Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waited to see if someone else would post this, but the Electron Blue Z06 that was at the Black Hills Classic was put on the portable dynojet and made 3 pulls with the best at about 325 rwhp and 325 rwt. The car had about 10,000 miles on it. Those #s are similar to what many stock '01 Z06s did in the Minneapolis area on DRM's dynojet. The driver thought maybe he had bad gas as the car seemed to stumble. It will be interesting to see what other '02s do.

01 Z06-- Quicksilver, modified torch red interior, DRM roll bar and harnesses, DRM long tube headers, cam, CNC heads, 10.9 to 1 compression ratio, Donaldson LS6, Corsa Indys, Euro tail lights, B&M Ripper, 496 crank hp,
421.7 rwhp, 483 crank torque, 410.6 rwt (Mustang Dyno) Minneapolis,Mn
Ron M.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, nothing fishy about it. The dyno and results were in plain view Wed. July 18, on Main St. in downtown Souix Falls S.D. during the big street party that takes place there for all those on the way to the Black Hills Classic. I also saw an '01 Z06 dyno 365+ rwhp with long tubes and a Donaldson on that same dyno.

It is likely that there was problem with that car, or else the '02s are not any stronger than '01s which seems unlikely.

As far as seeing many '01s dyno 335 or so rwhp stock, that is correct, some do 325, some do 345. Depends on the car, the dyno,and the operator. My own car saw a 16 rwhp difference from one dyno to another. My sig. contains the higher of the two. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve, none taken. I assumed that you meant with the dyno operator or something. I know the result created a lot of stir and the driver wasn't too happy. He did attribute it to bad gasoline and I know we'll see some more dyno #s from '02 owners soon. I would expect them to range from about 340 on a conservative dyno to maybe 365 on a Mustang dyno. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Ron, I hope that '02 is just a fluke. BTW, why so many miles on the car? Was it brought to Spearfish by a GM employee showing off the new color? If so, you'd think they'd bring a car "known" to be 100% and/or meet the new HP spec before putting it on a dyno for "the eyes of the world (all) to see".

Obviously, I assume you are stating the rwhp "corrected" measurement for that dyno in Spearfish.

What we are all really waiting to hear about is your speedo accurate after correlating to a GPS???

I still think you did an honest 180+ mph and am waiting to be proven correct. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dyno # was corrected for Souix Falls, and the car was one of the early Z06 captured fleet cars built a few months ago. The driver has as a goal to drive the most miles each year in his captured fleet car. Ask Frank, he knows all about this maniac. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
In tune '02 should see 340-350 on an accurate dyno.

Accurate is hard to find in Dyno land what with software, hardware, operators, and egos involved.

Hope it wasn't an E-Blue '01.... did it sport the HUD?

I have a pal driving an '02 and he's a good judge. He say's the '02 is a clear howdy by SOTP.

1fastdog

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't know how to calculate crack horsepower, but if you mean crank it's about /0.85. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif We seriously need some other 2002 dyno results because if this is all that a 2002 Z06 will do I'm canceling my order. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

J

·
0 Posts
I would imagine the coolant temp was above 200 and it affected dyno performance and besides dynos easily have a variance of 3% in my humble opinion..

Take it too the track..thats where the power should show up or NOT?

Could have been a plug..or gas..or coolant...or a Ford employee

·
Registered
0 Posts

On 2001-07-27 22:03, JBsC5 spewed forth this drivel:
Take it too the track..thats where the power should show up or NOT?
Agree, the track is the real dyno. I've never seen a race won on a dyno.

Could have been a Ford employee.
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

·
Registered
298 Posts
Actually, this could be a good thing if the power is down from the rated 405hp. I can drive my EB Z06 for about a year and then I will let GM buy it back and get the '03 Z06/Anniversary car. A friend of mine went through this with the Cobra a year ago. He put 14K miles on it when he discovered, along with everyone else, that the car was not up to par with the HP ratings from the factory. He said Ford Motor Co. bought the car back at the EXACT price, taxes and all, that he paid for it brand new. I told him he was lucky because I thought they would take out some depreciation just like GM did on my '97 Coupe that was a buy-back. I'm guessing this is a different situation..... I'm still betting that the '02s will be turning the same times as the '01s when everyone starts hitting the tracks after their cars are broken in.........

Maybe GM is using G-Tech to get their 0-60 times? I'm sure I've seen a few members that could run a 4 flat 0-60 on the G-Tech..... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Blue Z06 was a true 2002 Z06, Russ was the GM employee driving it (Frank knows him), I met & talked to him at the Classic but did not see the dyno run. I did see a yellow 2001 Z06 dyno there and his third & best run was 335 RWH...I talked to him & his car is bone stock (no K&N or anything). I didn't get my car in there but will dyno it in the next month or two (mine is stock right now except for K & N filter). BTW the classic was great and lots of neat little road trips (Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Spearfish Canyon, and the Badlands just to name a few) everybody ought to go there atleast once.

·
Registered
316 Posts

On 2001-07-27 19:17, beggar spewed forth this drivel:
I don't know how to calculate crack horsepower, but if you mean crank it's about /0.85. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif We seriously need some other 2002 dyno results because if this is all that a 2002 Z06 will do I'm canceling my order. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif
Hahahahaa... ya not crack hp.. but crank
hp..
thanks begger.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I hope "the press" don't get there hands on THAT car or it will be curtains for the new model reviews. I would expect a zero deviation spec'd 2002 Z06 (running right) to put out nominally 355 rwhp (corrected). Anything higher means flywheel HP (SAE) is probably greater than spec. 50hp lost thru the drivetrain (at 6000 rpm) may be a bit high. 40hp lost is probably more accurate when dyno'd in 4th gear. In which case we may see some really strong unmodified LS6 2002 cars dyno at the rear wheels closer to 360 plus.

325rwhp (or ~375hp at the "crank") is really terrible and that GM Engr should have known better than to dyno'd THAT car in public. I'd bet a lot of 2001 owners are not at all dismayed about this. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

On the other hand, I can only imagine how much abuse a car like that has endured in its first 10k miles, bad gas notwithstanding. A "press car" may well suffer the same fate. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts