ZR-1 battery corrosion - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Plakin
Z06 Member

ZR-1 battery corrosion

My 2010 ZR-1 (8000 miles) would not start yesterrday-thought I had left something on but no, it was the positive side of the battery connection, which was HIGHLY corroded-the AAA guy said it was as bad as he had ever seen-I mean a big pile of "stuff" under the red plastic shield. We cleaned it up and it started up fine. I never thought to even look back there to see how the battery was. I only drive the car 300 miles per month. Also, the battery is rather difficuld to remove and a battery carrier is needed to get it out to clean up the mess left for this episode. Check this out from time to time. Probably not specific to the ZR-1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 10:18 AM
MikesZ06
Administrator

Re: ZR-1 battery corrosion

Batteries have always been a bit of a hick-up with Vettes, no matter what model or year. Whatyagonnado :doh:

Mike

2002 Procharged (F1-C) 427LSX 821rwhp/751rwtq
9.87 at 141mph & 2007 Black C6 Z06
Vette Magazine article
1/4 mile pass
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Tomasy
Z06 Senior Member

That much corrosion at that mileage would make me want to check for an acid leak from the battery. Anything over 2 years on an oem battery is kind of borrowed time.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
racingvette
Z06 Tech Advisor

If the battery cables was not correctly torqued to the battery posts that could happen
Make sure it is tight and then watch to see if it happens again

If it does then battery is defective and should be replaced.

Mike M - 2001 / 2008 Z06s
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 AM
vant
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingvette View Post
If it does then battery is defective and should be replaced.
That was my first thought. We're talking about a $100 battery in a $100,000 car. If it were me, I would just replace it now (the battery, not the car).

I need a new sig!
2004 MS/BLK Z06 / Toyo T1Rs / CAGS Defeat / Seat Bolster Mod / HPDE Checklist
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Plakin
Z06 Member

The dealership replaced the battery and the complete cable assembly. Working fine so far.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Plakin
Z06 Member

The posts above were long ago-2012 -still have the very same ZR-1 with the same replacement battery as described above. Car now has 15k miles- 6 years or so later. The replacement battery has been perfect till this morning even though the car is not driven much. Temp outside is near 30 this morning and has been for a couple of days. Would not start so I hooked up the charger without disconnecting the terminals as I did not want to go through the reprogramming of all the "stuff"--you know what I mean. Question is, "should I disconnect the terminals for the in-car charging?". Charger looked like it was working fine-pegged out then fell back to 4 in 2 minutes or so. Second question is maybe this battery is on its last legs-you think? It is now close to 6 years old. Thx
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Bruno
Z06 Addict

Garage

It seems to me that all batteries only last about 6 years. I had to replace my battery this fall, the car is a '13, so from when I got it until I replaced the battery has been 5+ years.
All my Fords in the garage have had their batteries replaced between the 5 and 6 year time line.
I do however keep my Corvette plugged into a battery saver for the winter months when driving the car is really not an option. Winter came a little early this year as our weather has been cold and crappy since November started. Because these cars have so many controllers and on board computers running you need a constant power source. My tuner told me that every time you open the door the controllers run for about 15 minutes. So constant power draw leads to short battery life if you are not plugged in or driving the car frequently.

13 Z06 Blk/Blk Halltech mf103 Corsa sport axle back exhaust custom tune by Team ZR1 533rwhp 463rwtq 48lb/hr injectors
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Hotrodron

Garage

I agree with Bruno,I bought my 04 four years ago and,always kept it on a battery tender from Nov-April.It had an A.C.Delco battery in it and I didn't have a problem until this November.One day while it was on the tender I opened the door,& I heard a ticking sound coming from the battery.It only lasted a minute then stopped.I checked the battery & the tender and both seemed fine.But I noticed the indicator light wasn't changing back to green after 12 hours later(it stayed red).So with the advice from a friend I pulled the battery,and found it had a small crack near the post.Luckily I caught it in time before any damage occurred.I went with a new optima red top,which is supposed to be leak proof,and will replace it every 4 years from now on,for peace of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > C6 Z06 Specific Topics > C6 - ZR1