Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

In the next month or so I am looking to buy a corvette z06. I would really like to buy a new 04, but i know these can be hard to find. I live in South FLorida and i have only found 1.

Anyways, if i have to buy a used one, waht are some of the major differences between the 02, 03, and 04 years?

ALso, whats good to look for in a used z06? I plan on sending it to Lingenfelter for some mods afterwards so if something isnt workin right i can always get it fixed.

Im not interested in the 06 Z06, I like the C5's better.

thanks
Darren

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think the differences between the 02 and 03 come down to the badging (50th anniversary silver badges). The 04 had different shocks.

The 04 Z16 had different: paint, shocks (same as 04 z06), stripes, and a carbon hood.

There may be more, not totally sure.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If you're making updates anyway, Then I say it doesnt make a diffrence.

the 03 have a distintive 50th anniversity Emblems, they cost about $30 a piece, I dont think thats an issue

the 04s have better or updated shocks and a diffrent fuel system from the 02s and 03s

I also believe and 03 and 04 come complety loaded and the 02s depends on the options that was built with.

If I were you, I would get that 1 brand new 04 you found, theres nothing like breaking in your car and that new car smell cant be beat :thumb:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I would personally count out the 01 and 02's.

Go for a 03 or 04. I really feel those two cars are very close.

For warranty if the price works, goto the 04!

ENJOY THE RIDE.
-Bill. :sneaky:

·
Registered
415 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
the 04s have better or updated shocks and a diffrent fuel system from the 02s and 03s
Just as an "oh by the way"

GM started using C5's as a test bed for the C6 fuel system in 2003. My Z has the C6 fuel system. The code can be found inside the glove box door. (not sure which code it is.)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
02's and early 03's no major differences. later 03 and 04's the changes are noted above. I'll add steel shift forks. When buying consider condition, mileage and price. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you are sending to LPE for extensive modification, 427 TT or the likes, I would not waste the money buying a later model. Any year model will be fine and the earlier years would be several thousand dollars less which can be used to go toward your modifications.

The changes over the 4 years of production were incremental. It comes down to whether or not you are going to stay stock or not. If you are keeping it stock, then I would say look for an 04, they can be had for around $40K. It sounds like you are not going to stay stock, so find a good looking low to medium miles car of any of the model years.

If you are going to open up the engine, an 01 is the best selection. You will be replacing most if not all of the incremental changes and you can pick up an 01 for upper $20Ks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you are going to do heavy engine mods then I would go 02 - 03. If you are doing exhaust and intake I'd go with the 04.
Whats the difference in the fuel system?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Performance wise, the 04 had new shocks. I guess you could also include the 04 Z16's carbon fiber hood as performance related. Otherwise the differences are small and unseen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Darren - the headliner and interior A-pillars were also changed between '02 and '03 (head impact considerations). If you're tall, it may make a difference - a little more room in the '02. Supposedly it is easy to retrofit the headliner, but I'm not tall enough to have it bother me.

Also - and this is petty, but it was a consideration for me - the '03s and '04s had the LATCH system to make it easier to attach an infant or child seat to the passenger seat. Since I like to raise my kid up right - she goes for rides.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The 01 Came Out Before Developement Was Finished - Had The 02 03 04 Not Come Out - They Would Not Have Been Missed - Unfortunately For The 01 The 02 03 04 Came Out . You Should Get The 02 03 04 - This Is The Complete Package Better In Many Ways - Inferior In None - It's The Way To Go - And You Won't Waste A Lot Of Money Trying To Bring The 01 Up To The Specs Of The Others - When You Make The Right Choice You Have No Regrets Later - Do What You Want - Prices Are Low Now - Grad Your Dream - Good Luck

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Pick up a new one if you can find it. Go to the Kelly Blue Book site, (KBB.com) and put in what you want. It will direct you to stocking dealers in the South East and have a look see. I found a new 04 Z71 Tahoe late last year in the South East. We had a lot of Hurricane damaged cars around here so be careful. I went through 11 Z71's before I found one in the color I wanted that was not damaged or other dealer b.s.

D.J.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts