Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so it was my lightly modded '01 against a friends stock '02 with 450 miles on it, but I smoked it. :p

Actually the '02s are wicked fast bone stock. We only did a 3rd gear pull from about 70 to 90 mph, but I only pulled a car length or so. :eek: Every other stock or lightly modded C5 I have ever done this with was waaaay behind on a 3rd gear pull. At Route 66 in Joliet a couple of weeks ago I ran against a stock '02 that did a 118 mph trap. Think about that! Very WICKED!!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Question

I have been following the '01, v.s. '02 battles as ( few that they are)........and I am NOT seeing the VAST superiority of the 02 as opposed to the 01.
The base HP dyno figures, are near same, and the good drivers are doing at( better) or very near the very best '02 times........(stock)......
I'm sorry, but 12-15 extra HP at the rear wheels, will not blow anybody away, given an equal start/launch...........
What am I missing here?????.
No disrespect intended, as we are all Bro's here.......but IF you show me the UNQUESTIONABLE vast superiority of speed, and slips.....I will stick w/ the '01........
If it turns out the '02's are MURDER's.......then I will shelve the '01, and get an '02.................:-?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
N4,

YES SIR, I UNDERSTAND......BUT.......MY QUESTIONS WERE NOT ADDRESSED..........DO YOU SEE THE supposed ENORMOUS DIFFERENCES??
Sorry for the caps........the shift, and caps keys are on top of each other!!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
The answer is, probably not much. But most ppl here are about maximum performance right? They live for the extra .1 in the quarter or 5hp on the dyno so upgrading to the 02 raises the bar, ie, the same mods give more bottom line HP (in most cases) and I can tell you from driving FUBU's 02 for over 300 miles that the 02 IS more refined in many subtle ways, from drivetrain to interior......

If you have the cash, I recommend you pick up the 02 and keep trading up yearly to minimize the lost cash in turnover.

If you're like me, and can't do it right now, hang in there to 03, while there may only be another 5hp on the table at GM, there are sure to be many more small refinements just like the 02. 04/05? Well, we'll just have to wait and see what that brings ;)

JC

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might be wrong, but I haven't seen an '01 stock with anything near a 118 trap speed. I also know that DRM took an '02 with just a Donaldson and pcm reprog and got 368 rwhp. Most '01s they tested with a Donaldson (no reprog.) were in the 330s on the same dyno. Figure another 10 or so for a reprog. and on their dyno you are still in the 340s, maybe low 350s. Another 20 or so rwhp for the '02s is huge. I also think the '02s are pretty awesome to run a 118 trap stock. I'm old enough to remember muscle cars that could barely break 100 in the 1/4. We are livin in some good times for fast cars.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There were 4 Z06s at Cecil County last weekend, mine and 3 others. Of all the runs that I watched none of the 01s were able to break into the 12s. The track was cold all morning and the SC tires were not gripping well. My best was a 12.500 at 116.7 with a 2.07 60 foot - on that run I was getting spin and wheel hop in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
EB

You told us what the '01 were not doing, so what where the '02's doing?????/
Or were there any amongst the crowd?:)

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again, the DRIVER is a bigger factor than the Hp differance. Heck, put grandma in a Z06 and jr in a hyundai and I bet jr will win! We can only hope that ANYONE who owns a Zee can at LEAST drive with average abilities?? Sorry for my "most humble opinion" and while that may or may not be the case here. I still feel it is relavent in many cases posted here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll: :roll: :roll: Bill

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Rippied.Z06 said:
Ok, so it was my lightly modded '01 against a friends stock '02 with 450 miles on it, but I smoked it. :p

Actually the '02s are wicked fast bone stock. We only did a 3rd gear pull from about 70 to 90 mph, but I only pulled a car length or so. :eek: Every other stock or lightly modded C5 I have ever done this with was waaaay behind on a 3rd gear pull. At Route 66 in Joliet a couple of weeks ago I ran against a stock '02 that did a 118 mph trap. Think about that! Very WICKED!!!
Lightly moded? Let me see. Thats: DRM long tube headers, cam, CNC heads, Crane 1.8 rockers, 10.9 to 1 compression ratio, Donaldson LS6, Corsa Indys, Euro tail lights, B&M Ripper, 496 crank hp, 421.7 rwhp, 483 crank torque, 410.6 rwt (Mustang Dyno) Minneapolis,Mn Top Speed: an indicated 177 mph; 1/4 12.3 @ 121. I can't wait until you encounter a "lightly moded " 2002 Z06.

Z06Y Lady, Digesting the meaning of lightly moded. I thought lightly moded meant fuzzy dice and spinner hubcaps .

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I went for the blue, and the much larger down payment for waiting (then the bonus of killer interest rates too).
chris

·
Registered
680 Posts
Had um Both

I've had um both....and Like um both......BUT, like JC said, the 02 is more refined. The ride, pull, exhaust note not to mention a couple of minor interior fixes are better on the 02 (just like the 03 will be better than the 02 ;) ) Progress is good, and we are all Bros, and drive (in my opinion) the BEST Damn American car on the road.....period. If your Vette has "Z06" on the side badge, then you are feeling the Best of what a Vette is, no matter what year you own.......Just my 0.2 :cheers:

:z: :z: :z: :z: :z: :z: :z:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Rippied.Z06 said:

Okay, okay let's be nice here Ron. I misshifted, I had only 450 miles on it and I'm just a female. What more do you want? Give me awhile to get used to this monster and we'll do it again. It is a huge difference going from a '94 350 hp automatic to a '02 405 hp with a six-speed. This car is a little intimidating at first, but I think I'm going to love it!:z:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Heck, put grandma in a Z06 and jr in a hyundai and I bet jr will win!
Okay, how much do you want to bet? I'm the grandma with the '02 Z06 so where is the kid with the hyundai???:p

·
Registered
528 Posts
Re: Re: '01 Z06 smokes '02 Z06!

Blue Lady said:
'94 350 hp
:-? :-? Modded????

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hopefully next years events at bowling green in sept. will enable some real comparisons with enough results at the same track and autocross.
In the meantime only real men who like to live on the edge buy the first year.
:puke:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rippied.Z06 said:

:-?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts