Adding ZR-1 style front splitter - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage
Adding ZR-1 style front splitter

I have been wanting to add to my standard Z the ZR-1 style carbon front splitter. However because my car diddn't come with the required reinforcement bar, I have to either add the factory bar, or go after market. If I go the factory route I need to remove the front bumper cover which I really don't want to do. I just see to many things going wrong in that process. Scratches, not fitting right etc. The after market is an option but I have not been able to find one the looks like the factory unit or can withstand speeds in excess of 140 mph. The factory assembled parts are retail ~$2,400.00 not including labor which I don't think I have the skill to do this myself. If any of you out there have found a good solution to this want of mine please let me know.

13 Z06 Blk/Blk Halltech mf103 Corsa sport axle back exhaust custom tune by Team ZR1 533rwhp 463rwtq 48lb/hr injectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:11 AM
CTYANK2

Re: Adding ZR-1 style front splitter

First, if you are not going to be driving over 100mph you don't need the factory support behind the bumper. I drove my 2006 Z for almost 6 years with an aftermarket front splitter. I had a few track days and short bursts up to 130 with no support behind the bumper. No issues.

For my 2011 Z I did have the front bumper support installed by a local Corvette shop for a couple of hundred dollars. The install of the front splitter is easy to do yourself.

In my opinion there isn't any material difference between aftermarket ZR1 splitters and the factory one.

I would not waste your money on a carbon fiber front splitter. I've damaged a few splitters over the years from various highway junk, steep driveways, curbs, etc. Unless you just drive to car shows you will probably get some damage. The composite splitters are easy to fix and cheap to replace. I recommend flat black paint which is very forgiving and easy to repaint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170418_182444.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	12763   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161204_093611.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	12765  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:08 AM
NavyDavy

I have a front splitter on my factory ride height 04 Z06. It scrapes sometimes but no real damage yet.

This splitter does NOT cause any overheating.

After a lot of reseasrch and sending one back from Carbon Creations I bought this one and am very happy with it. Next winter I am going to get it painted to match the Lemans blue.
https://www.c7carbon.com/c5-corvette...SABEgKRrvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53846780_2277070709177693_8249049398563045376_o (1).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	12771  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:29 PM
vonzvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDavy View Post
I have a front splitter on my factory ride height 04 Z06. It scrapes sometimes but no real damage yet.

This splitter does NOT cause any overheating.

After a lot of reseasrch and sending one back from Carbon Creations I bought this one and am very happy with it. Next winter I am going to get it painted to match the Lemans blue.
https://www.c7carbon.com/c5-corvette...SABEgKRrvD_BwE
I have one ( Carbon Fiber ) no problem, just does not take inpact from foreign objects at all. Great look, but why in the hell would one want to paint over carbon fiber? Your money lol.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 PM
CTYANK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzvette View Post
I have one ( Carbon Fiber ) no problem, just does not take inpact from foreign objects at all. Great look, but why in the hell would one want to paint over carbon fiber? Your money lol.

No sense in buying a carbon fiber front splitter and painting it.
If you drive the Corvette the way it was meant to be driven it is likely your front splitter will at the very least get chips and possibly more.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:55 AM
NavyDavy

It's just a carbon fiber wrap over fiberglass. Not actual carbon fiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzvette View Post
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:55 AM
NavyDavy

It's just a carbon fiber wrap over fiberglass. Not actual carbon fiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYANK2 View Post
No sense in buying a carbon fiber front splitter and painting it.
If you drive the Corvette the way it was meant to be driven it is likely your front splitter will at the very least get chips and possibly more.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM
mopa9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYANK2 View Post
First, if you are not going to be driving over 100mph you don't need the factory support behind the bumper. I drove my 2006 Z for almost 6 years with an aftermarket front splitter. I had a few track days and short bursts up to 130 with no support behind the bumper. No issues.

For my 2011 Z I did have the front bumper support installed by a local Corvette shop for a couple of hundred dollars. The install of the front splitter is easy to do yourself.

In my opinion there isn't any material difference between aftermarket ZR1 splitters and the factory one.

I would not waste your money on a carbon fiber front splitter. I've damaged a few splitters over the years from various highway junk, steep driveways, curbs, etc. Unless you just drive to car shows you will probably get some damage. The composite splitters are easy to fix and cheap to replace. I recommend flat black paint which is very forgiving and easy to repaint.
The after market is an option but I have not been able to find one the looks like the factory unit or can withstand speeds in excess of 140 mph. The factory assembled parts are retail ~$2,400.00 not including labor which I don't think I have the skill to do this myself. If any of you out there have found a good solution to this want of mine please let me know.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 AM
CTYANK2

If you consider something other than carbon fiber check out ACS. Zip products and some other vendors offer C6 aero pieces manufactured by ACS (and they will hold up at speed).

https://acscomposite.com/

This is from their website.

Advanced Composite Specialties (ACS Composite) is an OEM validated composite manufacturer that specializes in RTM (Resin Transfer Molding). ACS assists its customers in product development, design, engineering, manufacturing, tooling and fabrication. We offer low to high volume composite manufacturing coupled with robotic trimming and bonding, as well as finishing and priming services.

Every ACS product, whether manufactured for the OEM's or for the aftermarket is engineered and validated to meet the stingiest performance and quality standards. With it's in-house design, tooling and manufacturing capabilities ACS is the leader in the performance aero segment.

With nearly 250,000 composite components built for various OEM automotive customers, ACS excels in a market where high quality meets competitive costing; therefore, allowing ACS to apply this knowledge to new applications where composite properties are favourable for achieving light weight, aero efficient durable components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road