Notebook computer -/GPS System Recommendation (long) - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Felkebg
Z06 Addict

Send a message via AIM to Felkebg
For all of you who have a notebook computer and who occasionally get lost (temporarily misdirected?)- Have you seen the Delorme Earthmate with Street Atlas V 8.0? Just wanted to tell you it is a great system at $129 + or -. You put the antenna on your dash, plug it into a notebook PC, and it acquires 6 GPS satellites and an arrow representing your Vette appears on the highway. Put in where you want to go and the computer speaks to you, "In six seconds take a right turn on Braintree Avenue."

It also lists over 3 million points of interest like civil war battles, etc. It tells you what gas and restaurants are at every exit and can keep you and your spouse from arguing over a map.

I have used mine for over 3 years and it really helps my "road warrioring." I know you can get little ones too and spend $2k for a factory install but I can put in your address in my unit and show you where your driveway is...

'01, Z06, Millenium Yellow (reflective concepts front and rear "Corvette", interior D&J decals (all), electrochromics, BSMs, magnetic oil plug, cargo net, Lexol, and velcro'd accessories), Everyday driver (such a treat to drive Automobile's car of the year!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 05:29 AM
AmishVette
Z06 Addict

Sounds really neat! There are times when I could sure use some help in finding my driveway!!!

QS/Black Z06 Stock
99 Z28 Indy Parade Car
70 LT-1 Corvette Coupe
70 Z28 RS
Amish Buggy 1 HP
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:41 AM
Hasbro
Z06 Addict

I use a Garmin E-Map. It runs around $250 and you can load detailed maps into it that includes just about anything a traveler would want (restaurants, hotels, etc and includes phone numbers). It fits in your pocket and is great for hiking/biking as well. One nice feature is the "return" which directs you back along the path you used to get to a destination.... It doesn't talk though so I take the wife along! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the memories Dale.
Delivered 1/19/01 - Z06 Quicksilver/Black
Nickname - "Silver Bullet"
Installed - Z06 exhaust plate, B&M Ripper, Flameball, CAGS, Lloyds mats
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Felkebg
Z06 Addict

Send a message via AIM to Felkebg
Hasbro,

I know what you mean. My wife had laryngitis for a few days and when I was driving with her I had to keep looking over her direction because I kept thinking see must have fallen out of the car.......
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 05:29 PM
Hasbro
Z06 Addict

[img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have even more fun.... the wife seldom sleeps in the car anymore because I used to drive alongside another car on the highway and give everyone a good look at her "head noddin" along..... Most people got a good laugh... at least until the day she woke up and we were alongside a bunch of college kids enjoying the view! Yes, we're still married.....

Thanks for the memories Dale.
Delivered 1/19/01 - Z06 Quicksilver/Black
Nickname - "Silver Bullet"
Installed - Z06 exhaust plate, B&M Ripper, Flameball, CAGS, Lloyds mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Other Z06 Topics > The Garage (non Vette related)