HPDE Checklist - Page 3 - Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 06:35 AM
BEZ06
Z06 Member

Re: HPDE Checklist

Great checklist!!!

I used most all of it for my first HPDE last weekend at Daytona.

After the Friday sessions I decided I needed a checklist to remind me what to do to get the car ready just before taking the track. I've got a C6 Z06 with all the options, and some of that fancy stuff can mess you up if you shut the car down on the grid/staging lane.

On my first solo session Friday afternoon I got the car all set in the paddock and pulled out onto the pit lane where we staged. The car was all warmed up and ready to go, but we still had 7 or 8 minutes until the track was clear and my group would be going out, so I shut off the engine and opened the door to try and keep cool (it was almost 80 degrees), took off my gloves, and released my seat belt to swing my feet out for a couple minutes. When I did that the car goes to my memory "exit" settings (seat goes back and down, steering wheel moves in, etc.).

When the previous group was pitting after their cool down lap I started the car up. This being my first HPDE I was mostly thinking about the track, and when I pushed in the clutch I could tell my seat and the steering wheel weren't quite right. I quickly pushed the memory button to go to my preset stuff, but in addition to seats and mirrors, that also sets the HUD, radio, air conditioning, etc. to my street driving setup I had programmed, and it resets AH/TC to full on. I was scrambling to get set just before pulling out onto the track.

The same thing happened for a couple other sessions, but with my checklist I knew I was ready to hit the track and wouldn't be distracted by something I forgot to set up properly.

Beginning Track Session

• Brief Passenger/Instructor on egress
• Memory Button – #1
• DRL’s – OFF
• HUD – Track Mode
• AH – Off or Comp Mode
• NPP Valves – Open
• Radio/Nav – OFF
• Air Cond – OFF
• Doors – UNLOCKED
• Traqmate - ON
• Video Camera – ON
• Seat Belt – Ratchet tight

Don't assume an instructor or passenger will know how to get out of a C6 by pushing the button, or especially if power is lost, that they will need to pull the mechanical door release down on the floor.

Hitting the memory button gets the seat/mirrors/steering wheel where I want them. But it calls up my memorized street HUD mode, so I need to select the track mode I want.

I started out with full AH on, but during the first few sessions I could see the DIC flashing that it was active a couple of places on the track where I didn't want it. I went with Comp mode after that - it still came on when up on the high banked wall at about 140 or 145 (it's kinda bumpy up there! ), but I figured it was doing something for me that I wasn't aware of at my low experience level.

I've got a Mild-to-Wild wireless controller for my exhaust butterflies, and just opened them up before taking the track. They'll open above 3,000 rpm in Comp mode anyway (so probably would have been open the whole time on the track anyway), but I just opened them so they wouldn't be cycling.

I've just got the regular OE seat belts, but if you pull them all the way out they will go into a "ratchet" mode. That way I could pull it real tight and it helped keep me fastened to the seat a little better.

I decided I wanted to run with the DRL's off, so I turned them off manually.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-02-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Updated checklist now that I have a data-logger and video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 09:27 AM
DennyM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEZ06 View Post

[B]Beginning Track Session

• Memory Button – #1

Hitting the memory button gets the seat/mirrors/steering wheel where I want them. But it calls up my memorized street HUD mode, so I need to select the track mode I want.
Bob
Bob ... If I missed you earlier, ... welcome to
excellent post ...
I use the third memory position (push 1&2 together) and use that for my track setting ... that way I don't have to mess with the other settings ... :idea:
I think you have the same function as the C5 (certainly no less!)

BTW ... check in here for thread coming up on NCM VIR HPDE end of Jun

^VIR Turn 6 '10^-MungoZ06-'03 QS/ModRed - NCCC, NASA NCM Member - Z06 Fest IV,V,VI,VII
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 12:17 PM
BEZ06
Z06 Member

Denny

Thanks for the welcome!

I should (will!) post a "checking aboard" message in the General section. I've been lurking since I got my C6 Z06 2 months ago, but I've only made a couple of posts.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3rd memory position. I've had a 2005 C6 for 3 years now and I've never heard of that capability on the C6, but I'll have to check it out.

Tom B (Au N EGL on another board) has already got my attention about the VIR and RA events by the NCM. I definitely plan on the VIR event, but Tom said the event this year filled up in 1 hour and 45 minutes when registration was opened up this January!!!

I plan to put it in my calendar and set an alarm on my cellphone when registration time gets closer.

Bob

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 02:46 PM
DennyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEZ06 View Post
Tom B (Au N EGL on another board) has already got my attention about the VIR and RA events by the NCM. I definitely plan on the VIR event, but Tom said the event this year filled up in 1 hour and 45 minutes when registration was opened up this January!!!
I plan to put it in my calendar and set an alarm on my cellphone when registration time gets closer.
Bob
I started a thread here:
https://www.z06vette.com/forums/f90/n...2008-a-108335/
I'll post up in Jan, before the NCM site opens for registration ...

^VIR Turn 6 '10^-MungoZ06-'03 QS/ModRed - NCCC, NASA NCM Member - Z06 Fest IV,V,VI,VII
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Texas Z06

This is a great checklist, lots of good details. How about adding a checklist for things to recheck while at the track, before each run...
1) tire pressure
2) torque lugs
3) fuel
etc..

