Tuning a Procharged Z06 - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
LeForce

Tuning a Procharged Z06

I'm about to purchase a Procharger kit for an 08 Z06, the issue with this Z06 that it has Lingenfelter modified heads, headers, & a GT21 racing camshaft (630hp engine kit). I suspect that the car would run a little lean with the basic tune provided with the Procharger kit which is meant for a stock Z06. So, I suspect that I might need to modify the kit's basic tune. My question is, are the tuning tools included in the Procharger kit, (a Predator hand held & bundled software) sufficient enough to do data logging & modify fuel/ignition tables accordingly?
Could the software be used for AFR data logging in conjunction with an external wideband reader such as Innovate LM1? Also, could the logging software log knock through the knock sensor?

I would appreciate any help/advice especially if you have a similar setup to mine.
The car also has forged engine internals:
JE pistons 8.5 compression
Callies H-beam offset conrods
Callies 4340 crankshaft
Speed Pro bearings

Last edited by LeForce; 04-18-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
YumaZ06
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Location: Yuma, Az. ?????? Z06 Fest IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII & Winterfest 1,2,3 & 4
Re: Tuning a Procharged Z06

First of all welcome to .

Personally I would not rely on the Predator to tune a supercharged car. HP tuners, EFI Live or LSedit would be the tuning software of choice (not necessarily in that order).

Sig by GR8 White (modified by Speedratchet)
2004 MS/BLK
Still retired out in the middle of nowhere.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
LeForce

Thank you :]

I know that the other systems you mentioned are better, but Procharger provides a preset tune with their basic kit & the Predator to flash the new tune post installation.
I might need to modify this preset tune because my Z06 is not completely stock & I wonder if the bundled Predator is sufficient enough for such task?

I'm not familiar with Vette's tuning, I've done some tuning for Japanese sports cars, usually, If the software is capable of producing elaborate data logs including AFR (external wideband) & knock, it would make tuning much easier adjusting fuel/ignition values & weeding detonation out.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 AM
YumaZ06
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Location: Yuma, Az. ?????? Z06 Fest IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII & Winterfest 1,2,3 & 4

Don't know the answer about the handheld programmers so here's a :bump: for you.

Sig by GR8 White (modified by Speedratchet)
2004 MS/BLK
Still retired out in the middle of nowhere.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 AM
PerforminNorman
Z06 Master

Send a message via AIM to PerforminNorman Send a message via Yahoo to PerforminNorman

I'd never trust a preset tune for any reason. Every car reacts in a different way. I'd definitely seek out a custom tune.

LS15 Power! LS2 + LS6 + LS7 = LS15.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 AM
MikesZ06
Administrator

The Procharger tune is a template designed for a bone stock engine and the pulley that comes with the kit.

With other mods involved, a custom tune is very necessary.

Mike

2002 Procharged (F1-C) 427LSX 821rwhp/751rwtq
9.87 at 141mph & 2007 Black C6 Z06
Vette Magazine article
1/4 mile pass
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 AM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

Considering you live where the weather is hot which leans up the AFR much more
your asking for real trouble using a "canned" tune.
Add the type of gas you might be using and you will burn pistons or cause the cylinder sleeves to crack or blown head gaskets.

You need a tuning tool like LS2edit and a good OBD-II scanner and fit the tune to work good and safely for the Z06's makeup and your drivestyle.

The scanner with the box is generic, slow and does not allow for full scans and records to analyze the data as how that engine is functioning.

Mike M - 2001 / 2008 Z06s
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
LeForce

I really appreciate all the replies & input. I know that the preset tune is not good enough, but it would be something to start with & modify rather than having to start from scratch. It seems that more advanced tuning tools are required to complete the task.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
LeForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingvette View Post
Considering you live where the weather is hot which leans up the AFR much more
your asking for real trouble using a "canned" tune.
Add the type of gas you might be using and you will burn pistons or cause the cylinder sleeves to crack or blown head gaskets.

You need a tuning tool like LS2edit and a good OBD-II scanner and fit the tune to work good and safely for the Z06's makeup and your drivestyle.

The scanner with the box is generic, slow and does not allow for full scans and records to analyze the data as how that engine is functioning.
What type of scanner would you recommend? Other than the basic values, I need something capable of logging AFR (works with an external wideband) & logs knock through knock sensor.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Big Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeForce View Post
What type of scanner would you recommend? Other than the basic values, I need something capable of logging AFR (works with an external wideband) & logs knock through knock sensor.
The predator is capable of what you are trying to accomplish but you need to have the CMR software in order to get to the tuning depth you are trying to reach. It has a global spark advance and WOT FUELING adjustments but you cannot dial it in with the programmer only.

Forwhat you are trying to accomplish, your best bet is to order the Procharger as tuner kit, without injectors and programmer, and get your own injectors and hp tuners and go from there.

The car should have a tune in it. Find out what software was used and get that software so you can pull the existing tune and adjust from there. If you have never tuned a chevy that is your best bet because tuning import cars is way different. I tune Ford and Chevy and the two are completely different, not just software alone but motor and setup make a big impact as well. Last thing you want is to hurt your built motor due to incompetence.

Good luck.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 PM
MikesZ06
Administrator

LeForce, looking at your initial post again, I notice that you have an aftermarket cam.

Frankly, I don't know how 'lumpy' a GT21 racing camshaft is, but it is also important to note that, depending on your level of engine build, more aggressive cams don't always play well with blowers.

With that in mind, I strongly recommend a custom tune, including an A/f sensor placed in a bung before the cats to get proper A/F readings.

I'm not a tuner but rather my own personal opinion.

Mike

2002 Procharged (F1-C) 427LSX 821rwhp/751rwtq
9.87 at 141mph & 2007 Black C6 Z06
Vette Magazine article
1/4 mile pass
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
LeForce

Hi Big Turkey,

Is the CMR software included in the Procharger kit along with the programmer?

Since the current tune was provided by Lingenfilter I assume that the software they use is EFI-Live, but shouldn't any software be capable of reading any tune on a stock ECU?
I'm assuming that the basic tune provided by Procharger is closer to where the final tune should be rather than the current tune which is meant for an NA car. My main concern is the aftermarket camshaft (GT21) currently installed on the car, it could make the car run leaner than expected. It would be great if I have a software that is capable of incorporating the readings from my LM1 lambda kit into the data log. Such log would indicate under which RPM/load areas fueling needs to be modified (enriched).
The software should also be able log knock through the stock knock sensor, so ignition timing could be retarded under the RPM/load areas under which knock is occurring.
The Procharger kit I'm ordering produces 4.5psi of boost I'm hoping that such conservative boost would be safe enough even if the tune is not perfect.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 AM
NORTY
Z06 Pilot

4.5psi of boost with 8.5:1 pistons is indeed conservative. You could probably go 12psi boost with that low of compression. Especially since you're forged. The tune @ this level will have no room for error though...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:51 AM
RoastinZ06

You definitely need a legit tuner to go through the entire calibration. careful with "dyno tuning shops". More than 50% of my business is fixing tunes from these places. Its a shame.

-John
Roastin Performance LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 Z06 - Forced Induction & Nitrous