Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
01Z+Haltech+LT's=To lean? Need Help

Hi everyone,
I installed my Supermax LT's today. With those, I replaced the stock plugs with NGK TR6's (Future NX Kit) and MSD wires. Awhile back I put in a Haltech Stinger intake system. The 01 Z06 is stock other than that.
Now, upon crank up and test, the car was sputtering and wanting to stall. Idle RPM is around 400. I at first read only a P0301 (#1 cylinder missfire) code. I replaced the plug with a new one, and wire just in case. Later it read a P0174 (Bank to lean, Bank 2) code. My question is, could the Haltech, plus the LT's lean the car that far out to where even idle is affected?
The car was dynoed several months ago stock, and in the low RPM's the car was very rich. By the time it hit high RPM's the car was way to lean. I knew I needed Edit, and was going to get it after the headers. But didn't expect even the idle to be affected like this.
Something that occured during the install was, I impacted the braided fuel line with the header when putting it in. It kinda crimped it. I took a pair of plyers and carefully brought it back to shape. IMO, I could see how a small crimp could eat horsepower up high, but can't see it at idle.
So, there's my story, can anyone shed a little light. Also, I intend on replacing the fuel line. How do you get the stock braided line off? Looks like it takes a special tool?
Any and all help is appreciated.
TIA.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Evolution said:
Hi everyone,
I installed my Supermax LT's today. With those, I replaced the stock plugs with NGK TR6's (Future NX Kit) and MSD wires. Awhile back I put in a Haltech Stinger intake system. The 01 Z06 is stock other than that.
Now, upon crank up and test, the car was sputtering and wanting to stall. Idle RPM is around 400. I at first read only a P0301 (#1 cylinder missfire) code. I replaced the plug with a new one, and wire just in case. Later it read a P0174 (Bank to lean, Bank 2) code. My question is, could the Haltech, plus the LT's lean the car that far out to where even idle is affected?
The car was dynoed several months ago stock, and in the low RPM's the car was very rich. By the time it hit high RPM's the car was way to lean. I knew I needed Edit, and was going to get it after the headers. But didn't expect even the idle to be affected like this.
Something that occured during the install was, I impacted the braided fuel line with the header when putting it in. It kinda crimped it. I took a pair of plyers and carefully brought it back to shape. IMO, I could see how a small crimp could eat horsepower up high, but can't see it at idle.
So, there's my story, can anyone shed a little light. Also, I intend on replacing the fuel line. How do you get the stock braided line off? Looks like it takes a special tool?
Any and all help is appreciated.
TIA.
I must have gotten lucky on my SuperMaxx install :p I didn't have any of these issue's on my '03. I have the SuperMaxx's and a TRAP. After my install I scanned with HP Tuners and my fuel trims were in the +10 to +12 range, so it should not be so lean that it won't run. Have you checked to ensure that you didn't wire the 02's incorrectly? You may also want to check for vacuum and exhaust leaks. How old are your oxygen sensors?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
02's are 43K old. I considered that, but not running into the normal Cat type codes. Something I will probably change considering yours and others suggestions don't work. Checked and double checked the 02 wiring. I did cross the wiring to route them easier, but that is all. The rear 02's have different connetors then the front so not much chance of accidentally plugging one into a front port.
Someone has suggested a leak near the rear of the header flange, sucking in un-burnt air and the 02's reading the air wrong, thus the computer compesating wrong. It's something I'll check today. I'll be checking the entire install for a vacuum leak today. Then bang my head on the wall if it doesn't work. :D Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You may want to check out this link. It's from the service manual pertaining to this DTC. I know it's beneficial to me to walk through a check list to ensure I didn't miss something.

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic10358.php

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, here's the latest. I checked all the header bolts, and checked for a leak by the flange. Couldn't find anything. Made sure all bolts were tight when putting them back.
Cranked the car, let idle. Rough idle all the way around. Once it warmed up the car went to about 500 rpms and sat there. Surging occured to around 1100 rpms twice every once and awhile. After the car warmed up, it smelt heavily with gas in the garage. So the car is definately running way rich. But the computer is reading lean codes in Bank 2.
I did cross the wiring of the banks due to the route the wires run with this system. So Bank 2 is really the drivers side now.
I checked the Stinger induction, tight seal. Installed again. Nothing loose. Couldn't find a air leak anywhere. Car is acting the same as the first time.
Banging my head on the wall at this point.
Anymore ideas?

405Hp Z06, will check that out. Thanks much.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
405HP Z06, :cheers: thank you very much for that link. Basically, I have a leak in the exhaust (forward of the cats), Induction or Crankcase. Fuel deleivery or leak problem. Maybe a 02 sensor problem.
Well, looks like I'm off to pick up a complete set of Bosch 02's then. Good starting area I suppose.
Thanks for the help, and please any and all suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Evolution said:
Okay, here's the latest. I checked all the header bolts, and checked for a leak by the flange. Couldn't find anything. Made sure all bolts were tight when putting them back.
Cranked the car, let idle. Rough idle all the way around. Once it warmed up the car went to about 500 rpms and sat there. Surging occured to around 1100 rpms twice every once and awhile. After the car warmed up, it smelt heavily with gas in the garage. So the car is definately running way rich. But the computer is reading lean codes in Bank 2.
I did cross the wiring of the banks due to the route the wires run with this system. So Bank 2 is really the drivers side now.
I checked the Stinger induction, tight seal. Installed again. Nothing loose. Couldn't find a air leak anywhere. Car is acting the same as the first time.
Banging my head on the wall at this point.
Anymore ideas?

405Hp Z06, will check that out. Thanks much.
So when you say you crossed the front O2 sensor wires for routing reasons are you saying that the wires on the drivers side of the chassis coming from the car wiring harness are connecting to the passenger side oxygen sensor? If this is the way you have the oxygen sensor wires, you need to reverse them.

The way the front oxygen sensors should be connected>

Drivers side chassis wires connect to drivers side oxygen sensor
Passanger side chassis wires connect to passenger side oxygen sensor

The wires may LOOK crossed due to space constraints but each respective side should be connected to itself.

I hope I explained this correctly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Switch sides on your front O2s, left to right and right to left and you'll be fine...

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
undy said:
Switch sides on your front O2s, left to right and right to left and you'll be fine...
I agree, give this a try before buying anything. It sure sounds like you have them reversed. Good Luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I get what you guys are saying. I have the driver side 02's (front and back) going to the passenger side harness. After attempting to hook them up, that gave me just enuff wiring to actually get the wires to connect length wise.
I don't have, say the drivers front, hooked with the passenger rear. According to the Distructions, you can do this without problem. However, I do get and have thought about this being a problem. I just don't have enuff length in the wiring to accomplish it. I just brought home Bosch sensors, the wiring is just a tad longer so hopefully I can get the sides correct.
Don't get me wrong, normally I would not have done that, but the only way the wires were getting to each individual side was to have them touch the headers. I haven't heard of any problems like this, so I just don't get it with mine.
Going to hook them up now and re-route the wires. Crossing your fingers might help.
Thank you.

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I may be really mixed up, but you have to have the front and rear drivers side O2's on the drivers side and the passenger side in the passenger!!
If the PCM is reading a lean condition on the passenger side bank and changes the injector flow rate on 2-4-6-8 and it is really reading cylinder 1-3-5-7 info how the hell do you expect the car to run???????????

Ken

·
Registered
203 Posts
Evolution said:
I think I get what you guys are saying. I have the driver side 02's (front and back) going to the passenger side harness. After attempting to hook them up, that gave me just enuff wiring to actually get the wires to connect length wise.
I don't have, say the drivers front, hooked with the passenger rear. According to the Distructions, you can do this without problem. However, I do get and have thought about this being a problem. I just don't have enuff length in the wiring to accomplish it. I just brought home Bosch sensors, the wiring is just a tad longer so hopefully I can get the sides correct.
Don't get me wrong, normally I would not have done that, but the only way the wires were getting to each individual side was to have them touch the headers. I haven't heard of any problems like this, so I just don't get it with mine.
Going to hook them up now and re-route the wires. Crossing your fingers might help.
Thank you.
There is enough length in the wires, it's just very tight especially in the rear. You will have to move the harness around until you get all the wiring to fit correctly. Just make sure that all wires are WAY away from the headers. It took me about 4 hours just to route the wires to ensure that they wouldn't touch.

Good luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, back to the cluster. It's fixed. I want to thank everyone who helped with your suggestions. I really do appreciate it. :cheers: Especially you 405HP Z06.

I unhooked, and managed to hook the 02s up right. They did touch the headers on both sides, but I wanted to see. I have no clue how I could get them around the headers while not touching. I tried and tried but they just didn't have the length. I beleive you, don't get me wrong. But after trying I just sat there like this :eek2: So, I let them touch and before melting, they did bring the car back a little. Still smelling rich, still a litte stumbling, still a waivering idle, but better. So, I pull them out and they were pitch black burnt. Natural when you think how rich the car was running I suppose. So, possibly hooking them up in the correct places might have been to late for the poor things. A project I probably could have avoided.
I hooked the Bosch sensors in. First may I say that they give you all you need and a tad more to run the sensors in the stock locations for the rear. On the front, with the extensions, I covered with a Taylor spark plug boots to protect the wires from the heat and zip tied them up to the backbone brace via a couple well placed drill holes.
Cranked it up, and what do you know :idea: , the damn thing ran fine. Well, dumbass me and those Supermaxx Distructions. :crazy: Took it out on the road and it ran like a raped ape.
So, thank you and I will consider this a lesson well learned. The first and last time I try that crap.
Thank you,
William

·
Registered
203 Posts
Evolution said:
Alright, back to the cluster. It's fixed. I want to thank everyone who helped with your suggestions. I really do appreciate it. :cheers: Especially you 405HP Z06.

I unhooked, and managed to hook the 02s up right. They did touch the headers on both sides, but I wanted to see. I have no clue how I could get them around the headers while not touching. I tried and tried but they just didn't have the length. I beleive you, don't get me wrong. But after trying I just sat there like this :eek2: So, I let them touch and before melting, they did bring the car back a little. Still smelling rich, still a litte stumbling, still a waivering idle, but better. So, I pull them out and they were pitch black burnt. Natural when you think how rich the car was running I suppose. So, possibly hooking them up in the correct places might have been to late for the poor things. A project I probably could have avoided.
I hooked the Bosch sensors in. First may I say that they give you all you need and a tad more to run the sensors in the stock locations for the rear. On the front, with the extensions, I covered with a Taylor spark plug boots to protect the wires from the heat and zip tied them up to the backbone brace via a couple well placed drill holes.
Cranked it up, and what do you know :idea: , the damn thing ran fine. Well, dumbass me and those Supermaxx Distructions. :crazy: Took it out on the road and it ran like a raped ape.
So, thank you and I will consider this a lesson well learned. The first and last time I try that crap.
Thank you,
William
Glad that's all it was! It's really great to have such a good group of people here. It would be difficult having to figure out all these issues by myself. I can't thank all the people that have helped me in the past enough. Sometimes modifying a car can be :mah: but it's all worth it in the end, now go and put some miles on that thing. You could benefit from a good tune, but should run well without it.

:zboobie: :z: rules!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I cut and spliced/soldered in wire extensions in the factory wiring harness. I covered all the wires from the engine bay all the way back to the O2s with high temp reflective sleeving. With plenty of wire it's very easy the route them safely.

If it's any consolation I crossed the O2s on my installation. Unfortunately for me there wasn't anyone around yet that had run into the problem on this board.. Knowledge is power!! :thumb:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
405HP_Z06 said:
Glad that's all it was! It's really great to have such a good group of people here. It would be difficult having to figure out all these issues by myself. I can't thank all the people that have helped me in the past enough. Sometimes modifying a car can be :mah: but it's all worth it in the end, now go and put some miles on that thing. You could benefit from a good tune, but should run well without it.

:zboobie: :z: rules!
I agree, :thumb: the board is very helpfull. Without it, the problem is even more frustrating. And I booked a tune on thursday. Hoping for some good #s.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
undy said:
I cut and spliced/soldered in wire extensions in the factory wiring harness. I covered all the wires from the engine bay all the way back to the O2s with high temp reflective sleeving. With plenty of wire it's very easy the route them safely.

If it's any consolation I crossed the O2s on my installation. Unfortunately for me there wasn't anyone around yet that had run into the problem on this board.. Knowledge is power!! :thumb:
And beleive me, I appreciate the suffering I'm sure you went through. Solving this in two days on my off time from life was frustrating enough. Can only imagine no resources at all. Coming up empty would have just meant more of this. :crazy:

Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts