Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys.

Sorry to say, I got exactly five passes in all of 2003. My business and personal schedules have kept me focused on other things. So I had to make the most of this single opportunity today at Maryland International Raceway in Buds Creek.

For the occasion, decided to remove my Halltech Tric and drag radials, which had been my only departures from factory stock. So to be clear...everything else is as it left the showroom floor. The stock air box with lid and the factory air filter were in place. Timing is stock. Stock Ti exhaust. Stock shifter also and no shift light.

Since my last trip to the track was in December 2002, it took several runs to regain the hang of things, especially to refrain from over-powering the stock tires on launch and the shifts. 12.208, 12.409. Water temp was running 230. So I turned on the high speed fans using a piece of wire to jump the switch. Water temp came down to 194. Next run 12.106, and then with is better launch, 11.999. Density Altitude (DA) was plus 70 feet. (All readings are from Ernie King's TAG weather station)

Parked for a while to cool it down. Decided to make one more pass. Air temp had risen to 58 degrees. DA was plus 170 feet. Excellent air but well short of "mine shaft" conditions.

With water temp at 194 and Oil at 185, I lowered the launch rpm to 3100 and got the clutch out fast...within the first 4'-6' feet of forward movement. Made softer shifts to 2d and 3d than on the 11.99 run. And powershifted 4th at an indicated 6500, my only powershift of the day.

Here are the results:

60'.........1.783
330'.......5.038
660'.......7.669 @ 93.96 mph
1000'.....9.918
1320'...11.818 @ 117.26

At my request, tower personnel verified and signed my time slip, which I will post on Monday with access to a scanner at work. Also several of our club racers were present, including Ernie King and Steve Row who saw that pass and will probably join the thread to verify.

EDIT: Added a link to the certified timeslip for this run:

Sorry my season was so short this year. But it was a good outcome and didn't have a chance to break anything. I have been missing the sights, sounds, and smells of the drag strip, and, most of all, the camaraderie of my racing buddies.

Best to all,

Ranger

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Congrats :cheers:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ranger, Congrats on the runs you made, I darn near messed my pants when you ran the 11.81... Besides the GREAT driving, that is one Strong car.

02 Z06, man you should of been there, great day and early (before noon) you could just make run after run.

Just a note, a couple other members had some strong runs as well, but I won't say anything..

Ernie:cheers:

·
Premium Member
20,627 Posts
Damnit!!! Why did my vette have to be at criswell getting new 4th gear synchros??? :cry:

Congrats to a GREAT Driver...John Armstrong!!
A 1.78 60' on F1's!! :eek: Simply F'in AWESOME!!! :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Great times Ranger!:cool: :cheers:

Les

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Congrats on a very impressive run.
I guess that means I'm #2 now....

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted to be in #1 spot. Now I guess I'll have to put the lid back on the car, and see if I can beat an 11.81. I guess the old clutch is in for a thrashing soon.

Anyhow, I'll be shooting for your 11.55 also. I'll be trying to hit that 11.49 on ET Streets.

Anyhow, I hope you can find some time to make it out to the track more often next year. Congrats again on the very impressive run.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is the real deal! I was right behind Ranger. Ssitting in the water box ready to do a burnout. I watched from launch to lights coming on.

It was a great launch, especially for stock tires. No spin to speak of. The shifts to 2nd, 3rd, & 4th were solid and without tire spin. That really surprised me. But when the lights came on with 11.81, I just started screaming and cussing in amazement and frustration ( I was not on my game). The starter was laughing at me. I could not match Ranger's times and I was on drag radials and I have a Vortex air box.

Ranger and I have been on the same dyno back to back. The dyno shows 6 more HP for him when both of us have cold air boxes on.

Just goes to show you that Ranger is a DRIVER!!

Way to go, John.

:cheers: :cheers: :lol: :D :lol:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks.

Five runs sure isn't much of a season. I hope to get more track time in 2004.

The air on Saturday at MIR was excellent. but NOT the mid-to high 40s that was forecasted. We instead got mid-to-high 50s once the lanes opened at about 10:30. Of course, anytime the density altitude is 100-200 feet with very low humidity, it's a lot of fun. Wish I could send some of that good air to all of you at the higher altitudes.

It was really great to run again with Steve Row, Ernie King, and Dick L, the Regulars, all of whom were running 11s all day. We missed Mike Siska, whose car is on a tech's rack near here. He should be ready for the MIR private event on the 21st...wearing my "lucky" BFGs. Good luck, Mike.

Good to finally meet Bob Anderson face to face after several racing email exchanges. He made some strong passes, all in the 11s.

I'd like to close with one point that made my 11.81 run. I went faster than the just prior 11.99 run by SLOWING down...the launch rpm and the shifts. Result was less spin on the launch and virtually NO spin on the shifts to 2d and 3d because they were a little slower. Going faster by nearly eliminating spin. That's not real hard on drag radials, but it takes conscious effort on stock F1SCs.

Finally, thanks, J-Rod. Best of luck to you. Under the right circumstances, 11.40s can be had, even on BFGs. So on ET-Streets, you have a good shot, just need the right conditions and the perfect run.

Ranger

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Well, this confirms what I suspected the day I drove my Z06 off the dealer's lot in June - that GM really did deliver me an out of the box hot rod. Of course, a great driver like Ranger I am not. And we get these conditions (good air and great prepped track) on rare occasions here in the Northeast. But nonetheless, 11.8 is fast and I dare say that few of our competition (Cobras, Vipers, etc.) are capable of this performance in "stock" form.

Thanks for doing such a great job with my/your's/our car(s).

Don

·
Registered
469 Posts
ranger

welcome back bro!!!!!:cheers:

the zo6 drag racing world is not the same with out you!!!

i got to tell you ....i have learned alot from you

when we met in cecil is when i started getting in to this

and the rest is history!!!!!

nice to see ya back!!!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've just been waiting for Powershifter to come in and get this party started. I'm ready for some, "timers must have been off."
;)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.