4Likes
  • 1 Post By jub jub
  • 2 Post By Bruno
  • 1 Post By Bruno

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
vonzvette

Callaway Honker Cold Air System

I have a stock 2009 Z06 and want to add a cold air system. Callaway Honker is what appears to stand out. Any suggestions? This system seems to be hard to obtain, why? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM
jub jub

Re: Callaway Honker Cold Air System

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzvette View Post
I have a stock 2009 Z06 and want to add a cold air system. Callaway Honker is what appears to stand out. Any suggestions? This system seems to be hard to obtain, why? Thanks
If your Z06 is stock the stock air filter flows plenty well and filters better. Every CAI I've put on has caused me problems with codes and I said enough. Another 10 hp ain't going to make a difference in the 1/4.

Just my .02.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:58 AM
2MchFun

Garage

A good tune with all stock components will net you more than a so-called CAI

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
'04 MS/Blk - Z06Fest IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI - WinterFest I "Bus Driver",WinterFest IV
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 11:36 AM
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

I am glad that this topic just came up. I have been waiting for quite sometime to make a few changes to my car. First was to be a CAI even though I have read that in order to get the full benefit you need to get a "tune" and then you should expect 30-35 RWHP improvement. Which seems to follow exactly what you guys are saying, get tune and get 30 HP. My dilemma is I would like to change my exhaust (axel back) I know I MAY get an increase but it's going to cost a lot. So is the exhaust at $2K just a big waste? I just hate the way the stock exhaust sound until the bypass valves open. The other thing is I really don't want the CEL light coming on from a CAI. Any suggestions from any of you guys or gals out there?

13 Z06 Blk/Blk Halltech mf103 Corsa sport axle back exhaust custom tune by Team ZR1 533rwhp 463rwtq 48lb/hr injectors
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 04:39 PM
jub jub

I put my car on the dyno when it was stock and made 440. I installed a CAI (Airaid) and a tune and made 480. I was pretty happy with the results but the downside was the codes I was setting. The most common were related to the catalytic converter and some lean bank1 and 2 codes. After much frustration, I put the stock air cleaner back on and returned the tune to stock. To tell the truth, I couldn't detect much difference between the two tunes even though I gained 40HP. The difference wasn't worth the hassle in the long run. One of the things that helped sway my decision to go back to a stock air cleaner is it's ability to filter out finer particles, thus keeping all the nasties out of your engine.

Anyway, I've learned to just enjoy the car in stock form. I did however add a Mild to Wild switch to give a deeper exhaust note at idle.
Voodooman likes this.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:58 PM
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

Thanks for the feedback. I think what I need to do is wait for the new Michelin 4S tires. I have read lots of good things about them, however they have not yet made a 275/35-18 for the fronts to replace my Goodyear run flats. Nothing against Goodyear but I hate these tires. I would rather deal with a non run flat than these tires. So leave the car stock and rely on my better driving instincts to jump the other guy. Funny thing is my wife used to drag race 1/8 mile. She always said the race is over in the first 10 ft. you snooze you loose. To this day she still watches the cross lights. They turn yellow she is counting down the time to go. She may be driving a Mustang GT (6 speed manual) but she has embarrassed many men in much faster cars because of her reaction time. God I love that women.
jub jub and Voodooman like this.

13 Z06 Blk/Blk Halltech mf103 Corsa sport axle back exhaust custom tune by Team ZR1 533rwhp 463rwtq 48lb/hr injectors
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:56 PM
jub jub

Good tires is money well spent! Another mod well worth the money is attending a performance school!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:28 AM
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

I agree I have attended two day course's at both Bondurant and Road Atlanta. Both well worth the time and investment.
jub jub likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road