It's amazing to me how many people (myself included every once in a while) who get caught up talking with everyone that before they know it is their time to run again and don't take/make the time to recheck everything before heading back out.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
zeta08
Z06 Pilot

- fresh change of underwear.

Sorry, that's on my "private" list.. Thanks for the great stuff everyone.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 PM
DennyM

OK ... the new season is already underway in warmer parts - I have a few minor adds to Vant's thread ... and a question for Y'all ...
I want to include a "beginner's guide to HPDE" in the HPDE section - either as an extension of this sticky or a separate sticky.
Reason: (and you know I'm a trackrat wannabee :crazy: ) ... I want to be able to send a high speed track day first-timer to a resource center to guide him/her on preparing their car AND THEMSELF for a track day.
For Vant:
Stuff to bring:
Tire air compressor - add (or tank - air available at track)
Fire extinguisher - add (if mounted fire extinguisher required by event, ensure metal-to-metal mount)
"On the line"
memory button - change to (whatever track preset you have programmed for correct seat, mirror position) (I use position #3 for track preset)
NPP Valves - open - add (C6Z06 and so optioned C6 only)

Add a section at end:
"Off the Track" (between sessions)
- cool down lap - no brakes
- no parking brake in pit
- check tire pressures hot
- hydrate the driver

For all:
Suggested topics to incorporate in this sticky or in a new sticky thread:

Track day definitions:
* Driving School (HPDE instructional or qualifying for competition license)
**your car
**school car
* HPDE
* Open Lapping Day
*"Try it" days (limited-class session, ride with instructor in his/her car, drive with instructor in right seat)
Where to find information on event types and event organizers
If this is your first track day:
* References to prepare you
**The "language" of the track (flags, pits, grid, etc.)
**Mental preparation for the driver
**gaining knowledge of the specific track
* The insurance question
* The tires question
* The basic minimum essential preparation of the car
**fluids
**pads
*pre-event tech checklists and finding a tech shop if required
*pre-track day preparation
**the HPDE checklist
**make your own checklist
**pre-pack
**preparing the driver
*Track day
**how things run
**drivers meeting
**daily schedule and groups
**classroom instruction
**in-car instruction
**what to expect on arrival
**what to expect during the day
***on the track
***off the track

NOTE: This is not intended as a comprehensive treatise on "everything you might think you want to know" about track days, nor is it intended as a compilation of every contributor's cumulative track experience.
It will be as succinct and factual as possible - leave the opinions to other experience threads.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
vant
Z06 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyM View Post
OK ... the new season is already underway in warmer parts - I have a few minor adds to Vant's thread ... and a question for Y'all ...
I want to include a "beginner's guide to HPDE" in the HPDE section - either as an extension of this sticky or a separate sticky.
Reason: (and you know I'm a trackrat wannabee :crazy: ) ... I want to be able to send a high speed track day first-timer to a resource center to guide him/her on preparing their car AND THEMSELF for a track day.
For Vant:
Stuff to bring:
Tire air compressor - add (or tank - air available at track)
Fire extinguisher - add (if mounted fire extinguisher required by event, ensure metal-to-metal mount)
"On the line"
memory button - change to (whatever track preset you have programmed for correct seat, mirror position) (I use position #3 for track preset)
NPP Valves - open - add (C6Z06 and so optioned C6 only)

Add a section at end:
"Off the Track" (between sessions)
- cool down lap - no brakes
- no parking brake in pit
- check tire pressures hot
- hydrate the driver

For all:
Suggested topics to incorporate in this sticky or in a new sticky thread:

Track day definitions:
* Driving School (HPDE instructional or qualifying for competition license)
**your car
**school car
* HPDE
* Open Lapping Day
*"Try it" days (limited-class session, ride with instructor in his/her car, drive with instructor in right seat)
Where to find information on event types and event organizers
If this is your first track day:
* References to prepare you
**The "language" of the track (flags, pits, grid, etc.)
**Mental preparation for the driver
**gaining knowledge of the specific track
* The insurance question
* The tires question
* The basic minimum essential preparation of the car
**fluids
**pads
*pre-event tech checklists and finding a tech shop if required
*pre-track day preparation
**the HPDE checklist
**make your own checklist
**pre-pack
**preparing the driver
*Track day
**how things run
**drivers meeting
**daily schedule and groups
**classroom instruction
**in-car instruction
**what to expect on arrival
**what to expect during the day
***on the track
***off the track

NOTE: This is not intended as a comprehensive treatise on "everything you might think you want to know" about track days, nor is it intended as a compilation of every contributor's cumulative track experience.
It will be as succinct and factual as possible - leave the opinions to other experience threads.
Denny, sorry for not replying earlier - i just noticed this today. Everything is now updated in the original post as per your comments.

I like the idea of a "Track Day Definitions" thread. Sheesh, I bet the people on this forum could write a book. If you decide that this thread is the best place for that info, let me know and I'll update the original post.

I need a new sig!
2004 MS/BLK Z06 / Toyo T1Rs / CAGS Defeat / Seat Bolster Mod / HPDE Checklist
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
F.J.B.
Z06 Addict

I cant believe I just found this list.
Very helpful and informative.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum > Other Z06 Topics > Racing > HPDE