCE NEW
2015 GMC Denali HD 2500 Duramax/Allison Crew Cab
2015 MB ML 350 | 1985 Jeep CJ7
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

hey all,

If you are unable to get your password resets properly sorted out due to old emails on your account still after the notice was sent out, we ask that you go down to the contact us area, and with the subject line of "password reset" add the following contents for me:

- Account Name
- Email On the account
- Email You need it changed to if need be

add all this, then hit send, and someone on our team will answer that email and fix your account up no problem.

You can do the same and send us a PM privately to have it manually changed, but due to the influx and us tackling a lot of issues, this would be a slower way of getting it reset. we recommend you use the contact us form to get it resolved if you can. If that does fail though and you have waited too long, send us a PM and we will Manually reset it. Just make sure you supply the information above for a quicker fix.

Also, If you do have the right email on your account, I would ask you to please check your spam/junk folders as sometimes with certain email providers, it tends to land in there.

Again, I personally apologize about the wait. We are tackling the password transition as quickly as we can. if you all need anything else, please let me know.

~Shane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Community Help Section > Community Help