Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I just got my Z06 about a month ago.The car is in great shape with only 39k miles. After driving for over an hour or so the car starts making a buzzing noise from the passenger side rear quarter panel. If I turn the car off it still makes the noise, if I push the window power button the sound changes tones, and when I turn the engine off and pull the key out of ignition the sound gets louder. The only way to get it to stop is to wait about 30 minutes. If I unplug the battery the noise will stop, but if in hook the battery back up the noise come right back on. Any ideas? I have a video of sound.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
Is it possible a past owner installed a external tranny cooler cooler and is thermal controlled ?

There is really nothing in the right rear that would make that sound, to me like a cooler pump

I would jack up the ass end and focus down to where that sound is coming from

Look at the fill and drain plugs of tranny and see if there were added cooling lines and if so are
they headed to where the loud sound ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You
Is it possible a past owner installed a external tranny cooler cooler and is thermal controlled ?

There is really nothing in the right rear that would make that sound, to me like a cooler pump

I would jack up the ass end and focus down to where that sound is coming from

Look at the fill and drain plugs of tranny and see if there were added cooling lines and if so are
they headed to where the loud sound ?
You nailed it! I keep finding goodies that the previous owner wasn’t aware about either. I think the owner before him installed everything. Thank you so much for the advice!

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
I understand whoever installed this wanted the tranny cooling pump to be on when engine is off to allow cooling fluid down between track runs but there should be a master power switch to allow turning off that relay you see on the left of pump
Possible there is one but you need to find it or if not one add one

Also looks like the cooler maybe in the front of C5 and due to that there is a lot of fluid and over the years the fluid level in tranny might be low so I suggest you check tranny fluid level and solve the pump on when you do not want it on as dragging battery down when no need to run pump

Maybe look on case of tranny for a thermal switch which is controlling when relay is engaged. and at what temp that control turns relay on and maybe put a higher temp one in but again I would look for some master power switch in dash area ?

Looks like the right side rocker area is where the hoses and wiring runs from back to front so should be easy to look at rocker opening at right front inner fender and trace where the wiring goes to find a master power switch to relay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve been wondering the same thing about a kill switch. I will have to track it down like you said. Thank you for the great info and knowledge!

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
If the cooler is up front then there is a lot of fluid in those round-trip hose lengths and depending on when this cooler was installed that fluid could be too old and need replacing

Also the pump will be louder if it has lost it's prime so you need to assure the fluid is flowing
To make that easier to see as what I did is install a glass filter like one for gas inline so when fluid is flowing you could far easier look to see movement of fluid

If you replace all the fluid with new Mobil I synthetic tranny fluid you need to assure proper volume by having pump on and watching to see if the fluid level is properly filled.
If there is a thermal sensor you could short the 2 wires for it to force the cooler relay on when fluid is cold to do your fluid volume check.

Keep in mind the pump is a "pusher" type, not a puller so the pump has to be lower then tranny is so the fluid by gravity flows down to pump that then will push the fluid through all of cooler and back into the fill side of tranny which is located high on left side

Really would be best to add in drivers area a electric temp gauge hooked up to the thermal sensor on tranny case so you then would know at what temp the sensor commands relay of cooler pump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts