Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil at ~500 miles. During the 1st 500 miles it was difficult for me to determine the exact oil level reading on my dipstick but it looked normal. Now with 1500 miles on my Z it's easier to read (?) and the dipstick reads half way between max and min. I've been watching it for the last 500 miles and it seems to be a constant reading. <phew> I plan on changing the oil again soon and will check the dipstick oil level after ensuring that 6.5 qts was used to re-fill the engine. I've heard and read posts regarding a dipstick re-design in 2001 that may be causing the dipstick to reflect a low reading when the engine is filled with 6.5 qts. Can someone tell me what their dipstick reading is on a 02 Z06 after re-filling with 6.5 qts?

Thanks,
02BlueZ06

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
02BlueZ06 .. I haven't changed mine yet, so I don't have direct knowledge, but a number of owners of '02s have reported needing to add 7 qts to hit the dipstick's 'full' line, despite GM's insistence upon 6.5. In either case, as long as your oil level is not dropping, you're fine .. well within the operational range. It sounds like they put in 6.5 when they changed it.

Maybe part of the problem is that if you don't get the rear of the car a little higher than the front when the old oil is drained, there may be a pint or so that doesn't come out .. in that case it would only take 6.5 to bring it to the full line. Just guessing.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The Old Oil Capacity Debate Continues

All I know is that my 2002 Z (and others have reported) are coming from the factory with the oil level at the "FULL" mark on the dipstick. I guess I don't care if it takes 6.5 qts or 7 qts to obtain "FULL" on the dipstick. I'm going to put in as much oil as it takes to get to the "FuLL" mark -- and most people have been reporting that is 7 qts :D.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The New For Me, Old For You Oil Capacity Debate Continues

ZeeOhSix said:
All I know is that my 2002 Z (and others have reported) are coming from the factory with the oil level at the "FULL" mark on the dipstick. I guess I don't care if it takes 6.5 qts or 7 qts to obtain "FULL" on the dipstick. I'm going to put in as much oil as it takes to get to the "FuLL" mark -- and most people have been reporting that is 7 qts :D.

ZeeOhSix,
Have you changed you oil yet? How much oil did you put in to get it to read full? What did the stick read with 6.5 qts?

I'm a little more cautious and for the type of driving I do I think I'll stick with the vette engineers recommendation of 6.5 qts vice putting in 7 qts. AFAIK, the engineers have not changed their recommendation from 6.5 to 7 qts.

My short-term dilemma: Until I know what level 6.5 qts shows on my dipstick, I have no baseline reference for judging oil consumption since my last oil change. That's why I asked. If other 02 Z06 owners are seeing 6.5 qts at the same level on their dipsticks as mine, then I feel pretty good about not having an oil consumption problem since my last oil change.

02BlueZ06

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Fill it

To the max line.........running it there will be fine, and you will not be able to monitor your oil usage unless you fill it there,,,,,,,,
My ' 01 came filled to that line also, and i will keep it there.......

·
Registered
373 Posts
Indeed all the technical data shows the 6.5 qt (with filter, PF44) to be correct. Equally as correct, is that the DIC comes on to show low oil warning if you only put in 6.5 qts. from 100-300 miles after you have done this oil change. As a result, I put in a full 7 qts and I get the low oil warning light at app 5000 mile intervals. Add now, add later. I dont like to add later because it is usually, tells me to do it at inopportune times. (such as on a road trip in a gas station in who knows where when I have to take the Colgan bra off to pop the hood.)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Changed oil and filter at aprox 950 miles ..refilled with 6.5 qts..oil level reads full..usually check once a week ,no oil usage:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
originally posted by Z06LS6:
"...and you will not be able to monitor your oil usage unless you fill it there,,,,,,,,"

hmmmm....What does it matter if I start watching it half-way between min and max vs at max? Seems to me as long as I reference the starting point, it wouldn't matter if it's full or not. Help me out...did I miss something in your post? BTW, I am not involved in a GM oil consumption test...just my own curiosity at this point. Thanks.

originally posted by ruking1:
"Equally as correct, is that the DIC comes on to show low oil warning if you only put in 6.5 qts. from 100-300 miles after you have done this oil change."

Haven't heard that one unles you are experiencing an oil consumption problem. I haven't had a low oil warning yet...after changing the oil 1000 miles ago. Hope all is well for you. Thanks.

ZOWHAT,
Thanks for the reference! I'll be sure and report the dipstick reading after my next oil change for reference as well.

02BlueZ06

·
Registered
373 Posts
No oil concerns at all, given the high performance nature of the z06 engine. I am used to a consumption rate of 1/4 to 1/2 per 15,000 mile oil change interval in Toyota Landcruiser products. So in comparison, 1 qt in 5000 miles is a bit much, but for this z06 that is considered better than normal.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a 2002 Z06, The oil level was at full mark when I picked up the car.I changed the oil at 800 miles,mobil 1,gold filter. I added 6.5 quarts of oil and it only went to the halfway point on the dipstick.oil is checked in the same location every time.When i changed the oil,I did have the back of the car higher than the front, and let it drain maby an hour, I am tempted to ad to the full mark, but Ihave not done so yet.I can also say that the car has not burned any oil after 2500 miles and many red-line shifts:cool:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I think it makes some difference if you do a quicky oil change without raising the rear of the car vs. raising the rear and letting it drain for hours. I'm sure the GM engineers based the oil change volume on a typical "Minute Lube" type of an oil change procedure.

All I know is that my car's oil level was at the "F" mark on the dipstick when it came off the transport truck, and it's going to be at "F" after I change the oil -- even if it means putting in 7 qts.

02BlueZ06 -- I will be changing the oil in the next week or so, but I already know that if I raise the rear and drain it for hours it will take 7 qts to hit the "Full" mark. It was that way on my 2001 Coupe also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
"I'm sure the GM engineers based the oil change volume on a typical "Minute Lube" type of an oil change procedure." ZeeOhSix

That makes as much sense as any explanation I've heard.

The oil level on this Z06 was right on the Full mark from BG. Four miles on the Odo. I changed the oil at ~600 miles. The car was properly elevated and given plenty of time to drain. It took 7 quarts (M1 5w-30) with UPF - 44. Filled the new filter with oil and replaced the drain plug with a magnetic one. Oil level hit the full mark exactly. Drove 1,900 more miles and saw maybe 1/5 (0.20) qt. low. Changed oil and filter again, same procedure. Some very small ferrous particles (no babbit mixed in) on magnet. Filled with 7 qts. Oil level exactly on the Full mark again.

This engine does not have an oil consumption problem IMHO. I would not be surprised if the rings seated even better with a few more miles, but I am happy with this rate of use. I want it to use a little oil.

:eek: :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Like QKSLVR, I did my first oil change at just below 1,000 miles - elevating the rear of the car about 6 inches higher than the front. Waited about 30-40 minutes for the drain. Put in Gold filter and 6.5 qts. I checked the oil level and it was a bit low - it took another 1/2 qt to the level up to full. It came that way from the factory. No discernible oil usage as of yet...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies folks! :cheers:

Will change the oil soon and post my dipstick reading afterwards.

02BlueZ06

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I changed my oil with 1106 miles on the car. After following the LS1 guys advice I let the motor drain for about 1 or two hours. Once all the drips had stopped I pre-filled the filter (which is about 1/2 a quart). I put 6 in the case and fired the car up. A check of the stick showed in the middle of the hash marks. With as slow as the motor drains I could see 1/2 quart being left int there if you close it up quick. I suggest getting the oil up to temperature before changing it, so it drains quicker. So, I would think 7 quarts is safe. Especially on a new motor which may use a little. I have checked mine twice and seen no use thus far with 1600 miles.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
02Blue......

No, you didn't miss anything, it seems a lot easier, and more readily discernable if you use a line that is POSITIVE.......
Just winging it, from "around", the middle somewhere to me is a bit awkward.....I like to have concrete starting, and reference points.......
That all said, do whatever you feel is easiest to / for yourself......:D

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
To get an accurate reading, let the car sit overnight. Pull the dipstick out without wiping it off first thing in the morning. It's easier to read and very accurate:)

HTH

·
Registered
384 Posts
Oil Level

I believe that I watched a video by GM that suggested to add 1 quart if the car is to be used on track. Now does that mean that there would be 7.5 qts or 8 qts in the pan. At any rate there can't be a problem with 7 qts if they recommend adding an extra one for extreme service use?

02 Mod Red Yellow on the way

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was asking that same question. Is anyone running the extra oil
on the street? What harm would running the extra on the street cause? Good for racing cheap insurance on the street!

·
Registered
991 Posts
First oil change 7qt

Have done the first oil change now. The car came with the oil showing "full" on the dipstick. We had the rear end of the car a little higher than the front. Let it drain untill no more was there. Installed a UPF44,, mag. drain plug and it took 7 quarts to reach the "full" mark. After sitting over night the stick reads right on the full mark.
7 qts for me I guess, thats how it came.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts