Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Well, I slammed my newly acquired 01 over the weekend. After test driving the car, I found it rides horribly. I believe the shocks are bottoming out. I lowered my 02 the same and it didn't bottom the shocks. I know the valving in the shocks was changed between the years but was the travel changed also?

Would going to an 04 or Bilstein shock take care of this problem?

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
10,998 Posts
Yes definitely, Everything I have read here (I read almost everything) says that the 04's a much better than my 01's but not noticeably better than an 02 or 03.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
panzer said:
Yes definitely, Everything I have read here (I read almost everything) says that the 04's a much better than my 01's but not noticeably better than an 02 or 03.
Do you know if the travel will be an issue? I don't want to buy 04s and have them bottom out on me as well.

Thanks again.

·
21,354 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
Do you know if the travel will be an issue? I don't want to buy 04s and have them bottom out on me as well.

Thanks again.
Norman, I think the shock travel would be the same for the 01s and 04's. If you've lowered to the point that the car is resting on the jounce bumpers, then you will need a shock that has more travel or shorter jounce bumpers for a given length. I understand that the Bilsteins fill the bill. But, not having them on my car I can't say for certain.

·
10,998 Posts
The Bilstein's are better in that they are adjustable but much much more expensive.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
panzer said:
Actually while the '02s and '03s are slightly better than 01 shocks, the 04s are a big step up for 02s and 03s too. However, you need to be really pushing the Z (ie conditions where you were lifting tires before), to see the real difference.

Norm,

I agree with Jub Jub, the shock travel length is the same for all years. How far did you drop this puppy?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Norman, Maybe it doesn't ride as bad as you think. You are just use to that Cadillac ride of your new 2005 Vette. :p

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's lowered EXACTLY the same as my 02.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check it out more tonight.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Another Comment from the peanut gallery...

IMO, the 04 shocks are a Substantial update from the 02 shocks. You don't have to push it at all. The Improvement was evident to me on my 02 immediately, on local roads, in around town driving.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Seeing your other thread, I'm guessing you're buying new shocks soon... You've mentioned that you might be going a little crazy on this car (twin-turbo possbily). From what I've heard the Bilsteins are not good for high-power cars. Five0Joe replaced his with QA1's because they were too soft and would bottom out when he launched. I have the Bilsteins and they work well for my car's power, but they're not adjustable. :z:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Norm, I hope you changed the end links to the later non-plastic models. That makes a big difference, as will the '04 shocks but I have heard you should limit the drop to 15mm if using the '04s. I have done all of that to my 2000 FRC and love it.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts