Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, My order gets taken in about 1-2 weeks. What has been the experience for those of you that have already received your 02 Z06's, How long did it take from the time your order was taken/accepted to actual delivery time.

I would like to know what I am in for.

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
There's no good way to answer this question. A lot of factors enter into the equation ... whether your order is 'real' or a 'request', whether the dealer gets an allocation, WHEN they get the allocation, etc. Your dealer knows how many Corvettes they will get this year, and they know how many people are ahead of you in line. This makes them the best source of information on how long the process should take. IMHO, a good dealer will be glad to share this kind of information with you.

If you feel your dealer is evading your questions, you may want to widen your search.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jerry,

I will be ordering w/Rick Conti from Spitzer. He has been honest w/me telling me there are people ahead of me and that my order wont be taken for 1 or 2 weeks yet.

Maybe I should ask how long it takes once the factory accepts your order ??

·
Registered
219 Posts
It helps to know somebody. My entire process from the day I oredered at the dealer to delivery was just over 4 weeks. I had inside help. Probably not what you wanted to hear. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Indeed, this can be a very frustrating experience, where patience can be a virtue.

Frankly, I don't understand why "the process" has to be this way. IMO, dealers should not be so eager to sell a car that #1, they don't have to sell, or #2, they don't know whey they can deliver what they have already sold.

In the business real world that I know, it is simply bad business to take an order (or a
deposit in advance) for the product without a "commitment" in return to deliver by a certain date. A "sale" is almost always entirely predicated on receiving a seller's commitment on "delivery". You just can't expect to get one without the other.

Not so if you're a prospective buyer of a Z06. But, what's the alternative? We can buy a light truck or an SUV, like millions of other people. Nope, not for me, and I'm afraid if you want one these cars and you're not fortunate enough to live near the world's largest volume Chevy Corvette dlr whose policy is only to sell at MSRP (or perhaps less), then you are just SOL.

Your only recourse is to put down a deposit and wait, Wait, WAIT!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
764 Posts
RatedZ,

Spitzer has a large Corvette allocation so Rick Conti should get you a car fairly quickly. I found Rick to be honest and very knowledgeable. If your attempting to order a "constrained" color (Blue or yellow), then the wait will be longer and less predictable. If your choosing any other color I would guess about 6 weeks for delivery after Spitzer has their order accepted (3100 status).

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Mark

·
Registered
331 Posts
hey rated z,
what color are you going to get??? i have been waiting for allocation for m. yellow for over a month and a half.... starting to get antzzzzz.........lol
p.s. at spitzer also............ and rick too boot!!!! good guy. i still cant figure out why other dealers keep getting allocation for my but not spitzer???????????? i check the web site dailey!!!!! good luck!!! especially if you want MY..the line forms to the left!!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ZOSICK6

I am getting red (I hope) . I am also still waiting on Rick. I live in NY so have only spoken w/him on the phone. Seems like a nice guy. If he lives up to his reputation and his word , I am sure I will be happy.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The answer is allocation, allocation, allocation. I had an order with a dealer for 2 1/2 months and we never got an order placed. I switched to a dealer with lots of Z06 allocations and this was my sequence:

Order accepted by dealer 7/10
Order in POMS order system 7/24
Order status 2500 7/25
Order status 3000 7/29
Order status 3100 8/1
TPW 8/20
Delivery at Museum 2 to 3 weeks later.

Bottom line: July 10 to September 10.

jerboa /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Jerboa is right. Some dealer are all to happy to take your deposit in return for in effect a "request to order" the car based on a future allocation they may expect to get. But this is hardly a guarantee. Some dealers must have a lot of clout to get allocations and other don't. If they sold a lot of Corvette during MY'01, then they should get a large allocation for MY'02 and approximately 1 out 5 Corvettes should be a Z06 allocation.

Dealer's may also set up a "waiting list" for these cars and may have intentionally taken more "requests" than they are likely to have allocations. They may do this because some people on the list later cancel, can't get financing, relocate, buy some other car, or just plain change their minds. So, the dealer goes further down the list until he finds someone else willing to take the same car.

Then too, when the dealer calls the next person on the list, if he does not respond IMMEDIATELY and report to dealership and pay for the car, he may very well give up his
place on the list.

There is potential for a lot of shenanigans in all this. It's possible somebody walks in to the dealership out of the blue and outright bribes the dealer (i.e. pays a high mark up) in order to get a car without as little waiting as possible.

Us hapless Z06 prospective owners here in CA are really behind the eight ball. Because the dealers around here (NorCal) all have put these cars up for grabs at very high mark ups. They probably would refuse to take an advance order request in return for a several thousand dollars in deposit for anything less than $5k over sticker.

Many of us refuse to buy a car marked up even a little over MSRP, and refuse to bend over for such disreputable dealers, so we are forced to look and buy elsewhere and in some cases that winds up being clear across the country.

These are the facts of life when buying a highly desireable car that has such limited availability. I don't like it, wish I had a better alternative but the simple truth is, if you really want the car, you have to compromise on either paying more money, buying out of state, waiting longer, buy a leftover, or just forget the whole idea.

I live within 50 miles of probably a dozen
full line Chevrolet dealers, and not one of them, IMHO, is worthy of earning my business.

Unfortunately, in many cases, the buyers, the ones paying all the money, have very little, if any control over the availability and/or delivery process when so few dealers in reality have so few allocations to go around and/or are seemingly unwilling to sell at a fair and reasonable price. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm working with Hoover Chevrolet out of PA. I put down a deposit on an 02' allocation at MSRP.

Hoover received one allocation last year and I'm first in line this year. They've sold over 5 01' Z06's thus far through trades and other deals. I hope they get the allocation, if not I get my deposit back.

I hear you guys from California... markups around here are unreal! In Santa Rosa, CA the Chevy dealer had an 01' listed at $15,995 above MSRP! SUCK EGGS SANTA ROSA CHEVY!

I'll deal with someone who's willing to sell at MSRP or below.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts