Reliability - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Bsauvola

Reliability

Iím interested in a 2006 z06 with 47,000 miles. Its cammed, has heads, intakes manifold, long tube headers, I would be driving everyday half of the year because of weather. If I put 8,000 miles a year with quite a bit of spirited driving, should I expect any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:27 AM
MSiska

Re: Reliability

Don't know where you live, but I would take it to a Vette specialty shop with a good mechanic to check it out. With that much in power add-ons, I would take the serial number to a dealer to see if any work or recalls have been done. The first time at the drag strip with my 2006, I revved it to 3500 and feathered the clutch out and gave it full gas. The right rear axle broke immediately after two bounces. This was an issue because my 06 Zo6 wasn't the only one with this issue. Chevy redesigned the right rear axle for the 2007's.

Good luck.

Z06Fest Addict: I II III IV V VI VIII IX X XI
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:32 PM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

With the mods you have you will need to find out before buying if it will pass the smog tests for your area
the Long tube headers alone are smog illegal and worse many times lousy shops who install the headers con
owners to remove the CATs and rear O2 sensors

You can bet that the PCM calibration was tuned and it could be a good or bad one

You also would need to see if there is any error codes showing or hidden at the least if smog station does OBD-II and
finds error codes or the on-board smog tests failing you will have a hard time getting it passed and problems
getting stat license plates for it

Also find out if the smog tests in your area require a I/M 240 testing, they use like a chassis dyno and test at speeds of 15 and 25 MPH and measure what the exhaust makeup is and if mods were not done correctly those test will fail
and car would be labeled a Gross Polluter
Some states allow for a Pre-test Smog test and if so you pay them for that and if car fails the results do not get entered as to the VIN # and failed results.

So in short ask the questions of above before putting a penny down for sale

Mike M - 2001 / 2008 Z06s

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Bsauvola

I live in New Hampshire and I know a buddy with a Chevy ss and he as a full exhaust and he passed his smog test. So Iím not too worried about that. However is that axle issue recalled? Or do you have to get it fixed yourself?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:18 PM
jub jub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsauvola View Post
I live in New Hampshire and I know a buddy with a Chevy ss and he as a full exhaust and he passed his smog test. So I’m not too worried about that. However is that axle issue recalled? Or do you have to get it fixed yourself?

If it breaks, it's on your dime!

Invest in upgraded half shafts if you plan to take it to the track.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:52 PM
ericwilloughby

I couldn't understand why anyone would like the base model over the good looks of the c6z06 until I drove one. I daily drive my c6 and the z06 was hard to see over the fenders, a lot of road noise, stiff ride, and as for issues I hope you're aware that the ls7 is notorious for dropping exhaust valves and destroying the entire engine at about 35-40k miles. Make sure that when the upgrades were done it got stainless exhaust vales and new guides.

Also, you can expect to break an axle in any car you attempt to force through a wheel hop situation. It's not a "flaw" in the vehicle. It happens.....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:51 AM
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

I must disagree with your statement about the LS7 and the Z fenders.

The Z06/ZR1 fenders are the same as the standard Corvette's fenders on the tops. They do differ on the side vents, however that should have no bearing on the drivers ability to see over the tops on them.

As for ride stiffness and road noise I will concede that to you, however if I wanted a quite car that ride good go buy a Buick. To me sports cars need to be a little noisy and rough around the edges, that's why we buy them.

Your statement about the LS7 being "notorious" for dropping exhaust valves is pretty much nonexistent with stock valve train components. The vale problem comes from installing cams that have a greater than .600 inch valve lift. (google Gwatney Performace LS7). I also might add that you recommendation to just add stainless steel valves, which weigh more than the factory titanium valves is a definite recipe for disaster. (google Super Chevy Katech LS7 valve train article).

13 Z06 Blk/Blk Halltech mf103 Corsa sport axle back exhaust custom tune by Team ZR1 533rwhp 463rwtq 48lb/hr injectors
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:08 AM
CTYANK2

Like others said have the car thoroughly checked out by a knowledgeable Corvette shop.

Also, FYI you may not find a cammed Z with headers,etc very friendly for a daily driver.
They are fun to drive for sure but not necessarily every day.
Also summer tires MAY have poor grip in wet conditions.
Talk to others with similar rides about using it as a daily driver.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:40 PM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

The problems with used C6 Z06s that have been hacked on,
from using a C5 CAM, boring the cylinder sleeve, using cheap 3rd party parts like lifters, rods, rockers, etc

Header flanges that have a different shape for the exhaust ports causing slight exhaust leaks which degrade how engine functions
Lousy tunes (worse if junk chassis dyno tune) cranking in way too much timing and not increasing the size of fuel injectors

Just because one guy's vehicle did not see the headers does not mean the same results for others
and if the Z06 tune is lousy can be a costly fix to make it smog legal

Mike M - 2001 / 2008 Z06s
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:04 AM
ericwilloughby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I must disagree with your statement about the LS7 and the Z fenders.

The Z06/ZR1 fenders are the same as the standard Corvette's fenders on the tops. They do differ on the side vents, however that should have no bearing on the drivers ability to see over the tops on them.

As for ride stiffness and road noise I will concede that to you, however if I wanted a quite car that ride good go buy a Buick. To me sports cars need to be a little noisy and rough around the edges, that's why we buy them.

Your statement about the LS7 being "notorious" for dropping exhaust valves is pretty much nonexistent with stock valve train components. The vale problem comes from installing cams that have a greater than .600 inch valve lift. (google Gwatney Performace LS7). I also might add that you recommendation to just add stainless steel valves, which weigh more than the factory titanium valves is a definite recipe for disaster. (google Super Chevy Katech LS7 valve train article).
Ls7 exhaust valves, the ones that drop, are NOT titanium. Only the intake.
And bone stock Ls7 start dropping them about 35-40k miles.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:46 AM
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

I stand corrected about the exhaust valve not being titanium, however I don't know where your statement that stock LS7's start dropping exhaust valves at 35-40K miles is proven with any documentation other some other folks have posted on other forums.

Just because you read it in the internet doesn't make it reliable.

As for solid stainless steel exhaust vales that typically weight up to 33% more than the stock 74 gram exhaust valve yes the y do cause stability problems in the valve train. I would recommend you read the article in Super Chevy about a test Katech did on the LS7 valve train.

To no one's surprise at Katech, changing to solid-stem stainless valves proved to have a negative effect on the LS7's valvetrain stability. Interestingly, while the test was focused primarily on the exhaust valve, the effect on the intake valve was also noteworthy.

13 Z06 Blk/Blk Halltech mf103 Corsa sport axle back exhaust custom tune by Team ZR1 533rwhp 463rwtq 48lb/hr injectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Grandstand