Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consider the following when looking at these results:
1) The 01 had 1500 miles, the 02 had 1700.
2) Both cars are completely stock.
3) Same dyno, same operator.
4) Nearly the same break in procedure.

Sorry for the size, but for clarity I left it this way.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks for posting the charts.

Now your next testing task is to get both those cars out to the drag strip this weekend and post your numbers. Would be particularly curious to see the trap speeds, which more nearly reflect HP than do ETs.

Thanks again.

Ranger

Just one day at the drags: best run 12.47 @ 117.4 mph with 60 ft. time of 2.05 on stock tires
Current dyno results (SAE) 345hp 349tq

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Thanks for the update but insn't 321 pretty low.My stock 99 SS got 311 rwhp and 324 rwtq.Just curious /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

J

·
0 Posts
GaryZ06 - different dyno, different day.
My 01 Z06 ran 337 RWHP with TPIS long tube headers and a Vortex Rammer and Power Duct. I think the 02 numbers look good. I've always been very skeptical of all those stock Zs running mid 340 numbers. I'm particularly pleased with the significant difference in torque above 5000 RPMs. That bodes well for good 1/4 mile times.

J

·
0 Posts
GaryZ06 - different dyno, different day.
My 01 Z06 ran 337 RWHP with TPIS long tube headers and a Vortex Rammer and Power Duct. I think the 02 numbers look good. I've always been very skeptical of all those stock Zs running mid 340 numbers. I'm particularly pleased with the significant difference in torque above 5000 RPMs. That bodes well for good 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Just as GM said -- the difference is above 4K RPMs due to slightly better breathing on the 02 from intake, cam/valves and exhaust changes. I would have actually expected alittle more difference, but this could be a 'strong' 01 and a 'weak' 02.

Was there more than one pull done for each car? Sometimes one pull is not always the best pull.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Having read all of the above posts, I am surprised at how "low" they are for both cars, IMHO. Given what a lot of people say about dynos, milage, different days etc., I still find it hard to reconcile these numbers. Since C&D has been the only one to post their own numbers, I am going to have to wait until forum members start posting 02 times. I definitely have the $ to go from my 01 to an 02----but WHY? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the actual values of the 'numbers'. Different dynos do different things. Just like it's sometime difficult to compare cars at different dragstrips. Some tracks and atmosphere are better than others.

What is important is the relative comparisons of the two engines.

Look at the charts as if the 'numbers' read from 0 to 100%. Then, the '01 is 95.2% of the '02 in hp, and 98.6% in torque.

Thanks for the info, shows the gains were mainly at the upper end /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Vince

·
Registered
206 Posts

On 2001-08-16 21:14, GaryZ06 spewed forth this drivel:
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD>Quote:</font><HR NOSHADE SIZE=1 COLOR=AAAAAA></TD></TR><TR><TD><BLOCKQUOTE><B>Since C&D has been the only one to post their own numbers
What numbers did they get?

</B></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR NOSHADE SIZE=1 COLOR=AAAAAA></TD></TR></TABLE>

02Z06
0-60 4.4
1/4 mile 12.7 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Let's see here...

factory specs:
'01 Z06 385hp - 15% driveline loss = 327.25rwhp
'02 Z06 405hp - 15% driveline loss = 344.25rwhp
difference in rwhp = 17hp.

todays results:
'01 Z06 321.0rwhp & 320.7 ft-lbs
'02 Z06 337.1rwhp & 325.1 ft-lbs.
difference in rwhp = 16.1hp

The important thing is that they are about right in peak hp difference and most important is evaluating the power curves on the graph.

As 1fastdog said, power in the '02 noticeable after 4000rpms... actually around 4500 rpms. From 4500 to 6500 the '02's power broaden where the 16.1hp difference shows at the very peak of the rpm range. Peak torque may only be approx 5 hp but from 4500 rpms to redline the '02's torque broadens to a decent 20hp difference.

1fastdog, did you expect the curve to be pretty much identical below 4000?

The 20hp difference is there. I was just hoping for more torque below 4000rpms really and maybe some more hp but guess if you look at the changes, they really couldn't come from anywhere since the cam is geared for the upper rpm range. GM said the pups were good for 5 hp so the rest came from the cam and intake changes. Interesting.

To be honest, I'm more impressed with Franks and FUBU's dyno numbers on their '01s when they dynoed on Breathless's dyno at BG and I dynoed my stock '01 on their same dyno in Ft. Laud. Sure it's a different dyno and different mods and people may argue about differences in meassured hp but the power curve is where the real info lies...

Franks and FUBU's Breathless dynos with an intake and exhaust change were very close considering they had similar mods and against my stock numbers as a baseline, they had approx a 10 hp and 10 ft-lbs torque advantage as low as 2800 rpms and kept broadening over mine all the way thru redline with approx 30hp and 20 ft-lbs of torque difference at 6300 rpms.

What I'm trying to say is that I was hoping for a 5hp and 5 ft-lb difference down low and to see the difference broaden all the way thru the range.

Thanks for the dyno and hope to get some more data to toss around soon with Les and I.

Don

On 2001-08-16 17:53, Zoomin spewed forth this drivel:
Consider the following when looking at these results:
1) The 01 had 1500 miles, the 02 had 1700.
2) Both cars are completely stock.
3) Same dyno, same operator.
4) Nearly the same break in procedure.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That is great info...

So it looks like the only advantage, is about 15 RWHP (which is great) above 4,500 RPM's.

The TQ is only a gain of 5 RWTQ, above 4500, down low... the '01 is as good, or better... and that is what I figured for Solo2 '01's will be fine... because it is all about TQ off the corners.

I don't care about the actual numbers... both seem low to me... but Same Dyno, , Same Day... Says this is GREAT Info!

Congrats to Both of you!

PS... When was the '01 Purchased, and the '02?
Thanks!
Dave

My next Favorite place, www.SCCAForums.com

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

On 2001-08-16 22:14, fcalmes spewed forth this drivel:
Makes me want to go out and spank an '02!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Frank - now we can have Z06 vs Z06 kill stories /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

This is gonna get fun real fast /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Vince

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

On 2001-08-16 19:29, GaryZ06 spewed forth this drivel:
Thanks for the update but insn't 321 pretty low.My stock 99 SS got 311 rwhp and 324 rwtq.Just curious /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

We thought they might be low too in light of what we had seen of other Z06 dynos. Back in May, my 99 SS with B+B cat back and Whisper Lid got 298 hp / 299 lb on this same dyno. I think the important thing is to look at the results relative to each other. I don't think the numbers are far off. We also dynoed a stock 2001 auto coupe with 3000 miles and he came in with 284 hp.

The dyno operator had three observations:

1) Both cars having low mileage have not "loosened up" and may have 7 to 10 more hp in them after 5000 mile mark.

2) The jagged lines in the graphs are also indicative of "new" engines. As they get broken in the lines will smooth.

3) The drop offs around the 4700 range for both cars may be attributable to the computer and again this will go away later.

We did two runs each, but for purposes of comparison I used the first run for each car to keep the other factors out of the equation. For example, on our second runs we opened the air box up to see how restrcitive those might be.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dave - the 01 was purchased 6/25 and the 02 was late last month. The 02 belongs to "Frisky" of this forum.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have seen the same car on different dyno's a week apart show a 40+ rwhp difference, dyno's are great for base numbers and then using the same dyno to see what mods add, you just never know which numbers to believe. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

1 - 20 of 40 Posts