2006 C6 Z06 - traction control not working? - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
rcgldr

2006 C6 Z06 - traction control not working?

I have a 2006 C6 Z06. When I first got the car, I wasn't getting tire spin with the OEM goodyear tires, but as they aged, I did start getting tire spin. I switched to PS/2's, then switched to Nitto NT05s. The first set of NT05's would hold in first gear, but after 3 years they aged and weren't holding. Last week, after getting tire spin in 2nd gear at 50 mph, I bought another set of NT05's. I don't drive much since I'm retired, and my last job was a short commute, and I also used a motorcycle for commuting. I have just under 18,000 miles on the car.

I was aware that the mold release on motorcycle tires required a break in period to "scuff" off the mold release (this also means gradually increasing lean angle during break in to scuff the mold release off the sides of the tires, not an issue for cars). I didn't think this was an issue for car tires.

However, I've since read that that some (most or all?) car tires also use mold release, so that could explain why the tires still spin, but it seems that traction control should be able to deal with this.

If I start at about 25 mph and roll on the the throttle, the tires breaks loose after a bit, getting up to about 50 mph, until the car reaches about 50 mph, so the TCS is keeping the engine off the rev limiter. Fortunately the car tracks straight under these circumstances.

Last edited by rcgldr; 07-24-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:03 PM
jub jub

Re: 2006 C6 Z06 - traction control not working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgldr View Post
I have a 2006 C6 Z06. When I first got the car, I wasn't getting tire spin with the OEM goodyear tires, but as they aged, I did start getting tire spin. I switched to PS/2's, then switched to Nitto NT05s. The first set of NT05's would hold in first gear, but after 3 years they aged and weren't holding. Last week, after getting tire spin in 2nd gear at 50 mph, I bought another set of NT05's. I don't drive much since I'm retired, and my last job was a short commute, and I also used a motorcycle for commuting. I have just under 18,000 miles on the car.

I was aware that the mold release on motorcycle tires required a break in period to "scuff" off the mold release (this also means gradually increasing lean angle during break in to scuff the mold release off the sides of the tires, not an issue for cars). I didn't think this was an issue for car tires.

However, I've since read that that some (most or all?) car tires also use mold release, so that could explain why the tires still spin, but it seems that traction control should be able to deal with this.

If I start at about 25 mph and roll on the the throttle, the tires breaks loose after a bit, getting up to about 50 mph, until the car reaches about 50 mph, so the TCS is keeping the engine off the rev limiter. Fortunately the car tracks straight under these circumstances.
I have an 08 with the original tires. I can blow them in 1st through 3rd with no problem. Never does TC kick in. Same on my 14 Ram R/T. I think it's a gimmick. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand