Starting STS project but need advice! - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Statechamp20

Starting STS project but need advice!

I have a 2002 Z06 and I plan on building up a motor and adding a STS TT kit. This is what I have in mind so far:

408 Cast Iron Block.....

Can anyone give me some advise on internals, heads, cam, etc I should all run? I plan on pushing 5-8lbs of boost daily and 12.5 to maybe even 15 on race days. I plan on purchasing the upgraded and larger turbos from STS but i'm not sure how big I should go because I don't want to lag forever and wait for the boost to come on. What do you all think?

I plan on having Antivenom build my engine but I have no way of getting ahold of them because their number is not working?...

2002 Electron Blue Z06
Cartek 2x heads & cam, Spec 3 clutch, Kooks LT's, Kooks Xpipe, Corsa catback, Vararam, Short Throw Shifter, 555r 335, front/rear sway bars, AIR*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Want a ZO6
Z06 Addict

Send a message via AIM to Want a ZO6
Talk to your engine builder about what forged componets you want for your motor (pistons, rods) and the compression ratio that would suit your needs.

If you plan on going 800rwhp you will need the upgraded turbos and a fuel system. I know ECS (east coast supercharging has a good high HP fuel system) A boost controller will let you change the boost settings - i.e. street tune at 9psi and race tune at 16psi. Talk to a vendor and see what size turbos and what boost controller works best for your needs. They could help you out on Cam choice as well. They have specific grinds for turbo motors.

I know there are a few members who are doing a built 400+ci motor and the STS kit so maybe they can fill you in on more details.

Good luck with your project! Sounds like a fun one. Especially 15psi on a 408

"One nation under God"

Last edited by Want a ZO6; 06-16-2006 at 12:01 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:24 AM
mjustmike
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Location: Edgewater, MD Z06 Fests 2,3,4,5,6,7 Ocean & WinterFests 1, 2, 3 & 4
Send a message via AIM to mjustmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statechamp20
I have a 2002 Z06 and I plan on building up a motor and adding a STS TT kit. This is what I have in mind so far:

408 Cast Iron Block.....

Can anyone give me some advise on internals, heads, cam, etc I should all run? I plan on pushing 5-8lbs of boost daily and 12.5 to maybe even 15 on race days. I plan on purchasing the upgraded and larger turbos from STS but i'm not sure how big I should go because I don't want to lag forever and wait for the boost to come on. What do you all think?

I plan on having Antivenom build my engine but I have no way of getting ahold of them because their number is not working?...
Shoot a PM over to FRC Tom, he has pretty much the same setup you're looking into. And he tunes for Greg.
PM me if you like, I have both of their cell numbers and will get you set up.

'02 eb Z, gone.....but not forgotten. Onto the '70 RS 'maro, slight rebuild project.
NCM # 23306 Fest Member 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Ocean & WinterFests 1, 2, 3, & 4

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 10:01 AM
TT Z06
Z06 Pilot

STS may have some good insight for you too. They obviously have direct knowledge of the cars their kits have gone on. May be a good idea to keep them in the loop during your planning stages. They were Extremely helpful with me and my friends kit designs.

850HP MTI STS 402 Twin Turbo Z06
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 09:43 PM
undertaker
Z06 Authority

um.......why the 408......I'm pretty sure a forged 346 will make more power than you'll ever be able to connect to the ground also you can get away with those 2x heads vs. going bigger........thats the route I got talked down to from ECS I wanted a stroker myself and chris said there's no need, stay 346, it'll turn into wasted, useless torque (read as wheelspin under 100 mph) otherwise....my car should be goin on the dyno this week with the sts twins turned up a bit more than 6 psi it was at before if you want something to replicate...

besides teh damn iron block throws the balance of the car off and adds too much weight...the beauty of our cars is the light weight...remember you're adding in a rollbar to see the track as well....between the iron block an roll bar that just added 250 lbs

STS twins.....chicks have 553/489 reasons ta dig em

okay well that was the first stage, at least the one I'll talk about..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 02:35 AM
skinnies

Send a message via AIM to skinnies
I'm agree with undertaker, keep the 346 for a street car.

Undertaker, what all does your setup consist of?

1998 z28 --pulling 17's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Pit Road