New member, new Z owner, new questions - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
rainman750

New member, new Z owner, new questions

What's up everyone, I recently bought an 03 Procharged Z06(580 rwhp) the end of this past October. I found it online on corvetteforum while deployed to Iraq, got home, flew up to Minnesota and drove it home to NC. I've wanted a Vette since before I could ride a bicycle so it is a dream come true for me. I have put 12,000 miles on it since I bought it (less than 6 months!!) so I am definately doing with it what was meant to be done with it, driving it! It already has more than enough power for me(for now anyways) but other than a short throw shifter and a Tex. clucth the drivetrain is stock. I am planning on going to the track this summer and am scared to death of breaking something as it is my only car. I've done a LOT of research on this and other boards and the amount of info is overwhelming. I plan on getting some drag radials and a dte strut brace is the first mod on my list and maybe the hardened left output shaft. Where is the cheapest place to get the brace? The output shaft seems to be a bit more than my mechanical skills will allow me to do myself; what would a shop typically charge to change that out for me? Is there anything else I should do before hitting the strip again? I went to Rockingham one time and babied it out of the hole and had to short shift to keep from spinning, even going into 4th gear tire spin/wheel hop was a problem. Best time was an 11.8 at 129mph with like 2.1 60' time so there is definately a lot left. I'm not real happy with the clutch, it sends shudders through the whole car on even the mildest of takeoffs and wheel hop is my biggest concern. Anybody else have these issues with this clutch? It's the 0700 Textralia(I'm sure I spelled that wrong, it's been a long day). Sorry this got so long and thanks in advance for any help/ideas on what to do next to at least extend the life of my drivetrain. I have a hundred more questions but I'll save those for another day. Rain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:36 PM
MikesZ06
Administrator

Re: New member, new Z owner, new questions

Wow, a lot of questions in that post :eek2:

I'll try to hit a couple of them..

First of all, Congrats on the Z

If you are going to spend a lot of time at the drags then it would appear you've already absorbed some pretty good info.

Some quality DR's, a hardened ouput shaft and a DTE tranny/diff brace are eecellent mods for the drags.

You can get the brace directly from DTE and the hardened halfshaft can be purchased at a number of vendors (Lingenfelter, 21CMC, ECS, etc). Pricing is pretty close at all these places.

Since you are running close to 600rwhp, then practicing your launches and shift techniques is the next 'mod' that will improve your times the most. You will find (with practice) the most comfortable rpms and clutch release for your own style.

The only other mod you might consider if you're going to the strip a lot would be a shift light. It's not mandatory but it can help improve your shift points while allowing you to concentrate more on the track. I use a Raptor but there are other quality shift lights available. Mine is mounted on the A pillar above the boost and fuel pressure gauges so that the light it is in my peripheral vison but not an interference.

I'm sure others will chime in with a few suggestions.

Mike

ps, one last tip that many people overlook is to check your tire pressure between passes. If you have lowered your tire pressure to, let's say 16 lbs, after a pass is made if you check it again it will probably show 18 or 19lbs. The heat from the track automatically reinflates the tire. I have to take air out of my rear tires after every pass to keep it where I want it....

2002 Procharged (F1-C) 427LSX 821rwhp/751rwtq
9.87 at 141mph & 2007 Black C6 Z06
Vette Magazine article
1/4 mile pass
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 PM
ZO6 AL-X
Z06 Master

Congrats on the car. Welcome aboard.

Recent: 2003 Z06 BLK/BLK/BLK - GHL Exhaust | Zip-Tie Intake | NGK TR 55s | Nitto 555 RIIs. My BPP Shifter Broke In Two!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:58 AM
SGTZ06

Well Mike already gave you the info and I must say to happy with that clutch. There's a lot of F Body's running them up here in MN and they are one of the best clutches on the market in my opinion. Hey I'm actually moving to North Carolina and plan on transfering units somewhere near mooresville?? Anything good around there? I'm gonna go to NTI and have an apartment reserved on Lake Norman.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 AM
DennyM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Just wanted to add my thanks for your military service; welcome to

^VIR Turn 6 '10^-MungoZ06-'03 QS/ModRed - NCCC, NASA NCM Member - Z06 Fest IV,V,VI,VII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road