Z06... FINALLY I got to drive it in the UK! - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
cheeky
Z06 Addict

Z06... FINALLY I got to drive it in the UK!

No, mine hasn't been delivered...

...but finally I got to drive a demonstrator on Saturday, which was the nicest day (morning, at least) for a while.

Very impressed. Pretty well everything I've read turns out to be true.

The demonstrator's not got too many miles on it so I didn't rev it particularly highly, but nor was there any need to. What an accomplished car.

I'll only be telling some of you what you already know far better than I but here goes:

Acceleration was excellent, from any speed and in (nearly) any gear. 6th really is a toothless overdrive but that's great for its cruising purpose.

The noise that accompanied that acceleration reminded me of a fighter jet launching. If most of the noise at low revs was from the tyres, above 3000 it was very, very different - a real beast.

Comfort levels high and the seats were perfect for the purpose, at least for someone my shape. The Z06 is also clearly a very composed car and high cruising speeds did not feel particularly fast - possibly a dangerous trait!

Tranny rattle a minor annoyance but I found the gearshift positive and clean; certainly not something I would take issue with as some have done.

The cargo space, to my utter delight, not only accommodated my rifles (a key requirement of any car, for me) but also the large black rifle box that can house two of them when going on tour. The only other sports car I can think of that can do that comfortably is the TVR Tuscan that I am selling.

The car was an absolute beauty up close. Yellow is not normally to my taste but the VY demonstrator looked gorgeous in the sunshine outside my house and prompted queries from a neighbour within seconds.

A couple of bits of road (high up on the A3 and on a straight country road) provoked a bit of suspension bounce; but I drove the same stretches afterwards in the Tuscan and the experience was not dissimilar - it's just that you look for these things more critically in a new car. The Z06 also dealt with speed bumps with no more trouble than I'm used to.

Left hand drive (in the UK, remember) was NO problem whatsoever. In town, the only time it was an issue was when trying to see round stopped buses in order to pass them. Otherwise, city driving was fine and kerb-crawling on the first sunny day for ages was made easier by LHD in a RHD country! On dual carriageways, again no problem at all; and, given the propensity for the majority of British drivers these days to hog the outside lane, being able to see more clearly underneath them (i.e. to their left) was no bad thing. The really pleasant surprise was that, after having blasted past a couple of cars on some real twisties, I realised that I hadn't even thought about being on the "wrong" side of the car while doing so. The process just hadn't been any different and I hadn't had to think about it any differently. And on long, straight, single lane roads, one could just hold back far enough to be able to pull out safely to have a look, then go.

Now, those twisties... anyone who knows me will know I've been saving some good stuff until last. The test drive was planned to take us down to a couple of roads that I know very well, each with a series of quite tight bends that you can carry speed through. They are the roads on which I was mightily impressed with the TVR Sagaris a few months ago. The Z06 performed beautifully. It felt very, very planted through the bends and the brakes felt magnificent. My Tuscan was waiting for me at Racing Green, so I was able to drive both cars on the same roads soon after each other. The Z06 had a bit more of a kick to it and felt, I think, slightly more planted than the Tuscan, and speeds through and out of bends were slightly higher. Were they as high as in the Sagaris a few months ago? I'm honestly not sure; that had been the most confidence-inspiring car I had ever driven round those bends by far. But I'm pretty sure the Z's acceleration from corner to corner and its brakes will have made up for any difference in speed through the bends, if indeed there was any.

That said, the ONE criticism I would make of the Z06, which was all the more obvious in that environment, regarded the steering. It was not at all quick enough for such a high performance car. And feedback was nowhere near positive enough. I'd argue the wheel's a bit too large too. But these are not killer points.

I jumped back in the Tuscan afterwards and boy did it feel light by comparison. But it also felt a lot less torquey (despite being much more so than most cars); and the Tuscan's rush from 4000rpm upwards was suddenly a lot more obvious, highlighted by the Z's low end power delivery.

The Tuscan's still a great car but, after this, am I looking forward even more to my LMB Z06 arriving in June? You bet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:00 AM
z064ever
Z06 Addict

Send a message via AIM to z064ever Send a message via MSN to z064ever
Sounds awesome. I'm from London too. What sort of reactions do you get in London from your car?

Love the site, love the car
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
cheeky
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by z064ever
Sounds awesome. I'm from London too. What sort of reactions do you get in London from your car?
It's not mine - just a demonstrator. I didn't detect a huge amount of gawping - Lambos can go past in London without attracting attention sometimes.

Whereabouts are you and are you getting one?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:45 AM
z064ever
Z06 Addict

Send a message via AIM to z064ever Send a message via MSN to z064ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky
It's not mine - just a demonstrator. I didn't detect a huge amount of gawping - Lambos can go past in London without attracting attention sometimes.

Whereabouts are you and are you getting one?
Oops sorry I should have paid more attention to what you wrote. Yea Lambos and Ferraris are getting a bit too common in London for my liking. I am from West London and am a degree student so I won't be getting one anytime soon...lol.

Love the site, love the car
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Chris Holmes
Z06 Authority

How expensive is it to fill it with petrol? Hasn't Gordon Brown put it up again?

Filling the Z is expensive enough over here Haven't been back to Britain in 3 years, but I remember that petrol aint cheap.

2003 Z06 - 784 RWHP, 771 RWTQ
2006 M5
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
cheeky
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Holmes
How expensive is it to fill it with petrol? Hasn't Gordon Brown put it up again?

Filling the Z is expensive enough over here Haven't been back to Britain in 3 years, but I remember that petrol aint cheap.
Who can afford one of these cars but not the petrol???
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Chris Holmes
Z06 Authority

Me! That's why I drive the 4Runner every day

2006 M5
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
cheeky
Z06 Addict

Quote:
what's one of those?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Chris Holmes
Z06 Authority

It's an SUV.

Congrats on getting the car in June by the way I had a chance to look round one a couple of months back when I picked up my car from East Coast Supercharging. It's a nice motor. Are you going to be modding it?

2006 M5

Last edited by Chris Holmes; 03-27-2006 at 08:29 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:26 AM
headsup
Z06 Member

Aren't rifles and their transport an issue is Britain?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
cheeky
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsup
Aren't rifles and their transport an issue is Britain?
Not with a firearm certificate. Pistols are banned though.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 06:59 AM
novetteyet
Z06 Authority

Good review, Cheeky, thanks. Can't imagine one sees many others on the roads over there!

Post some pics when you get yours... LMB is gonna be my color choice also. Eventually. Assuming GM survives long enough.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
cheeky
Z06 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by novetteyet
Good review, Cheeky, thanks. Can't imagine one sees many others on the roads over there!

Post some pics when you get yours... LMB is gonna be my color choice also. Eventually. Assuming GM survives long enough.
Other than at a dealership, I have only seen one C6 (which was LMB) in London or indeed the UK. The only Z I have seen was the one I drove.

That can only be a good thing in my book.

The guys that have been looking after my TVR have offered to do work on the Z06 when it comes because they are the only Mosler dealership in this country and Mosler uses Corvette technology.

Would that be a sensible idea or should I stick with main dealer? Does the warranty depend on that?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 06:22 PM
constren
Z06 Addict

Nice to hear from our friends across "the pond". Good luck on getting your new Z. Absolutely love mine.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 06:37 PM
DDNZ06
Z06 Addict

Quote:
I'm thinking the C6Z prob gets better gas mileage than your 4runner......=] And it has 500HP...got to love that 6th gear!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Pit Road