Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today, I finally ran on a track where they don't make you drive through the water when staging. As a result my 60' foot times improved substantially on the stock F1SCs and my ETs dropped accordingly.

Track was Cecil County dragway in northeast Maryland. Only got four runs. Here are the best two.

60'............1.856
330'..........5.170
660'..........7.885 @ 91.45
1000'......10.191
1320'......12.145 @115.85
Density Alt: 1703 Feet

60'............1.834
330'..........5.141
660'..........7.889 @ 90.65
1000'......10.215
1320'......12.170 @115.53
Density Alt: 1421 Feet

Stock shifter. Only mod is a Halltech Tric.

EDIT: By request in a reply below, here is a link to an 448Kb image I took of the time slips. In this size they are legible. But don't open it unless you're willing to wait for the download.

Ranger's 12.14 Timeslip

I was really surprised at the these times and will try this place again this fall when the air is better.

BTW, I put the car on the scales at the track. It weights 3095 with an indicated half tank of gas.

Best to all,

Ranger

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Excellent times! Looks like a set of slicks will put you into the 11s. :cheers:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
N4C5S said:
Got a timeslip?

JC
Time slips I have. A scanner I don't have. I can try to take a digit pic but I'm not sure how legible it will be.

Here is a link to an 448Kb image I took of the time slips. In this size they are legible. But don't open it unless you're willing to wait for the download.

Ranger's 12.14 Timeslip

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ranger,

Great job! :D

Maybe someday I can drive like that!

2k :guiness:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cecil County Dragway is a Professional Operation

Z062NV said:
Way to go, Ranger!!!!!! Congrats!
Z062NV,

I know Cecil County is a long way for you but I recall your saying you'd run there before pre-Z06. Anyway, I suggest you make it a point to get up there this fall when the density altitude is more favorable. On that track with your feel for the launch in your Z06, I suspect you'll surprise even yourself with your ETs and traps.

My days of running at Capitol are about over. Their requirement that everyone MUST drive through the water kills the times. I may spectate there however.

Ranger

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Awesome times Ranger! I'm still trying to make time to get out and see you guys race and one of these days I'll jump in as well.

How did your dyno turn out at Carlisle?

Hey Have you sent your times to Jim Hall? Is he still giving away the polo's or Tee's for the TRIC 12 second club? Maybe it's a polo for the 11 sec club:D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nice times, hope to see you at 75/80 sept 15th. I am planning on comming but my workload is not looking good. I will figure out something and try to make it. Where is cecil dragway??

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Carlisle Dyno Results

dbvettez06, Am hoping one day to get side by side with a Viper. Hopefully one with minimal mods like mine is.

MiZ06 said:
Awesome times Ranger!

How did your dyno turn out at Carlisle?
MiZ06, Thanks. I believe Jim Hall put my times up on his web site. I'm looking forward to the cooler weather up at Cecil County Dragway this fall.

At Carlisle on the Dynotek Mobile Chassis Dyno (with hood up) my car made SAE 347 rwhp and 347 rwtq. That's consistent with the numbers in my signature which are from my reference dyno site.

Ben FR, Thanks, man. Car isn't stock. It has a Halltech Tric bottom breather air intake. Just trying to be clear on that point. I plan to finish this season with no additional mods whatsoever.

BADASSZ06, Hope you can make the All Corvette Day at 75/80. Should be a great time and good opportunity to run your car.

fcalmes, Thanks. That was my first time on a good, well-prepared (that means sticky) track. A 60' time in the 1.75s is what's needed to break under 12.00. Car is capable of that. We'll see if I am.

Best to all,

Ranger

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Ranger,

Awesome times. Can you please describe your launch technique in detail?

I ran last night at a very sticky track and had a horrible problem with wheel hop with a 2000 RPM launch. :( My wheel hop was so bad on the second run (in competitive mode) that the DIC displayed an ABS system failure, have ABS system serviced message. I read the IPC code and it was (C1228H). C1228 = RR Excessive Wheel Speed Variation. Makes sense, my right rear wheel was hopping like mad!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Launch Techniques

pmontelo said:
Ranger, Awesome times. Can you please describe your launch technique in detail?... had a horrible problem with wheel hop with a 2000 RPM launch
pmontelo,

Hate that wheel hop.

Not claiming my technique is the best one. But here's what I'm doing.

First off, select the best prepared and professionally run track in your area, even if it's a longer drive. Your times will be better; the racers will be more experienced; and someone will usually have a pocket weather station to give you the density altitude at the times of your runs.

Stage: Windows up. COMPETITION DRIVING set. Radio off. AC off. I spin the stock F1SC tires for a second or two to clean them off. I was running 23 lbs in the rear and 42 lbs up front. I shallow staged, barely tripping the second set of bulbs.

Launch: I hold 1800-2800 rpm, depending on traction/track conditions, and quickly release the clutch with full engagement occurring in the first 2'-10'. I let the tires hook before going to WOT. I can usually get to WOT leaving less than 10' of rubber. This takes practice that's best done away from the drag strip.

Shifting: I'm running the stock shifter. I do some slight throttle lift on the shifts particularly on the 1st-2d where it's easy to spin a lot. Was shifting 1st-2d and 2d-3d at an indicated 6300, because it revs so fast and need to stay off the limiter. The 3d-4th shift is at an indicated 6500. I've experimented with lower shift points and found it costs me a couple tenths in ET.

Two other things. I wear running shoes and believe their soles give me a little better feel for what the rear wheels are doing. Finally, I'm using the AC in recirc mode to fire up both fans before I enter the final staging area. I find this brings the H2O temp down to 194 just fine. I am receiving advice to go to a lower thermostat, but I want to finish the season with my single mod, the Halltech Tric.

I'm going to see if in cooler weather this fall, I can break through the 12.00 barrier on stock tires. Car is capable of it; I'm hoping I am. It will take a sub 1.80 60'; strong shifts to 2d and 3d with great hook, and a strong shift to 4th. This must occur with a DA around 400 feet. I'll be running at Cecil County Dragway or Maryland International Raceway.

Hope the info is what you need. If not email me with your phone number.

Ranger

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.