Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend told me today that Road & Track got 4.3 sec in the new Z 0-60. Said the GM claim of 3.9 was bogus. I thought for GM to publish 3.9, it had to be documented ? I remember reading somewhere that GM got 3.9 by not using the clutch, which was quite punishing to the transmission. Is that possible ? What's the skinny here, can a stock 02 get 0-60 in less that 4 sec.? Can you go balls out thru the gears without using the clutch ?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think some of the fast drag racers here (ranger?) have been able to get 1/4 times that suggest 0-60 in under 4 secs. I also believe they've done it with 01 Zs.

And yes, its possible to upshift without the clutch. I'd imagine however that they weren't doing it nicely and beating the shit out of the trans.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
For the life of me, I can't imagine up-shifting without a clutch. Not unless you had some kind of kill switch( that shut the motor down momentarily).And zero to sixty is only one shift and your over.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Track incremental Surrogates for 0-60

A guy with a drag simulator program did some calculations with PowerShifter's 12.003 quarter mile incremental times. He estimated that on that pass PowerShifter had run 0-60 in 3.85 seconds. That was with a 1.79 60' and a 5.04 330'. This was on stock tires.

With that as a basis, 0-60 in under 4.0 seconds would be achieved with a 60' around 1.85 AND a 330' less than 5.20. I have several passes bettering those benchmarks; PowerShifter has many; and several other Z06ers do too.

For ref, my 01 Z06 on its 11.948 pass did a 1.82 60' and a 5.00 330' which would put its 0-60 at around 3.80. That pass was on drag radials, though.

Ranger

·
Registered
0 Posts
The word I got :roll: is when GM was testing the 2001, their professional drivers actually achieved a 3.87 0-60. :eek: But, I also heard their techniques was VERY destructive to the clutch.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
fcalmes said:
The word I got :roll: is when GM was testing the 2001, their professional drivers actually achieved a 3.87 0-60. :eek: But, I also heard their techniques was VERY destructive to the clutch.
Ya but they have a lot of clutches...........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
:lol: Let them all think our cars are stone slow and then when we get the opportunity to prove to them how wrong they all are, we will be rewarded by seeing the stupid look on their faces! :p Bill :cheers:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Motot Trend is quoting 0-60 mph time of 4.2 sec for an '01 Z. Their times are corrected to Std Day.

We know several members here could show the reviewers how to drive.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry, but only an ignoramus would set a store by R&T's numbers! The best they managed with a '01 Z was a pathetic 4.6. MT has obtained a 4.2 on a '01, while C&D (Dec '01 issue) has achieved a stellar 4.0 along with a 12.4/116 1/4 mile run corroborating GM's claims for the '02 Z. MT's trap speed on the slower '01 is also a whopping 2 mph better than R&T's on the '02!!! Carrying the drag race further, C&D achieved a 9.2 second 0-100 run on the '02, obliterating R&T's 9.9 second fiasco. My subscription to R&T was terminated when they reported a 5.3 second 0-60 on a '99 HT back in 9/98 - what a joke! Their articles are vapid and devoid of any meaningful technical data; pretty pictures and empty prose is what R&T is all about!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts