Help with AUTO TAP readings - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
22655TD
Z06 Senior Member

Help with AUTO TAP readings

I have got some AUTO TAP readings off my car and I need some help understanding them. I know the AFR readings aren't as good as the wide band readings. Can anybody look at the
readings and give advice. My mods are as listed in sig

Most of the time the AFR was at 14.7 average while crusing
BUT these are readingswere taken at WOT (wide open throttle)

RPM 6587
LIFT B1 3.13
LIFT B2 3.91
STFT B1 -3.91
STFT B2 -2.39
IAT 71.6
Outside air temp 66
MAF 40.9
NO KNOCK

Should I be checking using a differant method with Auto Tap??
I plan to get a dyno tune in May
I have my own copy of Edit
Also I have EFILive Pro that can temporary change lifts while Auto tap is connected only

Thanks for any input Guys!!

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, WHOOBANG,WHOOBANG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 12:05 AM
ava8r
Z06 Addict

Need more info than what you have posted to get a picture as how the car is runing.

You said these #s are WOT. Did you verify that these LTFT...and other #s are with fuel Cell 22 indicating?

Cell 22 (fuel cells can be monitored by your Auto tap) is your WOT and assuming that your LTFTs are positive as you indicated, would mean that your other cells are correcting for about a 3% lean condition (positive trims mean more fuel added to correct lean condition). This would make your WOT trim to also move to a positive # and make your WOT a bit richer.

However, you also show your STFTs are pushing about the same # except in the other direction (negative). So I don't think this data is from your WOT, since STFTs remain at 0 during WOT.

What this data show, is that during the drive/load that the data comes from, the STFTs were trying to adjust your LTFTs to be near 0. Which is a good thing. This happens all the time and normal.

The RPM is way up there, indicating WOT, but it is possible that the throttle was just lifted at that point and the car had come out of fuel cell 22. You should make sure that this bit of data is from cell 22. If you don't have fuel cell data, then look at your throttle posision angle, which I hope you recorded also. In short, you should at least be checking the following with autotap:

Air Fuel Ratio (this is what the program ask the computer to achive, not what the actual mixture is)
Engine Coolant temp.
Engine Speed
Fuel Trim Cell
Ignition Timing Advance
Intake Air Temp
Knock Retard
LTFTB1
LTFTB2
STFTB1
STFTB1
Injector Pulse Width Average B1
Injector Pulse Width Average B2
MAP
Mass Air Flow Rate
Mass Air Flow Raw Input Frequency
O2 Sensor B1S1 (mV)
O2 Sensor B2S1 (mV)
Throttle Position Angle
Total Misfire Current Count
Vehicle Speed

Once you have the above data. There are number of Forum members who can help you with what is the direction to go, before your dyno day (to set everthing else up well before your dyno run). You need data from normal driving condition in freeway speeds and various loads to get a good idea what your fuel trims are doing with different fuel cells, followed by some good old WOT/100% load #s and red line it in every gear (maybe not in 5th if not possible due to road limitaions). You dump all that data in a spread sheet program of your choice and analyze, analyze, analyze some more.....then adjust and verify. You get the picture.

Finaly once on Dyno, you will be only tuning the PE circuit which is only for the WOT conditions and best tuned on the dyno, with all your other fuel trims adjusted based on your previous above data to be near 0.

Sorry no easy answer when it comes to tuning. But I hope the above is a start for you.

03 Z06 Sold, Had to have another one.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
22655TD
Z06 Senior Member

You are correct, The readings were averages. The STFT do go to O
during WOT. I will set up Auto Tap with those scans. I am still trying to learn how to set up fuel cell maps. I have just install this mods and I can see that the PCM is trying to to do a relearn.
Sometimes the STFTs go as high as 16 (live time) and then I can see that the LIFTs change and then the STFTs come down a bit.
I think I read somewhere that the LIFTs try to adjust to keep the
STFTs between -9 and +9 and if they go over that, the LIFTs adjust to keep them in range. Thanks for responding.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 09:46 AM
ava8r
Z06 Addict

Tom,

for best results, adjust your fuel trims to be as close to 0 (or little on the negative side) as possible via injector flow rate or MAF table adjustment.

If you see a big variation in your fuel trims 0 through 15 and 18 (idle, Air con on), 19 (Idle) and 20 (cold start idle) from a perfect 0 and to the positive side (correcting for lean condition) then you might need to go to bigger injectors to make it feasible for additional fuel trim adjustments (SVO #30 works well).

Basically, your WOT trim only learns from other fuel trims and Only if they indicate a lean condition (positive trims). (read this line twice).

The PE vs RPM table of your LS1_Edit is the place were you adjust your fuel/air ratio before each of your dyno runs. If your trims have not settled before your dyno tune, your dyno results may change later.

So your WOT (dyno tune) will change, if your car is on the lean side and your trims need to correct for a lean condition (pushing LTFTs to positive).

You may have already known most of the above, buy what the hey. Happy tuning and hope you get it perfect.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
22655TD
Z06 Senior Member

Thanks, Yes that makes sense. I agree that the trims have to settle down prior to dyno tune. I think that is what they are
trying to do as they are slowly being adjusted to a closer spread. The part about the WOT trims only learn if it is lean would explain why if you are running rich because of mods, that you need edit to adjust as the PCM never corrects for rich. Right? Thanks.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 10:49 AM
ava8r
Z06 Addict

Correct. The WOT trims will go rich after most mods causing too rich a mixture in most cases.

Happy tuning.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
22655TD
Z06 Senior Member

Thanks, I see that you fly, I have a pressurized Baron.
What are you flying?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 12:14 PM
ava8r
Z06 Addict

I can only rent a plane like yours Can't justify the cost.

I own a Cessna 170B taildragger to chase the cows and have relatively short trips with the family.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
22655TD
Z06 Senior Member

I got many hours in a 170. Floor board had holes thru it. I flew it about 2000 hrs in Costa Rica were they don't check things like that.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:57 PM
ava8r
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 22655TD
I got many hours in a 170. Floor board had holes thru it. I flew it about 2000 hrs in Costa Rica were they don't check things like that.
Too funny I guess it would have made a good photo plane. That's a lot of hrs in a 170. I wanted a low maintenance tail dragger. The 170B was the ideal choice. I have about 1200hrs total with ~600 in the 170.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C5 Z06 Specific Topics > C5 Z06 - Tuning & Electronics