Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have squeaky brakes.! I only have 1500 miles on the car and took it very easy for the first 500-1000 miles and had no squeaks. Now it seems my front right tire squeaks every time I apply the brakes. It is very embarasing to drive up in a beautiful car like this and have everyone stare because the hear that noise... :(

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I was wondering if my 02 had something wrong with it but it squeaks too. Not so loud that its embarrassing. But it does squeak a little bit. Racecars squeak alittle bit so thats my excuse :)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
It's the type of pad my friend. Mine do it occasionally. Oh well... :)

It helps to stop briskly from about 40- 50 MPH... usually will stop the noise for a short time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Same problem on 02 ZO6..usually when pulling in the garage,some pad noise..:cheers:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just cleared 500 miles tonight (phew, talk about infinite patience :lol: ), and I noticed the squeaking around the 150 mark. It managed to go away by the time 400 rolled around so I didn't think much of it. Hope it doesn't come back.

All you guys with squeaks, were they there from the start?

--pdx_Z

·
Registered
764 Posts
GM sacrificed a little more sqeaking and break dust for slightly improved performance with the 02 pads versus the 01.

If the sqeaks or dust bother you too much just switch to the 01 pads. :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi there,
Dave Peacy, Mark M, and myself had a conversation about this concern, along with the dusting on the 02 pads.
Fanatical, is exactly right. The suggestion was to install 01 pads to correct this situation, if the customer decides that there is an issue.
It was a suggestion, and nothing set in stone. I have swapped a couple, with no further issues.
Besttoyou, c4c5:z:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I had the squeaking also, and yes it's embarrassing.

Mine no longer squeak. When I replaced the rototrs with the zinc washed Baer Eradispeeds the noise ceased.

ANYONE ELSE out there with Eradispeeds still hear the squeak?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info, If the noise persists after a few hundred miles more , I may switch the pads. ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just put mine away for the winter with 600+ miles. I have had some squeek occasionally since about the first 60 miles. It comes and goes, but I dont know/ dont realize what happens to quiet them. After it squeeks, I just hit the gas and forget all about the brake noise... :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Every once in a while my 02 will squeak, usually right after I wash it.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Could be......

...the pads and/or rotors need to be rebedded. This sometimes happens if they are used too "hard" before warming up. Has something to do with the pad release agent.

1. Drive the car normally for 1/2 to 1 hour, not using the brakes hard, to heat up the system.

2. up to 80-100 MPH then hard stop down to 20 MPH.
Do this 3 - 5 times in rapid order. Take it home and put it to bed trying not to use the brakes to much on the way home. *

3. Let the brakes cool down overnight and repeat 2 more times.

4. Refrain from using the brakes "hard" before they are warmed up in the future. And allow them to cool down correctly before putting another heat cycle in them. That's what cool down laps are for on the track AND on the way Home.

If squel persists after this have a mechanic check the pad seating, making sure the are clean. Check for pad taper.

* If you don't have a local track to do this on it might be possible to use your local Cloverleaf at an off peak time.. I'm not recommending this and you had better have a good
"Well Officer, I was just.....",
in your back pocket!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
No squeaks but.....

Man the brake dust! It's like Mount Vesuvius:eek:
:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts