Musty A/C smell on start up - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage
Musty A/C smell on start up

Lately on start up I have noticed a musty smell when starting my car with the a/c on. It has been a while since I had a car do this. Last time I bought some disinfectant/deodorant that you spray into the HVAC air intake and that seemed to get rid of the problem. Before I buy some gunk to spay into the system, do any of you have any experience doing this? I don't want to spay some crap into the HVAC system causing more problems. Or is this something I need to let a qualified technician perform. I don't think the drain hose is clogged because I usually see water grips on my garage floor when returning home on the passenger side.

13 Z06 Blk/Blk Halltech mf103 Corsa sport axle back exhaust custom tune by Team ZR1 533rwhp 463rwtq 48lb/hr injectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 PM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

Re: Musty A/C smell on start up

Have you changed the HVAC filter ?

Mike M - 2001 / 2008 Z06s
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

I have not changed the cabin air filter because I didn't know that the C6 had a cabin air filter. However now that I know that, that will be my first course of action.

13 Z06 Blk/Blk Halltech mf103 Corsa sport axle back exhaust custom tune by Team ZR1 533rwhp 463rwtq 48lb/hr injectors
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:13 AM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

Review owners manual

The passenger compartment air filter removes certain particles from the air including pollen and dust particles.
Reductions in airflow, which may occur more often in dusty areas, indicate that the filter may need to be replaced.
See Scheduled Maintenance on page 6-4 for information on how often to replace the filter.

Notice:
Driving without a passenger compartment air filter in place can cause water and small
particles, like paper and leaves, to be pulled into your climate control system which may cause
damage to it.
Make sure you always replace the old filter with a new one.

The passenger compartment air filter is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment near the battery.
See Engine Compartment Overview on page 5-14.

1. Undo the passenger compartment air filter housing cover retainer clips (A).
2. Remove the passenger compartment air filter housing cover.
3. Remove the passenger compartment air filter from the housing.
4. Insert the new filter into the housing.
5. Reinstall the passenger compartment air filter housing cover.
6. Attach the passenger compartment air filter housing cover retainer clips.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

I ordered a new filter today on Amazon, genuine GM replacement filter $17 and change to be delivered by Wednesday. Hope this gets the problem fixed. It's not real stinky just a little musty for the first 5-10 seconds then it's gone. Thanks for including the instructions to change the filter. I googled it and watched a youtube video on the procedure. Might take all of 30 seconds to do so no big deal.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:07 PM
fatherjohn

Your rain udders may be all clogged up with gunk too, such as dirt and bits of leaves etc. If they are blocked off, you'll have stagnant water sitting in them which can cause that smell as well. You may need to pop them off and clear them out. Not overly difficult and no tools required. I'd suggest youtube to find a decent video on it that will show you better than I can explain it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

Well changed the cabin air filter today and was surprised to see that many dead bugs and just general crap trapped in the filter. I know it has never been changed but the car only has ~10300 miles on it. Now that tropical storm Barry has blown of here will probably drive the car tomorrow and see if the filter helps.

Last edited by Bruno; 07-16-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

I drove the car this morning and the smell is mostly gone. There may just be a tiny bit of lingering smell.

As for the a/c drain udders, I can't find them. I did google it and all that comes up is udders for C5's and no real pictures as to where they are located.

I did notice that when I let the car idle on the driveway for about 1 minute I got a good sized puddle under the car where the drain should be located. As a note the humidity here this morning was 88%, temp 77*.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:28 AM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

The C5s have the 2 utters, not sure the C6s do

Below the shroud where the windshield whippers are below that on each side there is one on C5s
They allow water to drain through them to ground
Check the carpet, if it is dry and no signs of water in past then utters would not be a problem

If C6s have them like C5s they are not easy to get to.
Either the shroud would have to be taken off or the inner fenders have a section by firewalls come off and utters would be seen and check the slots in bottom of them are not plugged up

I would wait and see with the new cabin filter if the smell returns or not as the old filter is what got wet and moldy

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

The carpet is dry as can be, so if there is no blockage all I have is musty smells coming from the old filter I hope I'll give it few days. KI was being very critical this morning so what little I may have smelled is just that.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:44 PM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

Under the floor hatch on passenger side take a look and see if all is dry there
If no signs of water stains then best bet it was the filter

No sure why people with C6s never change that cabin filter at all or rarely do

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

Problem solved by installing a new cabin air filter!

Thanks for the info!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road