Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess some dealers are now experiencing less buying interest in last year's models.

I just came from an out of way dealership in the Northern CA area that has a MY. VIN is 35229. It has all black interior and is being shown "privately", ie. this car is not out on the lot with all the other Chevies. It was "inside" the service area so the general public would never know about it.

I was offered a test drive without virtually any hesitation. (It probably helped that I drove up in a '96 LT4 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif. It had 10 miles on the odo and the salesman said they had it for about a week and several other customers had already called inquirying about it.

Nice car, even millennium yellow paint!!! IMO, (no flames intended), it's not worth an extra $600 in price. Still, no question, the Z06 especially a MY draws a lot of attention. Even the salesman admitted it is his personal "dream car".

The same salesman let me take for about a 15 mile test drive, so I had a chance to get on it a bit. No question, when you put your foot down, a Z06 has phenomenal performance and under hard acceleration it sounds absolutely fantastic!!!

For around town, it ain't bad either . . . a fairly comfortable and smooth ride. However, rearward visibility is not that good, but definitely not that bad for a sports car, however better than most.

This particular car has too much driveline sloop as I could feel it whenever shifting the tranny . . just as I engaged the clutch a noticeable "bump" was evident upon each upshift.

I'm nitpicking a bit here but the transaxle and six speed combo, in comparison to the old ZF, seems less refined.

The selling dealer is Hayward Chevrolet. They have it marked up big time, like $12k over MSRP. They claim it is one of the only MY currently available in the state. This may be true, particularly in NorCal.

Indeed, I don't know of any others in the SF Bay Area that have MY Z06 in stock, which includes about a dozen or so other Chevy dealers.

Anderson Chevrolet in Menlo Park has two TRs (one with TR interior) as of yesterday when I checked, and they are marked up $10k over sticker. Outrageous!!!

This makes the 4th Z06 I've test driven and the second MY, just for the asking, yet each of three different selling dealers where I got test drives, is holding on to these cars like they are made out of solid gold. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for the story. Its hard to believe that these unethical dealers are still gouging the consumer. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Good story. About 10K over MSRP seems to be the average here in the Seattle area as well. I don't expect the light to come on for these dealers until the 02s start piling up around them as well.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In Florida, most are going for MSRP. Even though, some dealers want WAY ovr MSRP for ALL Corvettes. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

It is sad that GM can not govern this, I was told that GM didn't allow mark-ups on some cars.

Anyways, dealers make a sufficient amount on the car, they get them for a huge discunt.

When I bought my now deceased motorcycle, the dealer charged me a $200 fee to put it together.......and it alreadycame built from the factory. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Now, I paid this premium along with other mark-ups because it was "THE" bike to have, but, mark my word, I will never do this again. No matter what it is I am buying. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Guys (and Gals),

I just bought a 2001 Z06 Torch Red/Black #35244 here in the Los Angeles area and got a 5% discount. The dealer gave me a letter with a guarantee of 5% off the 2002 Z06 I ordered when that gets delivered. At least some of the dealers here in CA are being reasonable. Even at 5% discount they're still making $5000 on the car. What's up with the $10k over MSRP!?

T.Rose

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"EZ" (easy to accelerate), you did good. A 5% discount ($2500?) is probably as good or better than almost any other dealer in the country, especially on a 2002. Did it help to get such a discount that you are buying TWO cars from the same place?

At any rate, your dealer needs to be recognized for not being just another bandido!!! So what is your dealer's name, location and phone no.??? Are they willing to make the same deal with any Z06 buyer or does it just so happened that you are maybe related to the owner? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts