Corvette Z06 Forum banner

02 Z - What to do about the Column Lock?

• I have a Column Lock bypass on my 02 ZO6

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I am going to put a Column Lock bypass on my 02 ZO6

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I think the GM fix has taken care of the Column Lock problem.

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have read, there has been a case of an 02 ZO6 having the Column Lock problem. I had a bypass in my 99 and am considering one for the 02. Of course I don't want to do it if the problem has been solved. I also thought that I read that the bypass did not work with the "fix" GM put in for this problem and that C5 solutions needed to create a new bypass. Just curious how many are taking a wait-and-see with the column lock on the 02.

- Charley

·
Registered
327 Posts
I installed the C5 Solutions collum lock bypass on my '02 Z06. I had not heard that GM fixed this problem and I bought this piece before I even recieved the car. I installed it anyway and it works fine. Now I don't hear that buzz sound of the electronic motor anymore either. Even if GM fixed this, it is worth the piece of mind over not getting stuck...

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
C/L Bypass 60, shipped free in the continental U.S.

We carry the bypass at Exit 28 and have stock on them.

The bypass will NOT work WITH the GM supposed fix. I have confimed that with C5 Solutions in the past.

If we can earn anyones business on one, please let us know.

RG

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Re: C/L Bypass 60, shipped free in the continental U.S.

The GM supposed fix:-? is that on the 2002 models? I have a 2001 Z06.

RG in Dallas said:

The bypass will NOT work WITH the GM supposed fix. I have confimed that with C5 Solutions in the past.

RG
:-?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: C/L Bypass 60, shipped free in the continental U.S.

RG in Dallas said:

RG
RG, That is what I thought, I am a little confused. Don't all 2002's have the fix? If so, how is anyone using the bypass on a 2002?
Thanks.

- Charley

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Re: Re: C/L Bypass 60, shipped free in the continental U.S.

CDHough said:

RG, That is what I thought, I am a little confused. Don't all 2002's have the fix? If so, how is anyone using the bypass on a 2002?
Thanks.

- Charley
The bypass won't work OVER the new system by GM, either the recall campaign or the new 02's. 01's, yes.

RG

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So How is ZO SIC (Brian) with an 02 able to successfully put the bypass in? :-?

So if I understand this correctly, If you own an 02, you CANNOT bypass the column lock right now because there is not a compatible product. I guess we will have to see how many cases of 02s with the column lock occur. If there are enough, maybe C5 solutions will produce another version of their product.

Thanks for the info RG.

- Charley

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I talked to Tom the manufacturer of the column lock bypass and he said it does not work in the 02's, I am going to "try" to install one on my car later this week.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Carl, I will be very interested in your results. It almost sounds as if that is what Brian (ZO SIC) might have done.

- Charley

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I installed a bypass kit on my 02 two weeks ago. Works fine.
Not sure if I needed to, but due to my Cobra seat install, I brush the wheel pretty hard with my legs when I get in and out. So, I bought the piece of mind for $50.
Install was a piece of cake per in the included directions.
I wasn't able to get the pin lock motor to move with the included "hot wire" so I had to turn the car on (to get the pin to clear out) then install the bypass then reset the computer by removing some fuses (all of which was amply explained in the documentation with the kit).
Ffen

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
RECALL??????........' 01's

I haven't heard of THIS problem before.........(what a learning experience).
I take it, you can be stranded by the column NOT wanting to UNLOCK......Correct?????
If this is the case......what do I do as a new owner of an ' 01?????
Thanks

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
What next?????

How many more little idiosyncrasies do these c 5's have??......
What does the dealer do, if you get locked up???
Are you responsible to get it towed to them?, and foot the bill..........
Also, it seems some of the so called fixes do not work.......
Oh well, something new every day.................:lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I not her the bypass is not really meant for the steering wheel not wanting to unlock, but to preventing from locking up while driving. is this true?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I do not plan on installing a SCL bypass on my '02. I do, howver, wait a second or two AFTER turning the ignition on before I start the engine.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Zippy............

What is the purpose for your waiting?????..............
I'm kinda like Lucy..........Ricky always told her she had some "Splainin' to do"..........same here, i am Lucy.....pls splain':roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts