Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this car an oil burner, the vin# is 1G1YY125715111304. Also what else can you tell me about the car? Any and all help is apprecaited.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
The only way you will tell if the car is a oil burner, is to drive it such that the car burns oil.. ;)

I know that sounds like a facetious answer, but the truth is, if you are a lead foot (like me) and spend a lot of time above about 3500rpm in the lower gears and cruise in 4th at about 3000rpm + and generally drive it like you stole it... then the oil consumption issue will occur.

If you are a gentle cruising type (like I have becoem now that I run headers and no mufflers) then burbling along at 2200 in 5th will let you leave the oil where it belongs.

However, since I bought the car to drive and chose to operate it within the accepted bounds (below red line) then while the car was in warranty I battled until they gave me a new engine.

Over all you should be fine.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Have a dealer run your VIN and check the history of the car. It may already have been re-ringed. Likewise go to mygm.com, register and put in your VIN and see the history. Otherwise I agree with the above. Drive it and enjoy and see what happens. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't they fix the oil burning problem half way through the 01 year? Is there no way to tell if the car was one of the later ones that didn't have the problem? The car is at a carlot right now for $37,900 which i'm aware is way to much but it's only got 3500 miles and it's supercharged(procharged i believe). So if the car is for sure an oilburner and since the s/c will void the warranty i just want to know forsure if it has the problem or not. Either way thanks for your guys advice, i'll try that mygm.com website and see what i can find out. :guiness:

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
git_sum said:
Didn't they fix the oil burning problem half way through the 01 year? Is there no way to tell if the car was one of the later ones that didn't have the problem? The car is at a carlot right now for $37,900 which i'm aware is way to much but it's only got 3500 miles and it's supercharged(procharged i believe). So if the car is for sure an oilburner and since the s/c will void the warranty i just want to know forsure if it has the problem or not. Either way thanks for your guys advice, i'll try that mygm.com website and see what i can find out. :guiness:
I wonder why someone would buy a Z06, supercharge it, and only put 3500 miles on it, in 4 years??? I'm not telling you not to buy this car, but I'd be suspicious. Then again, who knows, maybe the car is perfect. Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
230 Posts
My 2001 is serial # 1G1YY12S315122493. I have no oil consumption problem and the oil rings have not been replaced. I completely agree with then above posts as far as high RPM operation of the vehicle. If it has had the dog-hit run out of it, it is an oil burner, and it will become readily apparent within 500 miles. If you buy it from a dealer, insist on a six month warranty. The minute that you observe oil consumption, report it and they will do the ring job. Just make sure that they have a Corvette trained mechanic on their service crew before you buy. Otherwise your quarter panels may no longer align after they put it on the lift without jacking pucks. I'm not parting with my 01 until I get my 08 Z06. This car is a BLAST!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They said the car is perfect but who knows. The same dealership also has a QS 2002 Z06 with 10k miles with a D1-SC procharger that i might look at but i don't know if it will be around when i get my car sold but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
For that price I would walk away fast.. way too much.. even with the S/C..

Ernie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ernie King said:
For that price I would walk away fast.. way too much.. even with the S/C..

Ernie
I plan on making a low ball offer of around 31k at first. They said they would come down on the price but i'm just worried about the oil burning thing with the s/c and getting it fixed with the voided warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Uhm - it's '01 and would there for be way out of warranty already - unless the in-service date is sometime in 2002.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I agree with Vant. Buying a 4 year old supercharged Z with such low mileage. Personally I wouldn't--unless they let me take it to my mechanic for a full check to include a compression and bleed down!!!! Be very cautious. :bs:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I believe all the above is inconclusive. Some consumed oil right away, some in here didn't have an issue till over 15,000 miles. Compression and bleed down won't really determine if it will consume oil. Only safe bet really is to assume it will, and figure what it will cost you to rering the engine. Then make an offer.

As far as low milage supercharged, some only get to use their cars on special occasions, like me. I've only got 9,000 miles after all these years.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Have the heads ported before you throw them on! :usa:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
1G1YY12S715111304
08/09/2004
343316 # J1307 - PISTON, ROD AND/OR RINGS - ONE CYL - BOTH BANKS - REPLACE 3216 miles

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'll sell you my '01 for $29,900 with 10,000 miles left on the warranty (May '06). If you don't want this one with a replaced piston! It has 50,900 miles on it without the oil problem.

I'm serious by the way. I just put mine up for sale today.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
FRC Tom said:
1G1YY12S715111304
08/09/2004
343316 # J1307 - PISTON, ROD AND/OR RINGS - ONE CYL - BOTH BANKS - REPLACE 3216 miles
Tom - just for sh*ts and grins we should pull the service history on my car... ;)

I am guessing it could be used as "show and tell" for every TSB, recall and repair in the book.. heheh :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
read all the
tsb's and threads on this site about the issue..that will take you several weeks..
mine had a valley cover seal and breather prob..warranty fix..uses a qt about every 1500-2000 mi..
good luck
superchargers ....don't help with consumption issues

:z:

·
Registered
229 Posts
J1307 is the gm code for the ring change,mine had it done at 10k miles and it is listed the same way on the warranty claim history printout you can get at the dealer.it does not mean that a piston/rod was changed.but of course it is possible if a problem was found.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts