Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be worth it to put an '02 air box on my car ?
I would like to know what the differences are in h.p. if any.
I would also like to know the best place to buy one.

TIA. :)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Believe

LAPD, is selling the lid, AND the K & N filter.......for around $109.00.....THIS SHOULD BE GOOD FOR AROUND 5-7 hp:roll:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I got one from Ken. I haven't put it on yet but opening the lid does help a bit, so I think this will help with the added BIG benifit of the best water protection available. IMHO Ric

·
Registered
566 Posts
I put the modded cover w/KN filter on from W. Coast Corvettes. Definitely felt the difference after a few miles were put on the car.

This has a larger hole than even the new 02 cover, is inexpensive for the extra HP you get, and there are no hydro lock worries. Also easy to change back to stock.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Dennis Jurs said:
I put the modded cover w/KN filter on from W. Coast Corvettes. Definitely felt the difference after a few miles were put on the car.

This has a larger hole than even the new 02 cover, is inexpensive for the extra HP you get, and there are no hydro lock worries. Also easy to change back to stock.
Dennis, The design of the opening in the gm cover is to give more protection from any water that might make it through the seams of the hood or when opening the hood when wet. The modified cover,donaldson and halltec do not afford that safty precaution. Will you definatly have a problem? NO. Is your setup as safe? I dont think so. Ric

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ric:

In that context you are correct, but I don't drive my car in the rain intentionally, (it's not a daily driver). Do you think a hood seal would provide some protection from rain water coming in through the hood seams??? Obviously one can never entirely avoid the rain even under the best of circumstances. Your point regarding the hood seams has me a bit concerned. The modded box I have has a VERY large opening.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Dennis, I think the hood seal would be a prudent investment. Dont be overly concerned but be concerned. I dont drive mine in terible weather, but I drive it, and the north east is very unpredictable. Ric

·
Registered
523 Posts
Off the subject here.......I was never going to drive my car in the rain.With 750 miles on it,I left Jacksonville,Fl to see my dad in Ohio,first stopping off in BG.About 100 miles from Atlanta I encountered a cold front coming from the north with accompanying rain.......300 miles of it.Finally stopped somewhere in Tenn.So much for that Idea.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
According to a test conducted by Corvette Fever, you will need to also install the '02 MAF in order to notice any appreciable gain in HP.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Simple answer

IF you are using the K & N, and the opened up box..........why not carrry the old stock lid, w, filter in the rear area.
IF you think there is a chance of rain, takes maybe 5 minutes to swap over...........small price to pay for peace of mind.;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark S. said:
According to a test conducted by Corvette Fever, you will need to also install the '02 MAF in order to notice any appreciable gain in HP.
Well crap ! I just ordered one from LAPD.
Ahh well, maybe the K&N that comes with it will help a little.:roll:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Sooner

You DO NOT need an '02 MAF,,,,,,,,,,the one you have is QUITE sufficient for the '01.............
Why dod you order a '02 MAF????:-?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Sooner

ZO6LS6 said:
You DO NOT need an '02 MAF,,,,,,,,,,the one you have is QUITE sufficient for the '01.............
Why dod you order a '02 MAF????:-?
Sorry for the confusion. I ordered the '02 box with a K&N and was only saying crap because he said it wouldn't do anything for me. :eek:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Sooner

You're ok, it WILL help your car........you have an '01, (if I understsand you correctly) you ordered an '02 Airbox, with a K & N filter........CORRRECT??
If so, and you have the STOCK '01 Airbox on your '01, then you will see an increase in power and airflow............
Now, of I am confused, please clarify..............;)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Sooner

Then you DO NOT need a '02 MAF.........your factory MAF is a/ok...........
You will /have helped yourself out by upgrading........larger opening, less restrictive filter, means MORE air.............

This is GOOD.:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts