Braking Mystery - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
constren
Z06 Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Englewood, Fl
Posts: 449
Braking Mystery

Wondering if anyone is aware of a slight vibration/pulsation in the front of the car when braking normally. It happens when slowing down between for the short period between about 14 mph and 12. I saw someone else mention the same symptom but have heard no technical reason. Wheel lugs are tight and it doesn't seem to be an anti-lock brake issue.

427/505
constren is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Tony Skarbic
Z06 Authority
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Redding, Calif.
Posts: 1,939
How many miles on the brakes? Could be the rotors need turning and new pads.

Tony
TZ06
Tony Skarbic is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:18 PM
355Spider
Z06 Pilot
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 864
Normally that means your rotors need turing or they are warped. Did you break them in properly?

355Spider is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
constren
Z06 Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Englewood, Fl
Posts: 449
Its not a rotor vibration. Been through enough of those. 600 miles on the car. I know someone else had a similar problem and just think it's something else.

427/505
constren is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Andi
Z06 Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by constren
Wondering if anyone is aware of a slight vibration/pulsation in the front of the car when braking normally. It happens when slowing down between for the short period between about 14 mph and 12. I saw someone else mention the same symptom but have heard no technical reason. Wheel lugs are tight and it doesn't seem to be an anti-lock brake issue.
Mine's done it since day one. Initially the pedal was very soft before break-in. After some hard driving the pedal became firm. Now with 4,000 miles on the car it still does it, yet the rotors aren't warped or cracked or anything. Yet there's still that hint of slight vibration at that exact speed you mention -- and ONLY at that speed. And NEVER at any other speed, even braking at 140+MPH. I just got used to it as a quirk of the car.

Andi
Andi is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
constren
Z06 Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Englewood, Fl
Posts: 449
I'm thinking this may be a problem others have after reading on another forum it affected someone else. Just wondering how many have it and what the hell it is. It's so subtle that I wonder if others have it and just haven't noticed. Don't want to bring it to the dealer but hoping someone has and can disclose what it was just to determine if it requires attention.

427/505
constren is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 AM
allanlaw
Z06 Addict
 
allanlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 351
What if the car is just rolling (no brakes, no gas) at that speed?
allanlaw is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Andi
Z06 Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanlaw
What if the car is just rolling (no brakes, no gas) at that speed?
It's only a braking vibration and it is felt through the pedal. It almost feels like a very slight ABS pulsation or something. At exactly the MPH's he mentioned. Every time. Maybe a resonance between the padlets and the holes in the rotors or something, who knows.....
Andi is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Andi
Z06 Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by constren
I'm thinking this may be a problem others have after reading on another forum it affected someone else. Just wondering how many have it and what the hell it is. It's so subtle that I wonder if others have it and just haven't noticed. Don't want to bring it to the dealer but hoping someone has and can disclose what it was just to determine if it requires attention.
I might be that someone else, btw....

posted last month.....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...p?p=1554368681
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...p?p=1554379879
Andi is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:16 PM
RFC2
Z06 Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas Tx.
Posts: 203
Mine did it for about 100 miles then stopped. I thought it was because I tracked it early and then the brakes finally bedded. Everything fine now. You might want toi give it awhile.
RFC2 is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
constren
Z06 Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Englewood, Fl
Posts: 449
Well thanks for the response. I guess it's not that common based on the post activity.

427/505
constren is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
constren
Z06 Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Englewood, Fl
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC2
Mine did it for about 100 miles then stopped. I thought it was because I tracked it early and then the brakes finally bedded. Everything fine now. You might want toi give it awhile.

Got 600+ miles on it. Maybe needs a bit more punishment!:pp:

427/505
constren is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:16 PM
allanlaw
Z06 Addict
 
allanlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi
It's only a braking vibration and it is felt through the pedal. It almost feels like a very slight ABS pulsation or something. At exactly the MPH's he mentioned. Every time. Maybe a resonance between the padlets and the holes in the rotors or something, who knows.....
Maybe the padlets and the pins that hold them are doing something naughty at that precise point - strange, like my possessed air conditioner controls . . .
allanlaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hunting Steering While Braking FOXBAT C5 Z06 - Pit Road 5 05-22-2006 06:05 PM
Braking question constren C6 Z06 - Pit Road 3 04-02-2006 07:07 AM
What is trail braking? Young_Jedi Racing 42 07-05-2004 08:51 PM
Z vs '03 Viper braking? BAD 06 C5 Z06 - Grandstand 6 03-23-2003 10:29 PM
Braking shimmy? ITSAZ06 C5 Z06 - Pit Road 4 03-27-2002 11:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome